• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Actor/Actress Obsession?

AspieAngel

Does anybody have a bit of an obsession with any actors/actresses?

I myself love Karl Urban's acting and have recently developed a bit of a fangirl crush on a certain Lee Pace. The guy makes a most excellent elf, if I do say so myself.

Yes, but they tend to be very brief. Like short infatuations. I read up on them and see what other films and such they have done. There have been many, but to follow your pattern... one was Cate Blanchet. :D

Last edited:
I have such a thing for Russell Crowe. It's bloody embarrassing. I've never gone for celebrity crushes. Perhaps it's the roles he plays?

I can't believe I'm about to hit "Post Reply". :rolleyes:

Actors or actresses don't interest me, met a few but wasn't overly impressed. The one person I had a special interest in was Arnold Schwarzenegger way back in his early days. Back then I had started weightlifting and he was on the scene, the guys determination and endurance got to me and I would follow everything he did. Many years later I was lucky enough to have dinner with both Arnie and Maria, he was a gentleman and we shared some old stories.

I have a problem that may or may not be aspie related. When I watch a film etc I perceive the person on the screen to be the character, I have no idea who 'they' are. As I said to my partner, I have watched Star Wars more than 30 times and the only actor I can name is Harrison Ford, and only then because we share a name.

Last edited:
I have have a 3 TB drive dedicated to avi movies...I am obsessed with collecting movies starting at the talkie stage...I know quite a bit of useless trivia about actors/actresses,but no obsession of anyone in particular

Actors or actresses don't interest me, met a few but wasn't overly impressed. The one person I get get a special interest in was Arnold Schwarzenegger way back in his early days. Back then I had started weightlifting and he was on the scene, the guys determination and endurance got to me and I would follow everything he did. Many years later I was lucky enough to have dinner with both Arnie and Maria, he was a gentleman and we shared some old stories.

I have a problem that may or may not be aspie related. When I watch a film etc I perceive the person on the screen to be the character, I have no idea who 'they' are. As I said to my partner, I have watched Star Wars more than 30 times and the only actor I can name is Harrison Ford, and only then because we share a name.
Arnold Schwarzenegger would be an interesting person to meet. He seems like a highly intelligent, and capable, individual. I have a friend, who absolutely worships him, who had shown me a documentary on him, which I found rather enlightening.

I always liked the story about Arnold Schwarzenegger when he was a young recruit in the Austrian Army. He lost control of his tank and went barreling down a hill with it. Or maybe it wasn't an accident. But why stick such a large guy in tanks? :D

Arnold Schwarzenegger would be an interesting person to meet. He seems like a highly intelligent, and capable, individual. I have a friend, who absolutely worships him, who had shown me a documentary on him, which I found rather enlightening.

He was a joy to talk to, as inspiring now as when I was a kid.

Funny too, damn funny :)

Gene Hackman. I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. It's not his looks; it's his whole persona, which is very much the real man when you meet him in person. I've spent time with a considerable number of actors and actresses through a previous job. Gene was the only one I was nervous to meet, as after so many years of fanhood, I was concerned that my image of him would be blown to pieces. He is definitely intimidating, but I got him talking about art and dogs and he warmed right up. I freely admit that I did a major happy dance as soon as he was out of view!

Wow... Gene Hackman. I didn't see a lot of his films but definitely saw that presence you mention. I did like him in the historical ones he was in like A Bridge too Far and March or Die.

Interesting, I have this issue too. I can never remember the names of the actors and actresses in movies - perhaps I'm not interested enough and just don't pay attention. Of I switch off when the end credits start rolling. I also have prosopagnosia, which doesn't help matters.

I've never had any obsessions or crushes on famous people, and in general I can't relate much to extreme fandom. However, there are people I admire or follow for various reasons, mainly TV presenters, because I like their work, such as TV documentary presenters Louis Theroux, Richard Hammond, Carl Sagan and Neil De Grasse Tysson. As an actor I like Morgan Freeman, who also presented the documentary series "Into the Wormhole". When I was a kid and I was into astronomy, I really liked Patrick Moore's The Sky at Night, and I liked Heather Couper because she was one of the few female astronomers in the public eye at the time and kind of a role model for me.

