• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anybody Else Here Play Monster Hunter?

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
My first MH game was Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on the 3ds. I have since purchased Monster Hunter Generations, been gifted Monster Hunter Stories (Basically MH, but with pokemon, great spinoff), bought a used copy of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, bought Monster Hunter World (I am still yet to buy the Iceborne expansion, though), and I emulate Monster Hunter Freedom Ultimate with PPSSPP.

Has anybody else played any games in this series, whether it be a main series games (such as World, 4U, Generations, etc.), or a spinoff (such as Frontier or Stories)? I play Monster Hunter World on PC, if you are curious.

I used to. Quite a long while ago.

My problem with it was the same problem I have with plenty of games: It's really multiplayer only. And I hate dealing with other players.

Yes, I know TECHNICALLY it can be played solo. But you cant actually do like 70% of the content that way... it's always balanced as such that if you're playing solo, you WILL hit a wall eventually.

So eventually I just gave up. Havent touched it since. If they ever made the entire bloody thing solo-compatible, that'd bring me back to it.

You can, in fact, accept the gathering hub quests when offline and do it by yourself. In fact, that is what I do all the time. Even to this day, I play Monster Hunter games nearly 100% solo, mostly because I do occasionally go onto online hunts. If you hit a wall, there are several other reasons than being incompatible with solo play, such as not having upgraded armor or weapons, or not upgrading armor and weapon/buying new equipment. Also, the fan wiki has useful information on all the monsters, quests, gear, etc.

Monster Hunter World is much more newb-friendly than all the previous games, considering it did away with loading between areas on the map, paintballing monsters to track them, having seperate armor sets for blademasters and gunners, etc. Also solo-friendly, as Monster Hunter World auto-balances quests depending on how many players have joined said quest.

Mostly, you just have to grind for more materials by killing more monsters, while looking at the wiki for tips, lol. That's what I do.

You can, in fact, accept the gathering hub quests when offline and do it by yourself. In fact, that is what I do all the time. Even to this day, I play Monster Hunter games nearly 100% solo, mostly because I do occasionally go onto online hunts. If you hit a wall, there are several other reasons than being incompatible with solo play, such as not having upgraded armor or weapons, or not upgrading armor and weapon/buying new equipment. Also, the fan wiki has useful information on all the monsters, quests, gear, etc.

Monster Hunter World is much more newb-friendly than all the previous games, considering it did away with loading between areas on the map, paintballing monsters to track them, having seperate armor sets for blademasters and gunners, etc. Also solo-friendly, as Monster Hunter World auto-balances quests depending on how many players have joined said quest.

Mostly, you just have to grind for more materials by killing more monsters, while looking at the wiki for tips, lol. That's what I do.

Huh.... so, they added auto-balancing, huh?

The older games never did that (they should have). The way it worked was, no matter how good you were, or how much you grinded, you *would* hit a wall where the bosses in the available quests simply had so much HP that, even with the best currently available equipment, it was a literally impossible fight, because the DPS simply did not hit the requirement to take it down within that time limit, and there was no way to raise that DPS further without bringing in friends. That's typically how late-game content was gated off.

Originally, this was okay, sort of. I used to play this (the old PSP versions) with a group of friends. It was fun. I used a horn most of the time as for some reason I was the only one that knew all of the songs. Though I tended to use horns solo too (though songs are harder to play when a giant monkey is running at you and trying to hit you with a tree. Hilarity was frequently the result).

Eventually that group sort of broke up though... college and work and all, you know... so, soloing became the only way forward (I never play with randoms in online games or offline games. I've experienced too much stupid over the years). Eventually had to just give up.

I think MH3 was where I just dropped the whole series... I think that's the one where they outright dumbed it down real far. I seem to recall it only having like 6 weapon types and not many monsters.

Hm. Well, if the thing actually adjusts to solo, that might make it worth checking out. Though, "noob friendly" is usually a bit of a red flag for me. But I suppose I wont know until I look into it.

Whole lot of memories of this series. I tell ya though, there's no freaking way I could play it on the PSP these days. Used to have to do the "claw grip" with that thing. What a badly designed gizmo that was. It always bugged me, back then, that it was never on console or PC.

I'm a fan of the Phantasy Star series - and a lot of people I met on those games over the years said that MH was another game with some similarities.

The problem I have is that I'm not a fan of big boss fights, and from what I can tell the MH series prides itself on big boss fights. So I can't say I've ever tried it. One day I might give the latest game a go, especially once I get an Ampere card and wish to test newer games.

