• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

ADHD or Asperger's?

JCat

My counselor today said she thought my symptoms were more ADHD then Asperger's ... but I eliminated that a few years ago thinking it just wasn't a "good fit" for a bunch of reasons. (I really believe that Asperger's is what I've been trying to put my finger on for quite a few years ... wrongly diagnosed bipolar I believe)

With ADHD it is my understanding that high academic achievement is if not impossible, highly unlikely, especially in subjects that one does not like. I have high achievement across the board (graduated with honours from University and received about half the bursaries available at the high school when I graduated there). That being said, there is an enormous range in my performance ... in high school my average was high 80's, but my worse marks were high 70's and my best were high 90's. In University I actually got 39 on a course one semester (the only course I ever failed ...) ... that same semester I had 99 on Algebra.

Anyways ... rambling ... I should get to the point!

I thought that if it's ADD, I wouldn't be able to bring my focus together a day or two before an exam for a course I seriously dislike to manage (somehow), to cram sufficiently to get 70's anyways ... if it was ADD wouldn't this be next to impossible? At least to have pulled off continuously for 10 years with only one failure (the 39) ... also worth noting I had 5 exams in the first 4 days of exams that year which definitely contributed! With Asperger's on the other hand, although I have severe executive functioning impairment, and a real hard time with stop/start impulses, poor EQ, etc., once I get started (even on the subject I hate), I can force myself through if absolutely required.

I can't add much more to what has already been said, but I was diagnosed with autism/ASD/aspergers, but also have very ADHD-like symptoms at times. Although I've mostly found ways to cope or use them to my advantage. In my case, the autism and ADHD symptoms can sometimes work together really well (high focus + high energy is incredibly useful at times). I've done pretty well academically when I've made any effort, so I wouldn't write off ADHD if you don't fit that criteria. It could just be that you find it easier to deal with the symptoms than a non-aspie ADHD person. I think with all these things, the labels are less important than understanding the collection of symptoms you have and learning how to manage them.

New Threads

Top Bottom