I also have prosopagnosia, which is probably the most awkward, and embarrasing, of my conditions. My job as a rescue and recovery patrolman means that I meet people on a one time basis, they may go off for coffee etc and I have to go find them. It never happens, as I can't recognise them once they have walked off. I end up up phoning them and asking for them to return, which can be embarrasing if they are on the next table. The sad part is that I have no photos of my parents who died years back and I can't recall what their faces were like. Now and again they will be in my dreams and I know them straight away, otherwise, nothing.

I watched Sky at Night from the beginning, Patrick Moore was my inspiration towards eccentricity and Heather was a breath of fresh air in a male dominated subject. You have a good selection of presenters there.

I also have prosopagnosia, which is probably the most awkward, and embarrasing, of my conditions. My job as a rescue and recovery patrolman means that I meet people on a one time basis, they may go off for coffee etc and I have to go find them. It never happens, as I can't recognise them once they have walked off. I end up up phoning them and asking for them to return, which can be embarrasing if they are on the next table. The sad part is that I have no photos of my parents who died years back and I can't recall what their faces were like. Now and again they will be in my dreams and I know them straight away, otherwise, nothing.

I watched Sky at Night from the beginning, Patrick Moore was my inspiration towards eccentricity and Heather was a breath of fresh air in a male dominated subject. You have a good selection of presenters there.
it is funny you should mention this...I have a problem remembering names when they are told to me verbally...if I see something written down or on a screen,it gets stored as an image and I can dispose of the paper or close the window on what it was viewed on because the image can be recalled when needed and stays as a permanent record in my mind...I can remember all of my own phone numbers since childhood as well,or can dial them by patterns on a touch pad phone

it is funny you should mention this...I have a problem remembering names when they are told to me verbally...if I see something written down or on a screen,it gets stored as an image and I can dispose of the paper or close the window on what it was viewed on because the image can be recalled when needed and stays as a permanent record in my mind...I can remember all of my own phone numbers since childhood as well,or can dial them by patterns on a touch pad phone

I remember us having a similar conversation some time back about storing images as we both have that 'talent'. My problem with it is that the faces are blurred out, so whilst it works brilliantly for everything else my head is like Google Street View.

I remember us having a similar conversation some time back about storing images as we both have that 'talent'. My problem with it is that the faces are blurred out, so whilst it works brilliantly for everything else my head is like Google Street View.
from what I understand,you may have an eidetic visual memory,where the images are there but lacking in finer details,as opposed to photographic where all the images are precise and very well defined

from what I understand,you may have an eidetic visual memory,where the images are there but lacking in finer details,as opposed to photographic where all the images are precise and very well defined

Interesting, I shall look into that aspect, thank you.

I also have prosopagnosia, which is probably the most awkward, and embarrasing, of my conditions.

The young lady I have an interest in constantly changes her hairstyle, which is one of the main ways I identify people, besides their clothes and build, which can be embarrassing when I pass her in the street and have to dash back, having recognised her walk or coat..
Peoples faces aren't blurred to me, rather, I need to study them for a while to distinguish expressions from the general geography of features.. noses are just noses, until I learn to recognise this nose from that one. Once I've met a person a few times and especially if I have an interest in them, I seem to be able to memorise the geography and skip straight to recognising expressions.
This doesn't seem to fit the 'classic' definition of prosopagnosia, but I've yet to find anything closer.

Heh, I totally forgot the subject of the thread.. I had a 'thing' for Christopher Lambert for years, since Highlander in.. 1986? Watched everything he was in.. even the second Highlander film o_O .. nah it was ok really, just took a lot of suspension of disbelief :rolleyes:

Heh, I totally forgot the subject of the thread.. I had a 'thing' for Christopher Lambert for years, since Highlander in.. 1986? Watched everything he was in.. even the second Highlander film o_O .. nah it was ok really, just took a lot of suspension of disbelief :rolleyes:
It's all good ;)

yer, I'll have a bit of an obsession with an actor or presenter from time to time. It comes and goes though. At the moment I have a bit of a 'thing' for James McAvoy and Jamie Dornan. I haven't seen the most recent Xmen film, but am looking forward to watching James McAvoy in that :)

New Threads

Top Bottom