Ed

Huh.... so, they added auto-balancing, huh?

The older games never did that (they should have). The way it worked was, no matter how good you were, or how much you grinded, you *would* hit a wall where the bosses in the available quests simply had so much HP that, even with the best currently available equipment, it was a literally impossible fight, because the DPS simply did not hit the requirement to take it down within that time limit, and there was no way to raise that DPS further without bringing in friends. That's typically how late-game content was gated off.

Originally, this was okay, sort of. I used to play this (the old PSP versions) with a group of friends. It was fun. I used a horn most of the time as for some reason I was the only one that knew all of the songs. Though I tended to use horns solo too (though songs are harder to play when a giant monkey is running at you and trying to hit you with a tree. Hilarity was frequently the result).

Eventually that group sort of broke up though... college and work and all, you know... so, soloing became the only way forward (I never play with randoms in online games or offline games. I've experienced too much stupid over the years). Eventually had to just give up.

I think MH3 was where I just dropped the whole series... I think that's the one where they outright dumbed it down real far. I seem to recall it only having like 6 weapon types and not many monsters.

Hm. Well, if the thing actually adjusts to solo, that might make it worth checking out. Though, "noob friendly" is usually a bit of a red flag for me. But I suppose I wont know until I look into it.

Whole lot of memories of this series. I tell ya though, there's no freaking way I could play it on the PSP these days. Used to have to do the "claw grip" with that thing. What a badly designed gizmo that was. It always bugged me, back then, that it was never on console or PC.
By the time Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate came around, people solved that issue the issue of too little DPS by using insect glaive mount spam, making sure that all kinsect buffs are active (which is still an effective method, even though IG has been nerfed a bit in Generations and World).

It is also never a good idea to use hunting horn solo, as its main purpose is a group support weapon. For pre-4th gen MH games, it is more recommended to use dual blades, long sword, or great sword solo (or, if you want to use a blunt weapon solo, hammer is a good choice). Or heavy bowgun if you want to grind for an entirely new armor set (thankfully you can use the same armor set in you usually wear if you want to switch from melee to ranged in MHW).

In 4th-gen games, hammer, insect glaive, long sword, dual blades, and sword & shield are all good DPS weapons for newer players. Heck, the game automatically equips you with an SnS when you first start the game.

In 5th gen (Monster Hunter World and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne), that list is the same, but with great sword, bow, and light bowgun added.

One of the other problems is that you played the PSP Monster Hunter games. The code in this is known to be just a bit broken. *remembers plesioth's broken hitbox in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite*

I'm a fan of the Phantasy Star series - and a lot of people I met on those games over the years said that MH was another game with some similarities.

The problem I have is that I'm not a fan of big boss fights, and from what I can tell the MH series prides itself on big boss fights. So I can't say I've ever tried it. One day I might give the latest game a go, especially once I get an Ampere card and wish to test newer games.

Ed
The boss fights in Monster Hunter World feel more like hunting the large monster, instead of an actual boss fight to me. Considering, you know, it is called Monster Hunter, not Monster Boss Fights For 0 Reason.

Ed

Well, the thing about boss fights is that they're very hard to make. And alot of games unfortunately just.... really dont do them right. When I think about it, I honestly cant think of many games that get it right, outside of maybe the Souls series. I could probably go into a very long rant about what makes a boss fight work and what doesnt. Heck, with my game-dev experience that I often talk about, much of what I did in making that game was in fact boss fights, because that's what I'm skilled at designing.

MH, when really boiled down, does in fact become a series of boss fights. But a huge part of the game's popularity is that they're SO DARNED GOOD.

There's a few reasons for it:

1. Monster ability sets and attacks are just very well thought out. They never really do anything that seems out of place, nor do they do anything that makes you go "ugh, I forgot, this guy can only be beaten with THIS weapon".

2. They all have alot of personality. The monsters are all memorable.

3. THEY'RE NOT STUPID SCRIPTED THINGS. This is what bugs me about how alot of modern games handle boss fights. They dont really treat them like what I"d even call a "boss". In so many games, it's more like a fight VS what I'd call a "set piece". The game is often trying to WOW you rather than challenge you or make you think. So you'll get things like interrupting cutscenes or scripted events with other characters that come in and do stupid things. RPGs in particular get this all terribly backwards. MH doesnt do any of that.

