• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Georgia Galaxy

Georgie Girl <3
V.I.P Member
Have you guys ever considered acting/theatre or experienced a job like that? Tell me about it! As some of you already know, I have appeared in a music video as a background waitress (SUPER excited for it to release in 2 - 4 weeks, I feel like I've been waiting forever). I have also dubbed over cartoons, etc on my YouTube channel. Will likely appear in more things in the future, super hyped for that :3

I guess all the silly photoshoots I do could essentially be considered “acting,” but I’m terrible at acting verbally because I can’t really remember lines (I was in a few school plays and forgot my lines and had to improvise. It was very embarrassing lol)

I’ve been told that I would be good at performing because I’m very expressive and I have good facial expressions, and I’m “charismatic.”
People actually made fun of me in high school because I apparently look and act like a cartoon character.
But I think I will stick to making nonfiction video content…

I’m super excited to see your music video! :)

I guess all the silly photoshoots I do could essentially be considered “acting,” but I’m terrible at acting verbally because I can’t really remember lines (I was in a few school plays and forgot my lines and had to improvise. It was very embarrassing lol)

I’ve been told that I would be good at performing because I’m very expressive and I have good facial expressions, and I’m “charismatic.”
People actually made fun of me in high school because I apparently look and act like a cartoon character.
But I think I will stick to making nonfiction video content…

I’m super excited to see your music video! :)
Aww that's okay! You must've tried your best and that's all that matters ^_^ Hehe, aww.... Well, maybe they had good intentions really. I'm super excited to see it too <3

I've tried acting and I just can't... I can't get the intonation and body language right, convey the emotion. I can't do this in real life, and I can't act it.

I took acting in high school. Like Progster, I wasn't very good at it, but the classes turned out to be important as they constantly put me in situations where I was out of my comfort zone, and so I learned a lot about not taking everything so seriously, to have some fun at times, and even to laugh at myself.

As a result, I think that acting / theatre / improv can be really useful for personal development for anyone on the spectrum who's more introverted and bookwormish.

In high school, my drama teacher gave me a one line role, something like gigi has to go weewee. I had a long dress for stage. I had a real dog that l was to pick up after l said the line. Apparently as l picked up the dog, l also brought up my dress to my waist bringing the entire HS audience down with laughter, l also had no idea why they were laughing, somebody told me 20 mins later.

I like Luca, also have very expressive face, and guys tell me that they like to watch me, (hopefully this good and not bad). I later was a fitting model, because of my measurements, clothes were cut to my , not sure how to explain it, but the lady said l had the ratio of parts. Then later, l did a short stint as a model in a mall. Yes, l am familiar with the stage, even was asked to give a speech in my early twenties.

Modeling on stage for quite a few years. Guess you could call that acting.
I was also an instructor for a large modeling school.
Vocal was more to my liking.
Commentator for modeling shows, teaching, speaking for an audience.
Singing also.

@Mr. Stevens I think autistics often like acting or performing because it gives a sense of being in control. You're no longer in the crowd. You are on the catwalk or stage.
You don't have to confront people on a one- on- one basis.
You don't have to fit in with a group.
Even when teaching, the students are looking to you for guidance.
I found it all very interesting and fun.

Have you guys ever considered acting/theatre or experienced a job like that? Tell me about it! As some of you already know, I have appeared in a music video as a background waitress (SUPER excited for it to release in 2 - 4 weeks, I feel like I've been waiting forever). I have also dubbed over cartoons, etc on my YouTube channel. Will likely appear in more things in the future, super hyped for that :3
I used to be involved in the musical theater when I was a kid; I liked it, but I remember the first moment of stage-fright and being remarkably self-conscious and self-aware for the first time. I was embarrassed.

My fiance though was a theater major in university, and would do super well as a voice-actor! But they were never given any opportunities to actually act in roles due to favouritism, so they were stuck behind the scenes doing costuming and set design.

I made a brief comment some time ago in another thread to the effect that I had been in a high school musical in my senior year. It was an original piece written by a priest and a nun called "Bedeviled Bargain". As you might suspect it had a religious theme to it that mostly centered on faith and redemption. I had a a speaking/singing role and actually opened the show with a solo.

I was beyond nervous every time we performed the musical (which was three or four times; so long ago to be more accurate). I couldn't keep my nerves from affecting my voice; it quavered a great deal on opening night. It did not get much better with subsequent performances.

I treasure the experience now, but back then it was pure, self-inflicted trauma. I was certain that the tonal quality of my voice was rather flat. I do not mean that in a musical sense for I can sing a note back and match it after only hearing it once. What I mean is that I feel my voice does not carry any emotion in it, which is why I never pursued an acting career. I just felt I was not right for it, and I confirmed it to myself in my 30s when I was asked to do some voice acting on a recording of an original play about Joan of Arc. Hearing my voice on playback, no matter what decade it was recorded, is always a shock.

