• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else feel like they suck at job interviews because of AS?

Withnail88

Here's the deal: I have been unemployed for nearly 5 months. Got about 200 dollars to my name and thousands of dollars of debt staring me in the face. My money management skills suck, but so do my job interview ones. I have gotten so tired of looking, but I was banking on a local grocery store that was hiring this week and never called me.
I feel like I give ****** answers to the questions I am given at interviews and that is why I don't do well. I just don't know how to answer some of the questions. Maybe AS has something to do with that?
The frustration is compounded by the fact that everyone I know seems to've gotten one just fine. My roommates from last year, all my friends from school, even my little brother and sister. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I know the economy sucks and it's about to get worse, thanks to that bill that Barack No-Balls-ma signed (I've lost some respect for him because of this); but if everyone else has one, how hard can it be? That's why I think it might be me!
Anyone else having a REALLY hard time finding a job?

Here's the deal: I have been unemployed for nearly 5 months. Got about 200 dollars to my name and thousands of dollars of debt staring me in the face. My money management skills suck, but so do my job interview ones. I have gotten so tired of looking, but I was banking on a local grocery store that was hiring this week and never called me.
I feel like I give ****** answers to the questions I am given at interviews and that is why I don't do well. I just don't know how to answer some of the questions. Maybe AS has something to do with that?
The frustration is compounded by the fact that everyone I know seems to've gotten one just fine. My roommates from last year, all my friends from school, even my little brother and sister. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I know the economy sucks and it's about to get worse, thanks to that bill that Barack No-Balls-ma signed (I've lost some respect for him because of this); but if everyone else has one, how hard can it be? That's why I think it might be me!
Anyone else having a REALLY hard time finding a job?

You might want to see if there're some local unemployment organizations in your neighborhood who can help you out and identify what you're doing wrong. Then you can just try to follow their lead. The last job I had was in Ireland. I've always had hard time to stay employed, now I know why but it doesn't matter... The point is I went to my local unemployment organization and attended their training program. It was very helpful. Plus they got me 2 jobs. 1 was temporary and the 2nd one was supposed to be permanent but I lost it because of misunderstanding between me and my boss. I do believe it is because of Aspergers. I believe that in US there're such organizations as well. There're plenty of people who are willing to help out there , just need to look for them. and be honest about Aspergers issues as well. Find a few of them, call them, send emails. Explain how desperate you are and things like that.

I remember I was interviewed for a job in a shoe retail store. Nothing really special. Anyone could do that job. Usually during interview the interviewer gives you clues how to answer questions correctly but a person has to pay attention. The problem is that people on the spectrum sometimes can misinterpret, misunderstand or simply don't pay attention to those clues. So I remember that I was concerned that I could be fired for any reason even if I just got pregnant if the company didn't work with a Union. I didn't really know how the union system worked in Ireland but I knew if you were in the Union you couldn't be fired as easily. So I told him that...not everything...but almost :D in was stupid, but at that moment I felt that it's ok to be honest :) another thing he mentioned several times that job requires minimum communication between customers and that you don't really have to work your ass of to sell you shoes...but I didn't pay attention and said that for me it is important to communicate to customers (it wan't true but that was the requirement at my last retail job so I just said the same thing, which also didn't make any sense :D )
Well I wasn't hired... The guy says it was because the company decided not to hire new people after all, but not sure if it was true or not :)

It's tough and for some people it comes naturally but some people have to learn how to go through interview especially when you're on the spectrum. But if you are highly skilled professional, or have tones of experience they need, then some of the issues you display during interview might be overlooked. Even though in US it's tough now...almost anyone would probably need help to get a job nowadays.

Last edited:
You might want to see if there're some local unemployment organizations in your neighborhood who can help you out and identify what you're doing wrong. Then you can just try to follow their lead. The last job I had was in Ireland. I've always had hard time to stay employed, now I know why but it doesn't matter... The point is I went to my local unemployment organization and attended their training program. It was very helpful. Plus they got me 2 jobs. 1 was temporary and the 2nd one was supposed to be permanent but I lost it because of misunderstanding between me and my boss. I do believe it is because of Aspergers. I believe that in US there're such organizations as well. There're plenty of people who are willing to help out there , just need to look for them. and be honest about Aspergers issues as well. Find a few of them, call them, send emails. Explain how desperate you are and things like that.

