• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

27 Married 3 Children

TurnerA

Good Morning,

I have grown up found a great partner had three lovely children. Whilst completing a 4 year apprenticeship and now a qualified electrician.
At the age of 27 it has come to my attention that I fall into the spectrum somewhere.

At present I have only limited knowledge on the subject with no formal diagnosis however in the past three weeks of reading and watching videos, Its been a hard thing to accept but at the same time such a relief that I have found an answer in searching for how I feel different to other people.

My wife currently is going through a bereavement of her grandfather and it also is a big loss to all of the family. My discovery so to speak has come in the period of this sensitive matter so at present I'm unable to tell my wife as she needs some time with our sudden loss.

My concern is how I go about approaching a diagnosis so I can make my working life easier and take some of the anxiety away from myself and in turn be less worried about my poor motor skills and make my life a lot happier which will in turn help the wife and children.

Many thanks for your time reading this.

I hope you can help.

First, congrats on the apprenticeship, that’s huge. There is a major trade shortage and skilled trades workers make a good living.

Finding an assessment while not a kid is slightly more difficult. Just google around your local area with key works like “adult ASD” etc.

upload_2019-2-28_6-55-18.png

The options for adult diagnosis vary a lot depending on where you live. You might be lucky and someone on here may have knowledge of getting diagnosed in your area, but your best bet is use good old google. If there are any autism charities local to you they may have advise.

Hi TurnerA. I'm not clear as to where your stress is coming from. Is it from learning you are on the spectrum or the things you struggle with? You're the same person you were before. In knowing your struggles it will help give you new ways of handling them.

Hi, welcome. Personally I'd hold off telling anyone, because they just won't understand. It's really impossible for anyone to understand, even other autistic people, because it's such a large spectrum and we all process things differently. Your wife should obviously be informed, but perhaps wait until after a formal diagnosis, and she is finished grieving for her loss.

Good Morning,

I have grown up found a great partner had three lovely children. Whilst completing a 4 year apprenticeship and now a qualified electrician.
At the age of 27 it has come to my attention that I fall into the spectrum somewhere.

At present I have only limited knowledge on the subject with no formal diagnosis however in the past three weeks of reading and watching videos, Its been a hard thing to accept but at the same time such a relief that I have found an answer in searching for how I feel different to other people.

My wife currently is going through a bereavement of her grandfather and it also is a big loss to all of the family. My discovery so to speak has come in the period of this sensitive matter so at present I'm unable to tell my wife as she needs some time with our sudden loss.

My concern is how I go about approaching a diagnosis so I can make my working life easier and take some of the anxiety away from myself and in turn be less worried about my poor motor skills and make my life a lot happier which will in turn help the wife and children.

Many thanks for your time reading this.

I hope you can help.
You have a wonderful attitude and a good work ethic. Without your saying so, it’s apparent you have developed good coping skills. My feeling is for you to stick with your current direction and go very cautiously to get help. Make sure the assistance doesn’t damage what you already have.
You are to be commended for your achievements.
God bless you,
Tw3 (Tom Walsh)

New Threads

Top Bottom