• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone have depression?

It's always there, just under the surface. Sometimes I can't get out of bed. Sometimes I just want to die. Sometimes I do get out of bed. Sometimes I spend time with friends, hobbies, laughing. But it's always there. Even if you don't see it.

I had a horrible outburst of depression a few years ago, I still have marks because of self harm. I contemplated suicide. I went to therapists, and although that did help, I personally think that the best help was from talking to friends and family.

I had a horrible outburst of depression a few years ago, I still have marks because of self harm. I contemplated suicide. I went to therapists, and although that did help, I personally think that the best help was from talking to friends and family.
I can agree with you if a person haves that in their life. For me i find dating helped me and have someone that cares. But this is still based on your same idea so you shared good advice.

It's always with me.Sometimes very bad and other times mild. Anxiety makes it a hell of a lot worse. I have suicidal thoughts etc when I'm extremely anxious. Fun life I have eh?

Yes, I've had depression, I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Episode at the same time as AS. I couldn't go on with my job because of anxiety, became physically ill and lost a lot of weight. I've been depressed off and on throughout my life, but this was the first time it was officially diagnosed. It has never been so severe that I've been suicidal and I never self-harmed, unless you consider not eating properly self-harming.

I'm too mad to be depressed. Although, interestingly, in an article I read of women vs. men depression, women are the ones more prone to the classic symptoms of crying and sadness, while men are more prone to just being grumpy and broody. So I guess I have manly depression. Now I'm too amused to be depressed. :D

The doctor told me I was suffering from depression a few years ago when stuck right in the middle of a very very difficult family situation. Kept being referred to a counsellor (being young, they didn't want me on tablets) but I didn't want to go...I like to cope in my own way even if it isn't coping? I prefer to squish everything that hurts so it doesn't affect me..Although, of course it does somehow.

I was diagnosed with depression and put on meds when I was about 18. I didn't have depression, it was migraine mixed with overload. When another doctor tried to diagnose me with depression a few years ago, moreover with bipolar, I got really pissed off and sent a complaint to the clinic administration. After I started monitoring migraines I can clearly see when so-called depression comes (btw I'm not undermining actual depression here in any way), for me, apparently it happens after the peak, during the "aftermath" (there's actually a name for it, but I forgot). I start feeling more insecure during those days, or like nothing matters, like I don't care or want to care about anything. Then the symptoms go away as suddenly as they appear. All my symptoms come unexpectedly. Sometimes it feels like, something switches in my brain and that's it, no way back...

Last edited:
I do struggle with depression - I think it is fueled by social isolation, loneliness, criticism from loved ones, and never being able to measure up to the accomplishments of others and to be "enough." :(

I have had recurrent episodes of depression for the past 8 years or so. I currently manage my depression with medication and CBT, and am finally starting to recover from a particularly long-lasting bout! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom