• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else have comfort items?

My giraffe pillow pet. I don't take it (him, his name is Humphrey) everywhere, but certainly when I have to go away for a night. I never grew out of sleeping with a beloved stuffed animal, even at 26 and in a relationship. Other than that, I carry a sonic screwdriver in my purse. :D

My Kyubey and Charlotte the Dessert Witch plushies, and my stingray plushie. I always go to them for a hug or when I'm feeling kind of down or uneasy. I sometimes carry around my sonic screwdriver in my purse(when I actually carry my purse with me).

Does anyone else have comfort items they take with them everywhere to help them feel calm and comfortable, or just less anxious and lonely?

Here's photo with some of mine:

My ipad, i take it everywhere i go. at home i have a teddy bear, i dont have a phone.

Toys. I still have most of the toys from my childhood. I love playing with my Hot Wheels or Micro Machines, or staging wars with my little army men. Playing with my toys helps me calm down.

Ok, please don't laugh at me for this.
I've never talked about this with anyone before.
But when I'm extremely upset, which is a lot, I have what I call "comfort items".

For example, I'm 29 years old and I have my stuffed alien, who I named 'Ollie'.
I hold him and it helps me. If I'm in public, I use my iPhone as a comfort item, because it has my endless supply of comfort music.

Is this 'normal' for an adult? I feel like a child clutching Ollie when I'm upset. I feel stupid if anyone sees me with him.

Anyone have "comfort items" as well?

IMG_1175.JPG

probably if insecurity only happened to you alone it would be alone but insecurity in the 21 century is very common
i DONT do it outside as i DONT want to lose the source of security
IVE thought about a bracelet with pictures of my mother and pets but id be panicky if it became loose

I have something like this, but mine is a bit easier to conceal being imaginary and all. I still to this day have an imaginary friend who I have conversations with and turn to when everything's just a bit too much. But I can understand using a soft toy for comfort, I have a collection of soft sheep and perticular ones I like to cuddle (not that I would publicly put them on display).

Yeah I totally couldn't take outside of my apartment. lol

My phone, even if I'm not using it, makes me feel better when in public. I hold it to my chest.

is your insecurity /depression improved to any degree
Ok, please don't laugh at me for this.
I've never talked about this with anyone before.
But when I'm extremely upset, which is a lot, I have what I call "comfort items".

For example, I'm 29 years old and I have my stuffed alien, who I named 'Ollie'.
I hold him and it helps me. If I'm in public, I use my iPhone as a comfort item, because it has my endless supply of comfort music.

Is this 'normal' for an adult? I feel like a child clutching Ollie when I'm upset. I feel stupid if anyone sees me with him.

Anyone have "comfort items" as well?

View attachment 35987

I have several things like that. A Humpty Dumpty doll my sister made me years ago, a green corduroy frog I found at a yard sale for a dime and re-stuffed with sand, and an orange afghan an aunt crocheted me. I will take the green frog in public. He's become my road-trip buddy.

At home, I have my 'happy blanket' and several stuffed toys. For outside the house, I have a few fidget toys and my iPod.

I wish I had something like this, it sounds like a huge help! I think when stressed out, I am driven to change my entire environment - that's when I get crazy with "collections", and having these things around me as a whole makes me feel more controlled and comforted....but it's a very financially self-destructive coping mechanism that I've had to stop.

I have something like this, but mine is a bit easier to conceal being imaginary and all. I still to this day have an imaginary friend who I have conversations with and turn to when everything's just a bit too much. But I can understand using a soft toy for comfort, I have a collection of soft sheep and perticular ones I like to cuddle (not that I would publicly put them on display).
I used to have imaginary conversations, too! But they were to my future husband. Now I am married. My real husband is very supportive, but the heart-to-hearts just don't happen as they did with the imaginary soulmate. So....sometimes I still do the imaginary thing! It's the only way for another "person" to get me so thoroughly and completely, and to offer the exact emotional comfort/response that I really need.

I have a worn beach pebble that I carry in my backpack or purse. If I'm going somewhere that I know will make me nervous I wear the bracelet I made. It holds small items that belonged to my father, husband and grandmother and grandfather who I love and love me. When I touch the pieces, it reminds me of them, making me less anxious.

Last edited:
It's probably not normal, but we aren't here to be normal, thank God.
I have a teddy bear that my son asked Santa in his letter because he realized that I didn't have one (that had to be solved, obviously). I have the teddy bear on my bed, and I hug him a lot, specially when I feel desperately sad.

Define "normal"?! Contrary to popular belief, Aspies are just as "normal" as NT people, in fact more so sometimes IMHO.

New Threads

Top Bottom