I remember I was interviewed for a job in a shoe retail store. Nothing really special. Anyone could do that job. Usually during interview the interviewer gives you clues how to answer questions correctly but a person has to pay attention. The problem is that people on the spectrum sometimes can misinterpret, misunderstand or simply don't pay attention to those clues. So I remember that I was concerned that I could be fired for any reason even if I just got pregnant if the company didn't work with a Union. I didn't really know how the union system worked in Ireland but I knew if you were in the Union you couldn't be fired as easily. So I told him that...not everything...but almost :D in was stupid, but at that moment I felt that it's ok to be honest :) another thing he mentioned several times that job requires minimum communication between customers and that you don't really have to work your ass of to sell you shoes...but I didn't pay attention and said that for me it is important to communicate to customers (it wan't true but that was the requirement at my last retail job so I just said the same thing, which also didn't make any sense :D )
Well I wasn't hired... The guy says it was because the company decided not to hire new people after all, but not sure if it was true or not :)

It's tough and for some people it comes naturally but some people have to learn how to go through interview especially when you're on the spectrum. But if you are highly skilled professional, or have tones of experience they need, then some of the issues you display during interview might be overlooked. Even though in US it's tough now...almost anyone would probably need help to get a job nowadays.
eeeeeeven better; there's an office in town that helps people with learning disabilities and developmental disorders find work! Great!
Thanks for the advice!

I feel like I give ****** answers to the questions I am given at interviews and that is why I don't do well. I just don't know how to answer some of the questions.

I'm an Aspie Culinary Arts teacher and part of my job is teaching my high school students how to prepare for a job interview.

So here are the basics.

Do you have a resume? Do you take a resume with you when you go to your interview? When you go to your interview, are you early? Are you appropriately attired? Are you wearing clean clothing. Do you have good personal hygiene? You'd be surprised at how many students think they can go to a job interview after football practice when they're hot, sweaty, and smelly.

At the job interview, do you shake the interviewer's hand with a reasonably firm grip? Do you smile and at least make initial eye contact? I know this may be hard but to an NT, avoidance of eye contact will make you seem untrustworthy. Also, make sure you turn off your cellphone before going into the interview.

The trick to interview questions is this. Keep your answers short and positive.

Here's a trick question: "Describe your biggest weakness." This is a trick because if you are honest and tell them your biggest weakness, you're making yourself look bad i.e. my biggest weakness is that I'm always late ...

The solution? Be honest. Answer the question but turn a negative into a positive ... so in answer to describe your biggest weakness, "I used to be late everywhere I went but ever since I set my watch ten minutes ahead of time, I've always been early or on-time."

Here's another question. "Why did you leave your last employer?" You say, "My last boss was an ass and I hated him." NOTE: Avoid bashing former employers. If you bash your former employer the interviewer will wonder what you'll say about him/her if you're hired so don't be negative. Say something neutral like, "I left to pursue other opportunities because the job I had wasn't giving me the chance to grow as an employee."

After the job interview, shake the interviewer's hand and thank him/her for having given you this opportunity. Follow up with a nice email or phone call within 24 hours. Thank the interviewer again and gently ask if he/she has made an employment decision.

Interviewing for a job isn't hard. For an Aspie, it's all about scripts. Do your homework. Anticipate basic questions and prepare a response. Don't slouch in your seat, smile, and avoid tapping or fluttering.

If you've been able to make it through the application process to the interview, you've got a good shot at a job. Interviewers don't have time to interview dozens of people. They interview the people whose skill sets on an application most closely resemble the type of person they need.

Interviewers WANT to be able to hire you ... so don't give them a reason not to.

Best wishes.

Agree with DC1346 above; it is definitely about the script, and the one that matters the most is, "do you know who you are? What do you care about, and how have you succeeded at caring about it in situations I the interviewer can relate to?"

Depends. How do you prep for an interview? And how much do you care about doing the particular job well? Are you wanting to pull a paycheck or to pull your weight? Interviewers listen for that stuff.

My ASD makes me superlative at interviews, because my work creates things I can show. Attwood, Grandin, and others have written that "it's the portfolio that sells you." And it is. People who don't actually feel comfortable with me will give me "impossible" jobs because I can do them. The ASD makes me extraordinarily good at not only spotting the elephant in the room, but saying something about it. I am the one who nails the question no one wants to ask...or answer...to the table in meetings, the driver who makes everyone hear me recite the deadlines and who's accountable.

This does not make me loved, but I don't need the job to love me. I need to love the work, and no one can stop me. I have to remember not to scare people.

If employers feel that you aren't connecting will with them, even if you are doing everything right, it will kill your chances of getting pass the interview.

If employers feel that you aren't "normal", that also hurts your chances for passing the interview.
Employers really like "normal" people, who are similar to them!

If employers see that there is something visible wrong with you, then that too comes with a stigma attached that will hurt your chances of employment.

If you are too rigid in an interview, this too will kill your chances at employment.
If you aren't rigid enough in an interview, this too will kill your chances at employment.
(I've been told both by different employers, which I acted the same in each interview).

Essentially if an employer finds something they deem "wrong" with you, it will hurt your chances, if not kill the interview.

Also from my experience like many others my age, general work experience counts for practically nothing these days.
All employers want specific X amount of years of industry experience for even the entry level jobs, while demanding skills, certifications (ironically require you to be employed to obtain), and other stuff that you aren't told (many do this too).

I heard on the news the other day, that many employers expect you to research your competition for the job and be able to comment on it.

Lastly any stretch of unemployment is considered bad, even if you were in school during that stretch.
The longer it goes on, the more it makes you seem lazy and unwilling to find a job (Even if it isn't your fault), thus causing employers to disregard you (yes the bias is real).

If you have an agency that deals with disabilities, I suggest you use it (hopefully they are decent).

Edit: I don't suck at job interviewing and resume writing. It's quite obviously to everyone that I am socially awkward and struggle at "connecting" on a deeper level (which tends to count against me).

Last edited:
I have problems because sometimes they give you a sheet of questions for you to fill in just answering a,b,c or d. But most times I don't agree on just one or any of them because I am too picky and think about all the realisations of what I am being asked.

I personally think having Aspergers makes me really good at interviews

I can talk very well, especially if I'm excited about it. I'm really neat and can come up with good responses really quickly because my nerves make sure that I have an answer to any possible question prepared in my head.

Just be calm, seem excited, use posh language (don't call your boss dude, it's surprising how many people do stuff like that)

Also aspergers makes me really awkward body language style so I make sure to sit upright, not say my shoulders and all that stuff, apparently I give off an air of competence because of it because I don't look like a lazy slacker or come across really casual.

This is just personal experience so far, I have never had a job interview where I didn't get hired. It might be luck or I might have some special touch in this area or something

At my last job, after I started, they introduced 'competency based interviews' where they dig down to increasingly deeper levels of specific jobs from your work history. I think these are much harder to prepare for, and are particularly hard if you are prone to selective mutism. I only experienced it once while applying for a promotion. It can make one look particularly stupid or an outright lier once the mutism kicks in. I wish that my word that I can do a job was enough.

Last edited:
As the Field Guide says: If someone applies for a job, they are supposed to be competent, but if they are not they are expected to lie and say they are anyway.

You're at a disadvantage in a job interview because you are expected to lie. If you are honest, that odd thing happens that happens when people have expectations so strong that they won't even entertain the idea that they might be wrong to expect that thing. Don't ask me to explain that thing, I'll never figure it out.

I don't think the autism is interfering with my job hunting. Having six signs in Capricorn and a kid does. On the one hand I am incredibly stubborn and no-nonsense, which means I will often have to deal with coworkers crying and whining because I won't tolerate their laziness or willful stupidity. And then on the other hand, I'm a mom so my employment history appears patchy and as if I'm an unreliable worker because I was a reliable mother during some critical years.

