• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Were you a fan of Anthony Bourdain?

• Total voters
he seemed from his interviews to not talk enough about what hurt I can understand that but that's the problem if you don't talk about it it keeps on hurting.
and I have experience I did what he did not in the exact way .

frog-eating-a-fly-picture-id175422366
Hey, that's one of my pets. :rolleyes:
Frogs.jpg

he seemed from his interviews to not talk enough about what hurt I can understand that but that's the problem if you don't talk about it it keeps on hurting.
and I have experience I did what he did not in the exact way .
Yes, even though still alive, isn't it a type of suicide to completely cut ourselves off from everyone and live in isolation with only our dark shadows?
Good quote from a song: ...Oh, yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone.

Yes, even though still alive, isn't it a type of suicide to completely cut ourselves off from everyone and live in isolation with only our dark shadows?
Good quote from a song: ...Oh, yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone.
I think the problem is he is so high on adrenaline it wouldn't of realised what he's doing it's like a drug overdose

One of my ant commited suicide and another relative in my family not related by blood, and 2 in my mother family attempted but didnt suicide.

Is that a lot or a common thing in any family?

I know for sure that I have been idealising suicide since im 14 and many times iv "planned" how I would do it, never attempted one and I think that for long I will have more resolve to not do it.

Truly I think that our society is more and more toxic for life in general and suicide increases for the same reason.
Plus, I have done some sociology (well only one semester of initiation) , the main topic was suicide and Durkheim 's work. According to him man are more likely to commit suicide because when something bad happens in the family for instance a breakup or a death, the relatives are always closer to the mother than they are to the father and man in general are more easely isolated.

And that is still a thing , one of the new case of growing suicide in the USA is related to middle aged man loosing their job right? I guess they loose more than that and can't stand the sudden isolation.

But their is so many other things...

To stick to the subject of the topic, I didnt know Anthony Bourdain , apparently he died in France :(

Celebrity suicide copycat syndrome is quite real:
How Celebrity Deaths And The Coverage Of Them Can Contribute To More Suicides

Also suicide can run in families, as shown in the famous Hemingway family where 7 members committed suicide over many decades and several generations. Members included a writer who won the Nobel peace prize a year before killing himself, and his granddaughter who was a world reknown super model.
Hemingway family mental illness explored in new film - CNN

I don’t think that can be said for all suicides. For example, as one ages, there are those who are unwilling to go into nursing homes, or live in extreme pain. They plan their suicide from a matter of fact very intelligent sort of pragmatic way. They do not do it in any emotional depressed sort of way. I do wish that this was legal to do. Assisted suicide should be legal IMO. Who wants to rot away in a nursing home- especially a state-run one, where one loses all freedoms and privacy? Not me.

I do not think that people should be forced to stay alive if they don’t want to- for any reason. Just because some people make a happy comeback from a paralyzing accident, or extreme disfiguring event, or whatever....not ALL people do. We force people to stay alive for what? Those that want to commit suicide are forced into secrecy and darkness because we guilt and moralize them as a society into doing so.

If we could all discuss suicide in a rational manner, and not allow it to be a secretive taboo, then society would be better off. There would be no need for such horribly sad surprises as finding someone hung in a hotel room, or finding someone in the bathtub with slashed wrists.

I don’t think that can be said for all suicides. For example, as one ages, there are those who are unwilling to go into nursing homes, or live in extreme pain. They plan their suicide from a matter of fact very intelligent sort of pragmatic way. They do not do it in any emotional depressed sort of way. I do wish that this was legal to do. Assisted suicide should be legal IMO. Who wants to rot away in a nursing home- especially a state-run one, where one loses all freedoms and privacy? Not me.

I do not think that people should be forced to stay alive if they don’t want to- for any reason. Just because some people make a happy comeback from a paralyzing accident, or extreme disfiguring event, or whatever....not ALL people do. We force people to stay alive for what? Those that want to commit suicide are forced into secrecy and darkness because we guilt and moralize them as a society into doing so.

If we could all discuss suicide in a rational manner, and not allow it to be a secretive taboo, then society would be better off. There would be no need for such horribly sad surprises as finding someone hung in a hotel room, or finding someone in the bathtub with slashed wrists.

I agree that it should be everyone's right to chose.
Some may wish to exist until the end even if it is in a state run institution that is inefficient and very poor conditions. They have their own reasons they are entitled to.
But, many do not want this and it should be legal to have assisted suicide for those who choose in a mindful manner.
What happened to the Hemlock Society? Was it shut down also?
I read one of their books in a doctor's waiting room once long ago when they were arresting Jack Kavorkian. Wondered what was the diff?

"Anthony Bourdain spoke up for me at a time when people all over the country were making great fun of the column I write," Hagerty told BuzzFeed News. "To have a man of his stature rise up and befriend me, it meant a lot to me."

Bourdain had also laughed when he first read the review, but dropped the snark when he realized how her columns represented her community, she said.

"He told me he felt the same way when he first read it, but that he changed his way of thinking," she said. "He decided I was writing about food in America and the way people eat in the middle of the country."

More in linked article.
The Critic Whose Olive Garden Review Went Viral Remembers How Anthony Bourdain Spoke Up For Her

I agree that it should be everyone's right to chose.
Some may wish to exist until the end even if it is in a state run institution that is inefficient and very poor conditions. They have their own reasons they are entitled to.
But, many do not want this and it should be legal to have assisted suicide for those who choose in a mindful manner.
What happened to the Hemlock Society? Was it shut down also?
I read one of their books in a doctor's waiting room once long ago when they were arresting Jack Kavorkian. Wondered what was the diff?

There are places in thus world where it’s completely illegal to commit suicide. Botch it, and you wind up in prison for the rest of your life! Horrible!

Does anyone remember that highly acclaimed movie
Harold & Maude from the 1970s? She had planned at a certain old age, to opt out- no matter what. Even though a young man had fallen madly in love with her.

Suicides are up 25% in the USA over the last 20 years. But I think increased suicide is not limited to the USA. I thought I read of similar increases elsewhere. I know several years back in one year more military folks took their own lives then were killed in action in Iraq/Afghanistan. Its not uncommon. I have run into it many times with friends, family and co-workers all along.

I can only speculate on what is going on to increase it. I think it occurs when a person has reached a tipping point emotionally due to stress/pain. But there seems to be an increased acceptability to it these days. More an accepted way to 'Opt Out'. Nothing has changed however in the potential devastation it leaves behind.
In reality you can kill yourself quicker or slower loneliness is a terrible pain or grief from a death..

New Threads

Top Bottom