• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
An Aspie Life is a video game about a boy on the spectrum whose roommate left the apartment unexpectedly. It was made by an autistic teen named Brad Hennessy. It's a good game from what I could tell from the 20 minutes of me playing it (I want to save any future playtime on here for my YouTube channel).

It perfectly demonstrates how stressful too much sensory input can be to autistic people with loud, glitched-sounding audio and vibrant, flashing graphical effects.

Speaking of the graphics, those also look quite good. It has a pixel-art style (which I think is kinda a cliche' in indie titles, but it works), and everything is well drawn. Though some animations look weird. For example, when the main character is walking around, he opens and closes his mouth for no reason, even if you have not been in a stressful environment. It looks kinda awkward.

Speaking of stressful environments (yes, IK, that was an awkward segway), you need to make sure your health and stress bars are at a good level. Yes, you can die in this game, however, I have not yet died, as I have not yet encountered anything that would kill me yet. Though you can take damage and eventually die.

ALSO: Everything in this game has consequences in the game's story.

However, this game does have flaws. Namely the controls scheme. It attempts to mimic a control scheme of that of old-school MS-DOS games, but it does not do that job really well. It feels very awkward and confusing to learn. For example, you do not go through dialogue by pressing the SPACE bar or the ENTER key, you go through it by pressing X for some reason.

Also, it is also in windowed mode by default rather than fullscreen or borderless fullscreen, and there is no way to change this, so you end up getting a weird aspect ratio. Doesn't negatively impact visuals, I just want those extra frames provided by fullscreen mode.

Awkward controls and aspect ratio aside, it's a pretty neat game. Here are some download links if you want to try it for yourself:

An Aspie Life on Steam
An Aspie Life on GameJolt

Recommended system specs (which are actually quite low-end):
  • Processor: Intel i5
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Intel integrated graphics
  • Direct X: Version 10
  • Storage: 1 GB available space
  • Sound Card: Integrated

An Aspie Life is a video game about a boy on the spectrum whose roommate left the apartment unexpectedly. It was made by an autistic teen named Brad Hennessy. It's a good game from what I could tell from the 20 minutes of me playing it (I want to save any future playtime on here for my YouTube channel).
What's your Youtube channel if you're comfortable with mentioning?

I DONT KNOW WHO MADE THIS GAME
I DONT KNOW WHERE THEY LIVE
BUT I AM GOING TO THE NEAREST TROPHY STORE AND MAKING THE BIGGEST THING THEY HAVE
AT LONG LAST I CAN USE MY MOST BELOVED HOBBY TO MAKE MYSELF UNDERSTOOD!!!!

MY FAITH IN HUMANITY HAS BEEN RESTORED

I CAN DIE HAPPY KNOWING THAT OTHER PEOPLE CAN SEE WHAT ASPERGERS IS LIKE!!!!

Well, this looks like a cool forum!

Hey there, I'm the game's dev!
Nice review and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm currently working on a Prequal called An Aspie Life Beginnings, using what I learnt from making this game.

I mainly wanted to improve the controls, UI and gameplay systems... SOOOO
It's going to a JRPG and a lot bigger than the original and with fewer bugs (I hope).
and the 'autism mechanics' are returning now with a levelling system.

This new game is set 9 years before the OG game. So when they were kids.
I'm all ears if you guys want to talk about it and the OG game.
;)

ExhzPFt.jpg

Last edited:
Well, this looks like a cool forum!

Hey there, I'm the game's dev!
Nice review and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'm currently working on a Prequal called An Aspie Life Beginnings, using what I learnt from making this game.

I mainly wanted to improve the controls, UI and gameplay systems... SOOOO
It's going to a JRPG and a lot bigger than the original and with fewer bugs (I hope).
and the 'autism mechanics' are returning now with a levelling system.

This new game is set 9 years before the OG game. So when they were kids.
I'm all ears if you guys want to talk about it and the OG game.
;)

ExhzPFt.jpg

Thank you! I didn't know you actually had an account here!

New Threads

Top Bottom