Here's the deal: I have been unemployed for nearly 5 months.

I see from your profile that you are in Pine Island, Minnesota.

Indeed.com has listed a school bus driver position in Red Wing. Marriott Courtyard is looking for a part time guest service representative as well as a full time front desk agent in Rochester. Olmsted County in Rochester is looking for a case aide to perform basic office duties in their Housing and Redevelopment Authority. They're also looking for a juvenile corrections officer.

Snagajob reports jobs for servers at Applebee's in Rochester. Chuck E Cheese is looking for cast members. Fazoli's is also hiring.

Asperger's Syndrome makes me bad at what I am bad at and good at what I am good at. I have always worked at what I am good at and always worked alone. I have not had many jobs in my life and do not have much experience at job interviews. The interviews I have been to, were to apply for a technical position. The interviewers are never as technically competent as the person applying for the job, so the interviews always went well. I would have to say that AS has not hurt my performance in job interviews. It probably has helped.

The biggest problems I have with job interviews are first that the interview has little if anything to do with ability to actually do the job. That could be due to the fact that I don't apply for sales jobs and interviews are all about sales skills. The other problem is that the final hiring decision is usually made at a gut level. Most NT people sense something a little "off" about AS folks. It triggers a subliminal wariness, not enough for open hostility, (usually), but enough to knock you out of the running against similarly qualified candidates.

I wish I could offer helpful suggestions but my own solution was becoming self employed.

The biggest problems I have with job interviews are first that the interview has little if anything to do with ability to actually do the job. That could be due to the fact that I don't apply for sales jobs and interviews are all about sales skills. The other problem is that the final hiring decision is usually made at a gut level. Most NT people sense something a little "off" about AS folks. It triggers a subliminal wariness, not enough for open hostility, (usually), but enough to knock you out of the running against similarly qualified candidates.

I wish I could offer helpful suggestions but my own solution was becoming self employed.

This so much!!!
If you cannot connect to the employer during an interview on a social and/or deeper level, it essentially does you in.
As does not being able to "read" them (though most people suck at this with a new person).
Have a disability that they can easily see, will give you a negative perception (even if it is subconsciously).
People always associate negatively with physical and other disabilities.
I feel that this plus my inability to connect on a deeper level in interviews is killing my chances in every interview.

Nearly all my interviews mostly focused on questions that didn't really pertain to the jobs, more on non job related question so they could get a feel for what kind of person I am and my personality.

I have a few jobs I would have been good at if given the chance, but because using powerpoint slides and other documents aren't allowed in most interviews, I had to attempt to explain it verbally (I did decent).
If I could have shown what I can do, I'd would have probably been hired by now.

It doesn't help that literally ever career job and career internship I've interviewed for, have literally asked me "Can you do this job without training and adjustment period?"

My main answer is "It depends on the software and how you run your business. What software do you use? What is the your process?"

Them: "We use X software (normally expensive high end software, proprietary, and/or unusual software I haven't heard of it). Do you have X years of experience with this software and did you learn in college?" as for business processes "We cannot go into depth on the process in an interview due to the sensitivity of it"

Me, It goes one of four main ways:

1. I do not have the experience, we do not have it installed on campus due to the high cost of the software. I did not learn on any of my internship also due to the costs, which means only large companies and some medium ones use it.
  2. I do not have the experience on your proprietary software because it is not possible to get said experience due to the proprietary nature of it
  3. I do not have experience with your software, because I have not encountered it and it is not possible to learn all the different software in the world
  4. I have used it and can do X with it.
Them: "We are looking for someone who can do this job without the need of any training, help and/or adjustment period to our company. We need someone who can get up to speed with us on the first day!"

Them: "We are holding out for the perfect candidate, again we are looking for someone who can do the work without any help. You should find a job that will train you."

Me: "Thank you for your time...!"

Then I spout off once I get back in my car and am unnerved for the rest of the day.

---

Seriously this is getting ridiculous.
You cannot expect an entry level person to do the job without adjustment and training since each company is different!!!!

New Threads

Top Bottom