• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone else ever get bored with their "loops"?

Like a lot of spectrum folks, I tend to do things like read the same books over and over, etc. I loop audiobooks and movies/TV shows more than anything else, because I don't function well without background noise. I went through a year and a half long phase in college that the only thing I used iTunes for was my playlist of the seven Harry Potter audiobooks...I'd turn it on as soon as I got to my room, and not turn it off again til I left (luckily, I didn't have a roommate at the time!).

I have another series of audiobooks that I've been looping lately (the Amber series, by Roger Zelazny), but I woke up this morning and suddenly just couldn't listen to it again. I've been going through my media for the last couple hours trying to find a replacement, but so far everything is just grating my eardrums. I literally can't find anything that doesn't start bugging me within five minutes. I know from experience that I'll settle into something else in a day or two, but for right now, it's super annoying :p

Anyone else have days like this?

(btw, I'm new, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. Also, hi everyone!)

Yes, I tend to listen to the same songs over again, for weeks at a time. Or I listen to the same songs for a particular activity. I used to think I read widely, but later noticed that I would re-read certain books many times.

I kind of hit a wall about 10-12 years ago, where I virtually stopped listening to music or reading anything other than magazine articles, and would just listen to public radio news and talk stations.

That has been changing lately, and I find that I have returned to listening to some of those old favorites again, along with some new stuff, but tending to listen and re-listen. Haven't started reading much yet, lack the time needed.

Welcome to the site!

Last edited:
I do, I have a number of tv shows that I watch repeatedly and lately I've found myself feeling like I'd just seen every episode. I've also gotten tired of my music loop and have switched genres again.

Oh, I loved Amber until I suddenly couldn't do it any more. Now looping on business development and product management books. Which I'm starting to just stare at. Time to switch loops, but I don't know what to jump to.

I find that sometimes I loop very specific scenes from movies and other videos because I like what's being said, and sometimes, even the fashion in which it's said. Like, the tone of the speaker's voice, and stuff like that. I do so until it loses its meaning and my brain turns to tapioca pudding.

Same goes for music; although for me it's a little more purposeful. If there's a specific part in a song I like, like a riff or guitar solo or chorus, then I'll play that song and skip right ahead to that part. Sometimes though, I'll listen to the whole song through.

I'm in that phase right now. I play my iTunes list only because it helps block out other, more bothersome noises. But I'm not really hearing the music as much as I used to, and haven't found anything else to fill that gap.

Music playlists. I only play them so I can tune them out while I read. Very rarely read the same book over, even if I decided to beforehand.

(But I rewatch After Hours episodes until I know them by heart. Not intentionally, it's just that once you could recite the whole conversation for yourself it feels pointless to watch it again.)

Last edited:
I get bored with my song loops; but at the same time, struggle to find a new one that suits me.

New Threads

Top Bottom