• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

An Aspie moment?

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I'm kind of new to thinking of myself as an Aspie...

Was at a friend's place tonight, she was talking about creative ideas and such from different people as she builds up a small business that helps out restaurants with business strategies (local independent ones). The main conversation was three of us, at one point I guess I went on a streak, began talking about and mentioning some things about some local restaurants I enjoy, a music festival, and a local restauranteur I know fairly well.

Then out of the blue, she tells me that she wants to "interview" me next weekend for her team, something about ideas I had talked about, something like that. Both of them apparently thought what I said was really good. To me I was spouting useless facts that I have remembered because I have a typical Aspie bullet proof long term memory that rarely forgets useless facts from years ago.

I'm still clueless about what happened tonight (err... last night, it's 1 AM now) o_O

I wish that happened to me, but I must give off an air of stupidity, because mainly I get the opposite to what you experienced. My husband says it is the way I say it, which is apparently very dogmatic and a sense of pushing my information on to people. I cannot deny, that what interests me is things that can benefit people.

Just recently, went to see a friend we have known for years and was distressed to find that this lady, who to me is a very bohemmian kind of person, was a shadow of herself and that is because she has some sort of cancer and had gone through an operation to remove some liver ( I think) and was in constant pain and exhausted!

I started talking about natural medicines, but I might as well be talking to myself, for all her husband and mine, took note of! But suddenly, she said that actually one of her daughters had mentioned the same thing I had and she may look into it and the two men started listening! She was groaning about a backache and so I did a bit of massaging ( I am good at it, but hate it, because it means touching and I find that horrible) and she said that it actually helped her and she went back to her husband and she said: Suzanne has just massaged my back and it feels better; you are going to have to do the same. He was not at all serious and in truth, I could have hit him or something.

How wonderful for you, that your apparent rambling, caused a stir of interest :)

I have a typical Aspie bullet proof long term memory that rarely forgets useless facts from years ago.
I have that, too. When my son recently had a bug-bite, where we saw what the bug looked like, the doctor brought up the possibility of a tick carrying Lyme's disease. I told him that it didn't have a cephalothorax, so it was, most likely, not an arachnid. The doctor was taken back by my use of technical terms.

This also happens at doctor's visits where I use anatomical terms gleaned from figure drawing.

I just happen to have a photographic memory, I can still remember things from several years ago, an encounter, something I saw, people I've talked to, etc... They seemed to think I was a creative genius, I don't see myself that way... o_O

That's great! Sometimes our memory proves useful. I ended up being a lawyer who specialized in insurance law, and can go on and on and on about assessment spirals and such. My husband taps me in a certain way when I'm boring the crap out of people.

Sherlock, how are you feeling about your friend wanting you to participate in her business? You didn't say. I think it's great! Personally I find it gratifying when I can use all the info stored in my brain for a good purpose, sometimes it feels like a validation of being the way I am.

About 5-6 years ago I happened to have a session with the healer I used to go to on my birthday. She always started by doing a brief tarot reading and the Hierophant card came up. Afterwards I looked up the meaning (both the dictionary definition and tarot significances) and it REALLY struck a chord with me because I am one (this was after I had self identified as a Highly Sensitive Person but before I realized I'm Aspien).

Anecdote 1: I went back to art college in my late 30s and in a sculpture class was a young woman who really (obviously) disliked me even though I always try to be nice to everyone. When the class was put into a groups of 4 to work on a project we (of course) ended up in the same group. In talking to her it came out that I was 40 years old, which absolutely shocked her because she thought I was in my 20s and said she thought I was an obnoxious know-it-all because I knew so much about artists and art history. I had been in art school right out of high school but I also read all the time, mostly nonfiction. We became friends after that (at least in class).

Anecdote 2: my cousin and her husband were visiting us when we lived in San Francisco. We were driving them around the city, giving them a tour. I kept pointing out streets and buildings and telling historical facts and stories. Afterwards my cousin said she was astounded that I knew so much about my city after living there for only 5 years. But every place I've lived I've made it a point to learn as much about its history as I can.

I'm wondering how many people here have been able to find employment where they can use their ginormous stores of info?

Sherlock, how are you feeling about your friend wanting you to participate in her business? You didn't say. I think it's great! Personally I find it gratifying when I can use all the info stored in my brain for a good purpose, sometimes it feels like a validation of being the way I am.

About 5-6 years ago I happened to have a session with the healer I used to go to on my birthday. She always started by doing a brief tarot reading and the Hierophant card came up. Afterwards I looked up the meaning (both the dictionary definition and tarot significances) and it REALLY struck a chord with me because I am one (this was after I had self identified as a Highly Sensitive Person but before I realized I'm Aspien).

Anecdote 1: I went back to art college in my late 30s and in a sculpture class was a young woman who really (obviously) disliked me even though I always try to be nice to everyone. When the class was put into a groups of 4 to work on a project we (of course) ended up in the same group. In talking to her it came out that I was 40 years old, which absolutely shocked her because she thought I was in my 20s and said she thought I was an obnoxious know-it-all because I knew so much about artists and art history. I had been in art school right out of high school but I also read all the time, mostly nonfiction. We became friends after that (at least in class).

Anecdote 2: my cousin and her husband were visiting us when we lived in San Francisco. We were driving them around the city, giving them a tour. I kept pointing out streets and buildings and telling historical facts and stories. Afterwards my cousin said she was astounded that I knew so much about my city after living there for only 5 years. But every place I've lived I've made it a point to learn as much about its history as I can.

I'm wondering how many people here have been able to find employment where they can use their ginormous stores of info?

As I told a friend, I'll probably humour her, I'm still entirely certain about it either or what they saw that night, I do feel like I shouldn't say no to it

Well the name Sherlock defiantly fits you... Go for it.
I can remember stuff excellently BUY (huge but), I cant find it in my head when I need it... Makes me look pretty stupid most the time... then in the middle of the night I bolt awake with all the information I needed 12 hours ago... geez

I have certainly made use of such, but there is no certificate that one can present.

When I was working as a quality control electronic tech at Motorola, there was a certain kind of fault that I could troubleshoot without opening the cellular phone using just my knowledge of ASCII (from programming). In ET parlance, it is called "milking the panel."

My prior, big-picture knowledge of the cellular system helped me to solve some elusive problems, too.

I may have "shot myself in the foot," though. Shortly after I showed my superiors that our test labs were in contention with the local cellular service provider, they moved the plant to a more cellular-remote location (beyond my ability to commute).
nerd_orig.gif

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom