• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

advice needed

Frito64

Hi all,

I have a situation that is complicated by Asperger?s, especially the social awkwardness part.

Briefly, my comfort level has always been around women in social situations, I find them easy to talk to, and since I never like sports and other male activities, I always had a harder time talking to men.

I work for a large company, and last year, a man in another department, whom I?ve known for over 20 suffered a tragic loss, and I felt very badly for him. Even though we?ve never really talked beyond the ?hey, how are you doing stage,? I felt such compassion for him that I tried my best to be a supportive friend, even putting my social anxieties aside, checking in with him a few times a week so see how he was doing. It has been difficult for me at times, trying to say the right things, and also to make conversation about other things as well (I am bad at conversation). I even started watching baseball to have something to talk to him about (he is a huge sports fan), and to my surprise, I became a fan!

A couple of months ago he had invited me to a get together at his house on the one year anniversary of his loss, and even introduced me to his sisters as a good friend from work. It felt like maybe our friendship was moving to the next level. That has always been a difficulty for me ? making friends, and getting beyond the ?hey, how are you doing? stage.

A couple of weeks ago I got up the courage to suggest that we try to get out to lunch one day (he is often on conference calls, so we only talk for a few minutes a couple of times a week). He said he would check his schedule and get back to me. He never did, and in a way it was a relief (we really don?t have too much in common), but at the same time, I wonder if he just forgot, or if he just doesn?t want to be bothered.

I had stopped by his office this past Friday and we talked for a couple of minutes. I didn?t stay too long as I honestly didn?t have too much to say. He was friendly and polite, which is really all I can ask, so that was fine. I?m torn about asking him again in a week or so about going to lunch, or just let it go. As stated, we don?t have a lot in common, but at the same time, he is a nice guy and I would like to be his friend. I?ve never had a male friend to go out to lunch with now and then, and I?m sure that underlying need is part of what makes me want to try asking him again about lunch.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.

Frito

New Threads

Top Bottom