• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Adhd

I was told that I had ADD at about age 12 or so. No idea if I actually do have it or not (I have a feeling that in many cases, kids are diagnosed that way as an excuse to medicate them), but I suppose it's possible that I have a touch of it (I think it is a fairly common AS comorbid condition). I have a feeling that what looked like attention deficit problems at that age actually had more to do with the problems with "executive function" that typically come with AS.

Last edited:
Undiagnosed but I likely have some form of inattentive ADD. Not trying to apply labels to myself for the purpose of seeking attention, but I can see some of those traits in myself.

Some people simply complain about the whole 'labels' thing. But I can't see THAT as the problem, inevitably. We certainly want products 'labelled' in shops, for instance. The people that have a problem with our 'label' don't understand either the purpose of it or somehow don't understand what it means. It's kind of like the people who'd take a sign warning about, say, sharks, as only being there to stop them having 'fun' or something.

Mee. Aspies with executive function issues need to learn from the AD/HD communitites and vice versa. I feel like saying I have learned more effective self-management skills from the autism community than from ADHD writers (one reason is that I keep seeing a stereotype that they are all extraverts and need a lot of stimulation, and the advice for those people doesn't quite apply to me)--for example, Alex Plank and his college accommodations (extended due dates & test times, quiet testing rooms) inspired me to finally ask for similar things from my university disability office (earlier on, it didn't seem like anyone would approve). I identify a lot more with Penelope Trunk's list of good and bad employment areas for Aspies than a certain list I found for ADHDers.

I've been diagnosed with ADHD--Primarily Inattentive Type twice, first at the age of 11 because my academic performance didn't match up to my IQ scores, then at the age of 19 because my high school had ignored my IEP, I had forgotten about the diagnosis, and I did very badly my first semester of college. The only reason I can see I would want an official Asperger's diagnosis (a lot of the same negative symptoms exist between Asperger's and ADHD) is so I could warn my teachers/coworkers/bosses that I communicate differently than other people, which I can say without any diagnosis. With the ADHD documented, I expect to get all the accomodations I need in college--but I will explore that more.

When I told my best friend about my diagnosis at the age of 19, she asked me how I felt about being given a label, like it was a bad thing. I didn't see it as a bad thing at all. I saw it as an incomplete description of a human being, but a true one. "This is how society works and I'm taking advantage of it."

Just recently, I've happened to take an Aspie Quiz test and one of the things that strike my mind is the fact that it thinks I have a chance that I could be ADHD, I've never really had any diagnosis for it apart from having autism.

Unfortunately, I get easily distracted and it happens in the middle of a conversation, lets say my dog walks into a room, I would feel so tempted to play with the dog and completely lose focus on the conversation topic, more so on the phone than in person. Some of my friends have had issues with this especially those that are closest to me and often make comments about it, which I often don't seem to like very much.

I tend to forget my appointments unfortunately or feel like I can't be bothered to/or feel distracted by something that is around me that I gradually begin to lose focus, yet I tend to actually force myself not to delay time, which I have a hard time doing anyways. Having a calendar on my phone is definitely a huge advantage and very helpful in many ways.

School work was the hardest thing, especially completing my homework. I would get distracted when I was in school (mainly much more while I was in college), would actually leave most of it till the very last minute unfortunately and I don't know if its actually ADHD related. When I often do projects, I mainly have a very hard time actually completing them and only a couple of times I be able to complete a project I'm supposedly meant to finish.

Sleep is one I have issues with, I get distracted with something which eventually causes me to sleep real late.

I've tried on several occasions to change my ways and as far as I know, it's pretty hard to.

I don't know what I'm describing is ADHD related in any way, but as far as I know, I could for some reason easily relate to those with ADHD.

I have ADHD as well. A little bit more problems with impulses and hyperactivity then attention (even though I also have problem with that).
Worst thing was my fluctuating mood, but that is almost completely gone since I started with ADHD meds and my problems with impulses and hyperactivity have become better too.
And ofc with that, better attention.

Yes, but I have been questioning wether or not I actually have it. I have met others with ADHD, and we don't have much in common. I don't think I have many problems that involve ADHD.

My son supposidley has ADD. His diagnoseis is ADD but it seems more seveare and extreame and seems to have more issues than other ADD people.

I have it. I received the diagnosis as a toddler, and I still display certain traits (short attention span, impulsivity, etc.) into my early 20s.

I've been reading lately that ADD or ADHD is pretty common with aspergers. I'm pretty sure I have one of the two as I can find it next to impossible to focus. I have always gotten by because of my high IQ. When I try to study for instance ... even if I lock myself in a room with nothing I find something distracting. Mind you last time I tried to study my dear husband also decided to get drunk and come into the room every five mins needing attention.

there is an episode of malcolm in the middle where francis is trying to study that demonstrates exactly what I'm like when I try to study. But I can't find it on youtube. I also find I'm very easily distracted so I will start a lot of things and never finish them.

I have gotten around this by making myself finish something first before starting a new project. It works relatively well.

New Threads

Top Bottom