I am unable to properly express emotions. My inability to allow myself to be vulnerable is clearly a major stumbling block to an acting career. However, I adore live theatre and spent many hours watching live productions with major stars in my youth, which included musicals, dramas, and comedies. Cannot really afford the ticket prices now, but I have a great many wonderful memories (one of the earliest that stands out was seeing a live production of Peter Pan starring Mary Martin. This was before the TV broadcasts in the mid fifties and 1960. EDIT: Actually I saw it before it debuted on Broadway in 1954).

So that is my brush with acting if you do not count every single day of my life. We all act to some extent, revealing parts of who we are when needed or appropriate. I just could never do it for a living except in an ancillary fashion in the profession I chose to make my way through life.

Last edited:
I was accepted to be an extra in a Hollywood movie being shot in a nearby city. But then I got a new job and it clashed with the filming dates.

I think the amount we mask would mean we could all be considered actors in day to day life.

Ed

With acting probably the first person I think of is Daryl Hannah. Her story is both inspiring and saddening on a very personal level.

I wish I could have had the courage to go on stage and be someone else for both fun- and profit.

I took acting in high school. Like Progster, I wasn't very good at it, but the classes turned out to be important as they constantly put me in situations where I was out of my comfort zone, and so I learned a lot about not taking everything so seriously, to have some fun at times, and even to laugh at myself.

As a result, I think that acting / theatre / improv can be really useful for personal development for anyone on the spectrum who's more introverted and bookwormish.
I know right. I am definitely that :)

With acting probably the first person I think of is Daryl Hannah. Her story is both inspiring and saddening on a very personal level.

I wish I could have had the courage to go on stage and be someone else for both fun- and profit.

I know Daryl Hannah, I think she's very epic and my Dad is a fan of her too 8) Thank you for sharing this.

I made a brief comment some time ago in another thread to the effect that I had been in a high school musical in my senior year. It was an original piece written by a priest and a nun called "Bedeviled Bargain". As you might suspect it had a religious theme to it that mostly centered on faith and redemption. I had a a speaking/singing role and actually opened the show with a solo.

I was beyond nervous every time we performed the musical (which was three or four times; so long ago to be more accurate). I couldn't keep my nerves from affecting my voice; it quavered a great deal on opening night. It did not get much better with subsequent performances.

I treasure the experience now, but back then it was pure, self-inflicted trauma. I was certain that the tonal quality of my voice was rather flat. I do not mean that in a musical sense for I can sing a note back and match it after only hearing it once. What I mean is that I feel my voice does not carry any emotion in it, which is why I never pursued an acting career. I just felt I was not right for it, and I confirmed it to myself in my 30s when I was asked to do some voice acting on a recording of an original play about Joan of Arc. Hearing my voice on playback, no matter what decade it was recorded, is always a shock.

I am unable to properly express emotions. My inability to allow myself to be vulnerable is clearly a major stumbling block to an acting career. However, I adore live theatre and spent many hours watching live productions with major stars in my youth, which included musicals, dramas, and comedies. Cannot really afford the ticket prices now, but I have a great many wonderful memories (one of the earliest that stands out was seeing a live production of Peter Pan starring Mary Martin. This was before the TV broadcasts in the mid fifties and 1960. EDIT: Actually I saw it before it debuted on Broadway in 1954).

So that is my brush with acting if you do not count every single day of my life. We all act to some extent, revealing parts of who we are when needed or appropriate. I just could never do it for a living except in an ancillary fashion in the profession I chose to make my way through life.
That's very interesting, thank you for sharing :O

I used to be involved in the musical theater when I was a kid; I liked it, but I remember the first moment of stage-fright and being remarkably self-conscious and self-aware for the first time. I was embarrassed.

My fiance though was a theater major in university, and would do super well as a voice-actor! But they were never given any opportunities to actually act in roles due to favouritism, so they were stuck behind the scenes doing costuming and set design.
Aww it's okay :) Well, that's good for her! At least she got a cool job

Modeling on stage for quite a few years. Guess you could call that acting.
I was also an instructor for a large modeling school.
Vocal was more to my liking.
Commentator for modeling shows, teaching, speaking for an audience.
Singing also.

@Mr. Stevens I think autistics often like acting or performing because it gives a sense of being in control. You're no longer in the crowd. You are on the catwalk or stage.
You don't have to confront people on a one- on- one basis.
You don't have to fit in with a group.
Even when teaching, the students are looking to you for guidance.
I found it all very interesting and fun.
Facts it is very enjoyable and I want to do more of it :]

New Threads

Top Bottom