• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else really silly as a child?

Misty Avich

I prefer to be referred to as ADHD
V.I.P Member
I know all children can be silly so I'm not sure if this was just a kid thing or if I was a little more extreme because of ADHD.

I remember when I was little, around about age 5 or 6, I was laying in bed calling things in my room a silly word then laughing hysterically. I called other family members into my room, asked them what an object was, then when they said what it was I yelled "no, it's a [whatever the silly word I made up was]!" and laughed helplessly. I don't think my family got cross but they probably got exhausted from my silliness.

Yet little girls on the mild end of the spectrum are supposed to be little professors? I don't think I was. I was either screwing around being silly and hyperactive, or crying, whining and demanding, or behaving sulkily for attention.

Yep I definitely was rather silly as a child, and heck still am to a certain extent.

I guess to be exact I never really truly stopped being silly, even though my father tried to get me to stop time and time again but I guess I just wound up learning to just not be silly around him. Ofc once my little brother was born I was able to be silly around him because little kids love that kinda thing, though I'd still get weird looks from my father at times and once my little brother got old enough my father told me to "stop playing so childishly around him! It's time for him to grow up and that might set him back!", so I then had to learn to stop being silly around my little brother too sadly.

It's ridiculous how the double standards can be around silliness..
I say that because when I was younger being silly was a-okay, it was cute, it was endearing, but as I got older it eventually became "weird", "annoying", and "childish". But gosh darn it I still like being silly! What's wrong with that? Who is that harming?

Hmm.. is it possible for silliness to be a stim of sorts? Just a thought I had while typing this.

I wasn't silly at all. In fact, I was so devoid of silliness that you might say it was rather silly.

I had a silly sense of humour as a child, and still do - particulary toilet humour. Also, I thought farces and practical jokes were hilarious.

I was very serious as a child. I did not learn how to be silly until much later in life. Life is better with a little silliness though.

No, I was actually the opposite as a child. However, a friend's daughter who has ADHD was like that.

I was often so quiet, that I was forgotten.

I would watch other of the same age and wonder why I was not like that?

As an adult, I can be silly, especially, when it is to do with my obsessions.

I was never forgotten at home lol. I was loud in the playground at school but quiet in class, because being the center of attention in a large group caused social anxiety for me so I had to force myself to be quiet. I could get silly if I were sitting with my friends though, though not as silly as I was at home, but I did grow out of that sort of behaviour I mentioned in the OP.

I was also silly around my grandparents. I don't know why. I always wanted to sit on my grandfather's knee even when eating a meal up the table. And I'd sort of tease my grandmother, not horribly. Like one time she put the light on when it was getting dark, and I ran around the room flailing my arms as a way of expressing relief that the room was lit brightly rather than the dullness of dusk. Another time she asked me what video I wanted to watch, and instead of just telling her, I sort of acted out the title while jumping on the armchair. I knew she wouldn't get it by doing that but I just felt that saying the title sensibly was boring.
Another time when me and my brother were having Sunday lunch at our grandparent's I spent most the time giggling at everything and getting way too distracted to sit and eat my food properly.

And another time when I was running around naked and wouldn't get dressed, so my grandmother tried forcing me into my clothes while I giggled and screwed around, until she spanked me on my leg. Then I stopped and went serious, because I wasn't expecting my grandmother to spank me. It didn't hurt, but it did show me that she was the adult in charge and that I needed to learn to behave.

This was me when I was happy. When I wasn't feeling great emotionally, I sometimes threw tantrums. I was a huge challenge. But there were also times where I was quietly playing with my toys.

I was over the top silly, angry, teary, etc. as a kid until my dad told me privately that I was embarrassing to be with in public. That started my attempt to emulate Mr Spock from Star Trek. I got so good at ignoring/suppressing my emotions as a child that to this day my first reflex when an emotion starts to surface is to suppress it. (I'm 65)

I got lectured by my family for being embarrassing in public, and at the time I didn't see what the big deal was.
Now I've kind of swung to the opposite extreme - I'm way too self-conscious in public and doing anything embarrassing would be like a social death for me.

Now I am more likely to be silly in a cerebral way. Doing things that someone would have to notice and actually think about to realize the sillyness.

I always had a sense of humor, and I remember always doing and saying things for laughs. It wasn’t too hard to make me laugh at one point. I’m sure a lot of people thought I was silly - certainly many maybe would consider my silliness to the point of being “weird.” It lasted until about my early teens. I do think about some of the silly ways I acted as a child with embarrassment.

I still do have a silly sense of humor, and the way I joke around sometimes may make some people groan.

New Threads

Top Bottom