• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A Real Social Autistic moment...

JDartistic

I had the most embarrassing socially awkward situation today!

I'm so embarrassed!

I went to the OB/GYN today for my annual but it was after I had surgery & I had another GYN who did the surgery. Anyway, he specialized in surgery so his bedside manner was very brusque & pro - as it should be.

But today I had my follow up after surgery w a different doctor & she had a much nicer bedside manner - that is, she explained everything & was very patient & understanding.

So I said, 'you're good' after the exam!

OMG! I meant, she had a good bedside manner after what I experienced w the surgeon. !!!

OMG! She left & sent in her nurse & only after I got home did I realize how embarrassing that was - for both of us! Probably more for her!

I feel awful!

Had to share...typical aspie moment, isnt it? Omg! !!!

I'm so embarrassed!

I went to the OB/GYN today for my annual but it was after I had surgery & I had another GYN who did the surgery. Anyway, he specialized in surgery so his bedside manner was very brusque & pro - as it should be.

But today I had my follow up after surgery w a different doctor & she had a much nicer bedside manner - that is, she explained everything & was very patient & understanding.

OMG! I meant, she had a good bedside manner after what I experienced w the surgeon. !!!

OMG! She left & sent in her nurse & only after I got home did I realize how embarrassing that was - for both of us! Probably more for her!

I feel awful!

What did she do that gave you the impression she was embarrassed?

It's not as if you were complimenting her on a sexual gratification technique.
Or patting her on the head, as if she were a little girl who'd learned her lesson well.

She only did an exam, correct?
And you were appreciative of her patience and more gentle manner.

Perhaps because I've trained my mind to go for the gutter too easily - musicians tend to mean things that way when you're part of the band - I see how that would be embarrassing, humorous but embarrassing. Hopefully the doctor's mind was not in the gutter and, you're fine.

If not, that doctor has an amusing story to tell friends. I know not very comforting but, maybe at least your blunder will give someone else a smile or a laugh. (the doctor would not use your names so no one will ever know who made the blunder even if the Dr. does tell the story.)

Perhaps because I've trained my mind to go for the gutter too easily - musicians tend to mean things that way when you're part of the band - I see how that would be embarrassing, humorous but embarrassing. Hopefully the doctor's mind was not in the gutter and, you're fine.

If not, that doctor has an amusing story to tell friends. I know not very comforting but, maybe at least your blunder will give someone else a smile or a laugh. (the doctor would not use your names so no one will ever know who made the blunder even if the Dr. does tell the story.)

Yeah I saw it from the gutter! Oh my.

I also see the humor except now I'm embarrassed & feel like I burned yet another bridge. Ugh.

I don't think you burned a bridge, earned a laugh probably but, just earning a risque laugh isn't a burned bridge. If it were I'd have no one left LOL (and 75% of the time, I don't intend on earning the laughs.)

One of my worst blunders:
I was in the UK working with an artist I write for as a ghost writer and, he had to go meet with his manager. Naturally he invited me along so we could have some studio time after the meeting. His manager is Simon Cowell (Yes the X-Factor guy) and we were chatting after the meeting while we were waiting for Jake to finish up in the booth we were supposed to use. Jake's Mic malfunctioned and, I know a bit about fixing them so I asked "Want me to get on that?" Simon, my artist and Jake all turned bright red and burst out laughing. I didn't see the humor for a few seconds, then I was mortified.

I still get teased about mic riding every time I deal with anyone that was involved but, it's all in fun and, it was my fault to begin with. And I know better than to let things like that slip but, I did it anyway. maybe I'll send Simon a vibrating mic for his next birthday LOL.

My point is, don't run from blunders like that, capitalize on them. Everyone likes to laugh and, if you can bring the laughter, then you've made the world a little happier and, no one hates you for making them laugh.

I always think that men shouldn't say "you're good" to women in France only.
Never know that USA too?

If I had a dollar for every time I unintentionally said something that could easily be taken sexually, I would be quite wealthy! Even though it may be difficult to do, and I know because I tend to overthink and worry about things too much as well, I would try not to jump to assumptions. Going to a gyno is an awkward, usually very uncomfortable and unpleasant experience. There is a decent chance she didn't think much of what you said and just took it to mean that she is a good doctor and that the exam went better than usual.

And I will go on and share an awkward story that happened to me recently: I was recently invited to a tacky Christmas sweater party, and on the same day, the girl that invited me (who I had just met) was also talking about something else she was going to last Thursday. Well, I got the date of the two mixed up and showed up at her apartment 3 weeks early dressed in a tacky Christmas sweater. We had a good laugh about it, but it was a bit embarrassing and will definitely be talked about in a couple of weeks when the actual party happens.

I guess social mishaps unfortunately just go along with the territory of having aspergers.

I would just write a really SHORT note to the doctor and give it to someone to hand to her. That way she can understand that there was not a certain implication.

I'm so embarrassed!

I feel awful!

I'm still confused how that could be misunderstood? Is it because I am a guy, or am I completely lost?

There is nothing wrong with what you said, no note is required. It was a compliment, and certainly understood as such. "you're good", is childlike, not sexual, it hearkens vulnerability, and that's totally fitting for the moment and setting. You are real. The doctor should have felt honored to have interacted with an authentic patient that day.

New Threads

Top Bottom