4. Going along with that, the game works WITH all of it's unique complex mechanics instead of AGAINST them. In alot of action games, you might be running around and kicking and shooting, but when you get to a boss, suddenly the thing goes "Okay, here's this guy, but YOU CANT FIGHT HIM NORMALLY... you can only hit him in the Big Obvious Glowy Spot, and it'll only work if you're doing the Turbo Macerena and screaming about cheese at the same time". I dont know what trend caused this but too many games seem to think of boss fights as "time to change the rules!". In MH, you are ALWAYS dealing with your same base mechanics. You still have to watch your weapon durability, your current item selection, dealing with finding the right moments to heal without getting stomped flat, there are a ton of complexities to how MH does things and it doesnt try to take that away from you in favor of "OMG HIT THE SHINY SPOT".

There's a bit more to it, but that's the basics. This is also a big part of why I think the Dark Souls series has such good boss fights, because they also follow all of these rules.

Though also, the game reallly does do more than JUST that stuff, even in missions where you're going up against a boss (which admittedly is most of them). There's other things you have to do as part of your hunting and they're just as important. I always really appreciated this aspect of the game.

By the time Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate came around, people solved that issue the issue of too little DPS by using insect glaive mount spam, making sure that all kinsect buffs are active (which is still an effective method, even though IG has been nerfed a bit in Generations and World).

It is also never a good idea to use hunting horn solo, as its main purpose is a group support weapon. For pre-4th gen MH games, it is more recommended to use dual blades, long sword, or great sword solo (or, if you want to use a blunt weapon solo, hammer is a good choice). Or heavy bowgun if you want to grind for an entirely new armor set (thankfully you can use the same armor set in you usually wear if you want to switch from melee to ranged in MHW).

In 4th-gen games, hammer, insect glaive, long sword, dual blades, and sword & shield are all good DPS weapons for newer players. Heck, the game automatically equips you with an SnS when you first start the game.

In 5th gen (Monster Hunter World and Monster Hunter World: Iceborne), that list is the same, but with great sword, bow, and light bowgun added.

One of the other problems is that you played the PSP Monster Hunter games. The code in this is known to be just a bit broken. *remembers plesioth's broken hitbox in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite*

Geh, that's always what they told me about the horn back then too, but dagnabit I took that bloody thing and hit the "solo ends here" wall anyway. I've always been super stubborn about doing my own thing in games, and to heck with the meta. Provided I even know what the meta is, which I usually dont.

Other than horns I also usually tended to use hammers and whatever the really huge swords were called. I tend to get along well with heavy weapons in action games.

Anyway, as the game goes, I was looking into it and thinking I actually might give it a go today. Sure aint anything stopping me from buying it, and the PC is *definitely* up to the task. And just reading around online last night about it, seems I'd be far from the only one that plays this one just solo. Wheras with the old games, nobody really did that (since again, you really couldnt).

Also I was checking out how they handled MTX, and to their credit it looks like they did it in a non-intrusive way. None of that "pay 5 real dollars for 50 potions" crap. Granted, there IS still $400 worth of bloody MTX, but none of it has gameplay function as far as I can tell, so that's... okay, I guess. Still, why cant these idiots just make proper expansion packs like how it used to be? Freaking Everquest getting a new bloody continent in a box never made anyone super angry, but these modern companies dont want to do that, and then cant seem to figure out why everyone hates them. And yeah, I know, Iceborne is an expansion, but imagine how much more it could have if ALL of the effort went towards that sort of thing instead of "OMG DRESS UP YOUR CAT FOR 10 BUCKS"

One way or another it'll sure beat playing it on the PSP. I really dont know how I put up with that thing back then.

Anyway, as the game goes, I was looking into it and thinking I actually might give it a go today. Sure aint anything stopping me from buying it, and the PC is *definitely* up to the task. And just reading around online last night about it, seems I'd be far from the only one that plays this one just solo. Wheras with the old games, nobody really did that (since again, you really couldn't).
Make sure to buy the Monster Hunter World Master Edition bundle. It comes with Iceborne. Make sure to download the high res texture pack DLC. Don't worry, High Res texture pack is free.

Nope. I mostly just play old school Sim City (1989), old school Wolfenstein 3D, Super Mario Bros , Dr. Mario, Super Mario Bros, Mario 3, and Sonic the Hedgehog (original). I also have been known to play old school Oregon Trail.

They say that autistic people hate change, and I haven't changed the games I like in 30 years. LOL

New Threads

Top Bottom