• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone Interested in the Forensic Sciences?

Madame Catfish

...Fascinating...
It seems that some of the most popular mainstream "Aspie" books feature an Aspergian interested in this particular area (Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, House Rules, etc.) and I happen to be involved in this area as well. Is this simply a small coincidence or are there a lot of Forensic Scientists in the aspie world? If so, why do you think it is so?

I would take a stab at it being because a lot of Aspies are capable of "zooming in" to the fine details and filtering out the detritus

I would love to be a Pathologist, but then I became a nurse and now have to retake statistics just to get a bachelors in nursing. Doesn't a Pathologist need more eduction than that? Oh yeah, I forgot a Pathologist has to become a doctor first then branch off into that specialty area resulting in about a total of 8-10 yrs of schooling! I probably would be ready for retirement by the time I graduated at the rate I'm going. I would much rather work with the dead than the living. You definitely can't kill a person twice!

I personally love Forensic Science but I don't pursue it as a career because I'm like the only Aspie in the world who is terrible at math.

Academically I know it's one of the most brutal majors for college undergrads. Cool profession though...

I was on the verge of becoming a forensic scientist, I was planning to go into forensic anthropology, since I was already majoring in anthro, but my school didn't have a great program, and the other schools I wanted to attend were either too far away , too expensive or would not accept my transfer credits. Now I am satisfied with pursuing a possible career in computer forensics, I know quite a bit different, but I still get to help solve puzzles and mysteries.

I only have a TV explanation, so I'm thinking Abby from NCIS and Bones. My attraction to forensic science is that it is a big puzzle that you get to do a lot of cross reference and research on to find the answer, and you get to learn a bunch of neat facts along the way. My big turn off is that I am only familiar with the crime scene aspect, and the thought of brutalized and rotting bodies keeps me far, far away. And I'm sure that's not the only smell I wouldn't be able to handle in a lab.

I wanted to become a Forensic Pathologist when I was in high school. I was put off by having to study to become a doctor first.

I personally love Forensic Science but I don't pursue it as a career because I'm like the only Aspie in the world who is terrible at math.

You are not the only one!

I do love forensic stuff but people in the field told me I was too tender-hearted to deal with how depressing it could be. Looking back, they were right. I get upset just reading about it, years after the fact!

New Threads

Top Bottom