• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A new AQ-test by Newsweek?

I got 41...I agree with AsheSkyler...seems like there should have been more sensory and that type of thing on there.

I scored a 42. I am currently unable to get an official diagnosis. Not much money, and no insurance. I just have a low income therapist who cannot diagnose AS. And since I am transgender, born female, sometimes I show more characteristics of women with Aspergers. I'm just all over the place.
Look for local NHS partnered organizations (or other national health service based one's if you're not from 'GREAT' Britain, GB) in your locale as none of this should and does normally need any private intervention. In my locale it's called 'therapy for you' which handles a small district of towns and is then partnered with the much larger county-based 'sept' (south essex partnership trust) which address mental health and self management (sort of independently of the national health service) but are not a private organization. Oh god yer and then I'm now being overseen by another group specifically for aspergers who issued my questionnaire. Confusing o_O

I got a 30 twice. But I hate the Flash, why'd they do crappy Flash? I kept misclicking and having to start over. I always wonder why AQ tests don't seem to have much stimming or sensory questions. I was under the impression autism was about the three Ss: sensory, stimming, and socializing. =/

I think it was based on the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria, where sensory issues weren't recognized for some reason.

I got a 30 twice. But I hate the Flash, why'd they do crappy Flash? I kept misclicking and having to start over. I always wonder why AQ tests don't seem to have much stimming or sensory questions. I was under the impression autism was about the three Ss: sensory, stimming, and socializing. =/

I got 42. I've actually taken it before, with the same score, so that's not surprising. If it had sensory questions, my score would be drastically higher, as sensory is my biggest issue. I think some are intended to be sensory things, like museum vs. theater (quiet place or loud and bright, assuming the "autistic" answer would be preferring a museum, though my brother prefers the theater, thus skewing his score, because his obsession is movies and tv). I think it's hard to really include sensory and stimming questions because each person's sensory quirks and stims are so different.

I scored a 42. I am currently unable to get an official diagnosis. Not much money, and no insurance. I just have a low income therapist who cannot diagnose AS. And since I am transgender, born female, sometimes I show more characteristics of women with Aspergers. I'm just all over the place.

Same here on money. I also don't want my ex to somehow be able to use it against me in court. I know I'm technically protected by the ADA, but all it takes is a judge who thinks autistic people are unfeeling and unable to love to lose custody of my son, even though I've been his *only* caregiver from birth and he's doing well.

I got 42. I've actually taken it before, with the same score, so that's not surprising. If it had sensory questions, my score would be drastically higher, as sensory is my biggest issue. I think some are intended to be sensory things, like museum vs. theater (quiet place or loud and bright, assuming the "autistic" answer would be preferring a museum, though my brother prefers the theater, thus skewing his score, because his obsession is movies and tv). I think it's hard to really include sensory and stimming questions because each person's sensory quirks and stims are so different.
True that. My disqualifiers are that I can pass pretty well for normal in social situations (chit chat) and sometimes want to socialize or go out. The AQ is definitely for the introvert Aspie and is basically a social test. Heh, when I first came on to autism, my parents decided to take the AQ test and Aspie Quiz I had found too. My dad scored the same as me on the AQ test. But he was extremely "normal" on the Aspie Quiz. I would have assumed some kind of the more common issues like picky eating and a love of heavy blankets would have made it on there.

They should add things like:
~You often find yourself cutting tags out of your clothing.
~You seek out heavy blankets.
~Deep pressure, like massages feel amazing.
~You find loud noise disturbing.

Those would cover sensory issues. :p

Seems to be a heavy emphasis on stereotypical symptoms like number obsession, and misses a heap of other issues. Dates, especially birthdays, seem much more important to NTs than this Aspie.
Doing it in flash doesn't improve it.

That reminds me, what is the "correct" answer to the number and date question? 'Cause I can't remember phone numbers for nothin'!

And the same with the imagination questions on other quizzes. Are we not supposed to play pretend as kids or is that all we should have done? My sis and I acted out a lot of scenes with each other and our toys, and an Aspie I knew was great at D&D.

Do they think only autistics or allistics imagine what characters look like when they read? I usually don't watch movies or read some books because I see all the character and plot twists coming a mile away, is that weird or common in autism?

Are we expected to hate fiction and fantasy work? If so, how does that tie in with so many Aspies focusing on stuff like Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and other such stuff?

Do we get stuck on generalizations or details?

Is being too narrowminded to see things something we're supposed to do and we are all bad diplomats? I've been complimented on my diplomacy and ability to suggest good compromises many times.

A lot of that stuff above really seems too much of an individual thing to me and less of an autism vs. allism thing.

That reminds me, what is the "correct" answer to the number and date question? 'Cause I can't remember phone numbers for nothin'!

And the same with the imagination questions on other quizzes. Are we not supposed to play pretend as kids or is that all we should have done? My sis and I acted out a lot of scenes with each other and our toys, and an Aspie I knew was great at D&D.

Do they think only autistics or allistics imagine what characters look like when they read? I usually don't watch movies or read some books because I see all the character and plot twists coming a mile away, is that weird or common in autism?

Are we expected to hate fiction and fantasy work? If so, how does that tie in with so many Aspies focusing on stuff like Doctor Who, Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and other such stuff?

Do we get stuck on generalizations or details?

Is being too narrowminded to see things something we're supposed to do and we are all bad diplomats? I've been complimented on my diplomacy and ability to suggest good compromises many times.

A lot of that stuff above really seems too much of an individual thing to me and less of an autism vs. allism thing.

Haha, I was thinking many of the same things! I am great playing pretend with kids as I'm not afraid to look and act silly with them, and I'm generally curious about what they will invent. I also played a lot of make-believe as a kid (have you ever seen the show Bobby's World? That was me (getting lost in my imagination)!

I put the score in my signature, but I still think it is just a quiz.

Keep in mind that these tests are always from the NT perspective (and in this case, a pretty narrow one). They don't know what is going on inside your brain. I will respond as per my understanding of stereotypical aspieness...

All real aspies are of course obsessed with collecting dates, phone numbers, car number plates, train numbers and anything to do with numbers, and of course have a photographic memory of them. They all memorize phone books in their free time just for the fun of it. Personally, I was good at Maths at high school, but I certainly can't memorize meaningless random numbers.

You know of course that aspies have absolutely no imagination, and that's why they can't play with other kids. Boredom with tiny plastic tea cups, teasing and different interests don't come into it. Aspies only ever play out real scenes as role play to understand the world. Our total lack of imagination is probably why we also hate fiction. We can only deal with the concrete remember! [removing tongue from cheek now]

From my own experience, I do think it is true we (or I) tend to focus more on details than NTs do. We often say we see things others don't, have attention to detail and see ourselves as being practical. Sometimes we get swamped by the details or options before us.

I think we're probably seen as being undiplomatic because we can be blunt. On the otherhand I think that when we are not one of the conflicting parties, we can often act as intermediaries as we tend to be able to see both sides.

Last edited:
21. Wow, that is an enlightening & informative lesson for me, both about me & about those who do fall on the AS. I would have scored much lower when I was in my 20's-30's. Many of the Qs where I currently can only say I 'slightly agree' or 'slightly disagree' would have been a 'definitely' agree or disagree when I was younger.

I got a 40. I haven't done this one before, but it seems to have the same questions as others I've tried, which I got a 39 on. Close enough together, I guess.

Interesting.

My therapist said she knew I was AS even before she ran the tests to confirm it. So it was without a doubt that I am on the spectrum.

New Threads

Top Bottom