• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

A new AQ-test by Newsweek?

Dirtdigger

V.I.P Member
This test looks like it has basically the same questions I've seen in other Autism Tests. I've been professionally diagnosed twice but I have to say I like taking these on-line tests. A lot if not all, of the questions in the Newsweek test is covered in the DSM-5. Also this test was created by reputable sources, I notice. So far I like this one better than any of them because the severity is given which is low, average, above average, very high and maximum. I got a 37 on mine. :eek:

The AQ-test

Isn't this the same AQ test that's been around for a while? all of the questions seemed familiar and I got the same score ;)

I'm not diagnosed, but I got a 41. I'm still learning about what asperger's really is, so I'm not too sure how the questions scored me and how accurate it is. Are any of these online quizzes something my therapist might be interested in?

I'm not diagnosed, but I got a 41. I'm still learning about what asperger's really is, so I'm not too sure how the questions scored me and how accurate it is. Are any of these online quizzes something my therapist might be interested in?

It will depend on your therapist, they are not all open to online surveys.

My view, if you are scoring high on all the tests you should explore the possibility with your therapist.

This test like many of these tests seems to be good tools in determining whether to seek help or not. In your case you scored very high which mean probably you should get a diagnosis anyhow and make it official. If you are comfortable with your traits or they aren't interfering with your life, you wouldn't have to necessarily get therapy.

Unfortunately I read too many complaints about therapists from other Aspies. A lot of them are totally clueless what's going on with folks on the Autism Spectrum. I've had to deal with that in the past.

I got 40, but I answered one of the questions incorrectly so I think I should have gotten slightly higher than that. I found the wording of some of the questions difficult, for example "when I talk, it isn't always easy for people to get a word in edgewise" or "I don't particularly enjoy reading fiction". These negative statements with the scoring system of definitely agree, slightly agree, slightly disagree and definitely disagree are confusing to me!

Unfortunately I read too many complaints about therapists from other Aspies. A lot of them are totally clueless what's going on with folks on the Autism Spectrum. I've had to deal with that in the past.
I brought it up to my therapist in my last session, but that was only our second session together. I found a list of traits that aspies have, and I compare them to myself with her, but after that we got on a different topic and we never discussed how I could get diagnosed.

39 for me. I also like the ranking of points from low to maximum.

CJBR, I agree with others that it could be useful as an indicator for further investigation, if you are having difficulties with work, relationships, etc. If not, I don't know.

I certainly was having trouble with work and relationships, life in general and wanted answers that I wasn't getting in therapy. I took some online tests, and scored solidly in the HFA-Aspergers slot, but I had two therapists who pooh-poohed the idea of getting a full evaluation for fear of acquiring a "label". One of them even said outright "Aspergers" in our second meeting. My health insurance paid for the testing, and my old therapist agreed to referring me, so other than a 10 month wait, it was no strain on my part.

So far, it is a label that only my therapist, partner, and I need to know about.

I got a 30 twice. But I hate the Flash, why'd they do crappy Flash? I kept misclicking and having to start over. I always wonder why AQ tests don't seem to have much stimming or sensory questions. I was under the impression autism was about the three Ss: sensory, stimming, and socializing. =/

I got 44 which seems about right when I did a similar AQ test when I got my diagnosis, even if that test was a bit more extensive.

A lot of stuff sounds fairly familiar (both compared to the old test, as well as how I feel about these things in terms of having AS). A handful of things; I find it hard to answer, since they rely on the perception of others I guess. Am I good at social chitchat? Let's just say, I can keep talking, and my social chitchat doesn't involve weather that much. I also rarely talk to people I have no common ground with; hence social chitchat for me is about interests. Oh wait, that makes it less social chitchat. But then, what exactly is the threshold when something stops becoming social chitchat... #aspieproblems

35 here.
I tried to answer the questions as honestly as possible in relation to my current situation rather than refer back to how I know they would be answered given my knowledge of Aspergers and the other tests already taken, so I could have scored higher but I chose to take into account how I have been trying to be more social in the last few years since my diagnosis was given to me ; ]

I got a 41, which is right. I always score 39-41 no matter where or when I take the AQ. What really blew my mind this week was taking the RAADS-R this week and scored exactly the same score I got when I took it back in April, 194. Mind you I did not take it any between April and this week.

This test looks like it has basically the same questions I've seen in other Autism Tests. I've been professionally diagnosed twice but I have to say I like taking these on-line tests. A lot if not all, of the questions in the Newsweek test is covered in the DSM-5. Also this test was created by reputable sources, I notice. So far I like this one better than any of them because the severity is given which is low, average, above average, very high and maximum. I got a 37 on mine. :eek:

The AQ-test
I got a 42. I answered the questions honestly, without trying to manipulate the outcome.

In this version of the test, sometimes the questions it gave were essentially the same as prior questions, but worded a little differently. I guess those were in regards to things which are especially important indicators, so they wanted to repeat them in order to make them count for more, and in order to make sure that someone had multiple chances to answer those particular ones correctly.

I kind of feel like this one is better.

Last edited:
I scored a 42. I am currently unable to get an official diagnosis. Not much money, and no insurance. I just have a low income therapist who cannot diagnose AS. And since I am transgender, born female, sometimes I show more characteristics of women with Aspergers. I'm just all over the place.

Just took it and got 35. I tried to skew my answers away from the extreme to moderate according to my understanding of AS. That is I minimized some of the AS traits to get a lower score.
The second time, just answering the way I really am, I scored 43.

God made me whatever I am so I am content in it. I thank God for life itself. I see no reason to allow a test to put me in some kind of pigeon hole classification to limit me. "With God, all things are possible."

New Threads

Top Bottom