• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Overtalking and therefore, feeling way out of control

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
I have not felt this way for many years, but of late, I have found myself overtalking, to the point of being in danger of offending, but somehow not able to stop and feel horribly out of control and the end result is complete shame and hatred for myself.

That is the only way I found to explain it.

I have not felt this way for many years, but of late, I have found myself overtalking, to the point of being in danger of offending, but somehow not able to stop and feel horribly out of control and the end result is complete shame and hatred for myself.

This is why I often stop talking all together for a little while. It’s not a good solution, but I understand what you are saying. Empathy for you.

"Over talking, over sharing, monologuing, etc., in my experience, is typically in situations where I feel a bit insecure and anxious,...so my "filters" are not on, nor my ability to recognize when what I am saying is "a bit too much" for the situation. It isn't until its too late that you recognize the other person(s) drop their eyes and withdrawal.

I used to be really shy (which people did not like)
... and now I can be rather bubbly and a tad too blunt (again, people don't like it).
You can't win.

I was known for overtalking as well, but only in crowded places. When there's lots of noise around me I have trouble hearing people's voices, but if I'm the one doing the talking then I don't have to listen.

It feels like I can't get the balance right. The feedback I receive is always either that I talk too much or don't talk enough. Funny because I often want people to shut up or contribute more, but I think it's rude to comment on that kind of thing.

I, too, have problems with feedback, criticism, and attempting to please others. Sometimes I wish I could just detach from perceived expectations of others (real or imagined, that difference doesn't matter so much when it's real to you), but unfortunately that's probably just narcissism emulation or something with huge drawbacks.

The thing that sucks the most is that, technically, it really does matter. It feels like the simulation that we all live in demands us to refine ourselves time and time again, while also knowing that we can never reach perfection. It's God's ultimate game-loop.

Maybe you feel like you're not being heard?

Sometimes I talk too much because I'm excited about what I'm sharing. I try very hard not to do that. (I've lost people I thought were friends that way--lesson learned.)

Lately, I'm finding that I don't talk enough. I want to be polite, to not interrupt or overtalk, so I hang back and wait. This seems to give the wrong impression that I'm too passive. Then someone else steps in and says something related to what I was going to say and, opportunity lost. Or the gap never comes. Maybe the subject gets changed so many times that what I wanted to add is no longer relevant. Often, I find that I get to hear all about what the other person is saying, but when I want to add something, suddenly the other person has to go.

So, sometimes I will overtalk, because it's important that I am heard (even if still not listened to--listening and hearing are two separate things).

I did this at the marriage counselor's. My husband had been talking for some time, the counselor was asking him questions, and when the counselor framed his question to me I found I was having to defend myself against implied presuppositions in the questions he was asking. This made my answers seem very defensive. I would start to answer the question, then husband would find something amiss with the way I was answering (I wasn't finished), and before I knew it, they were three topics removed from the one I tried answering. But I had only answered in part because I had only started to reject their false premise! (My viewpoint was being dismissed because, apparently, my husband's is the correct viewpoint. this happened two weeks in a row. I'm not going back.)

These might seem like minor things, but they add up. After this repeated itself several times, I kind of lost my cool. I have them an earful. (I'm also afraid I may have come off as very autistic when I did this--something I feel shameful about because I know the manner in which people are believed and not believed, and in this case, I am sure it worked against me.) I told them they weren't listening, and then said what I had wanted to say fifteen minutes earlier because it still addressed their current discussion. (I stole the floor.) I was so upset! And at this point, it sort of was like an info dump. When the counselor said, "are you done?" I took his tone as demeaning. But I think I got his point. I had said too much. Then the counselor reprimanded me for waiting until the end of the session to bring this up (this was the first time he did this). Wasn't what I had to say in direct relation to the claims being made about me? How come I couldn't I have a say in things being said about me and why wasn't this being seen as contributing--but being reframed as redirecting?

So yes, I overtalk a lot when I am frustrated. The things that were being said around me were going to affect me, but am I not allowed to have a say in what's being said? In stealing the floor, I effectively ended the 'discussion'. Usually, I feel bad for doing this sort of thing. This case is the rare occasion where I don't.

I just want to encourage you, @Suzanne, that maybe the entire weight of feeling out of control and shameful at overtalking shouldn't rest entirely on your shoulders. Maybe you--like me--are looking for validation that you're being heard and aren't receiving any. Maybe with a person who accepts you, you wouldn't find the need to overtalk. Or maybe the reverse is true and maybe you are comfortable with this person and so you feel comfortable to keep on talking. Whatever it may be, just remember that it takes at least two people to have a conversation. You're only one of two.

To me, it sounds like you're not being listened to. I know what that feels like. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this and I what I've shared. Even if so, I do hope you will find for yourself the permission to be less hard on yourself.

Hi Suzanne,

Merry Christmas! Ahhhhhh I am famous for over sharing. I learnt at a young age that sharing meant you were bonding so that’s all I did in order to “bond” and would tell people ANYTHING and everything. I think it’s sort of understandable to over do it at times considering we are the staple peeps for being misunderstood. Just curious- are you doing this around certain people or everyone? Have you had a break to yourself lately? Have you been able to enjoy any of your special interests ?

I hope your Christmas was/is wonderful. Don’t be too hard on yourself. You’re perfect just the way you are - neurotypical ppl even over talk at times. I feel we are on expert level of the game of life without any cheat codes and with less lives than the NT’s. You’re conquering many obstacles that others don’t even see. If you ever neeed someone to over share and talk to - message me anytime !

I know you mean all the best, but I do not actually celebrate this festival, since I learned the truth about it.

Sorry if I’ve offended you! I don’t celebrate Christmas but I still wish it to people. I suppose I could change the language to happy holidays and should be more mindful. It wasn’t the point of my message either way.

Messages like these make me hesitant to connect with others here.

Maybe you feel like you're not being heard?

Sometimes I talk too much because I'm excited about what I'm sharing. I try very hard not to do that. (I've lost people I thought were friends that way--lesson learned.)

Lately, I'm finding that I don't talk enough. I want to be polite, to not interrupt or overtalk, so I hang back and wait. This seems to give the wrong impression that I'm too passive. Then someone else steps in and says something related to what I was going to say and, opportunity lost. Or the gap never comes. Maybe the subject gets changed so many times that what I wanted to add is no longer relevant. Often, I find that I get to hear all about what the other person is saying, but when I want to add something, suddenly the other person has to go.

So, sometimes I will overtalk, because it's important that I am heard (even if still not listened to--listening and hearing are two separate things).

I did this at the marriage counselor's. My husband had been talking for some time, the counselor was asking him questions, and when the counselor framed his question to me I found I was having to defend myself against implied presuppositions in the questions he was asking. This made my answers seem very defensive. I would start to answer the question, then husband would find something amiss with the way I was answering (I wasn't finished), and before I knew it, they were three topics removed from the one I tried answering. But I had only answered in part because I had only started to reject their false premise! (My viewpoint was being dismissed because, apparently, my husband's is the correct viewpoint. this happened two weeks in a row. I'm not going back.)

These might seem like minor things, but they add up. After this repeated itself several times, I kind of lost my cool. I have them an earful. (I'm also afraid I may have come off as very autistic when I did this--something I feel shameful about because I know the manner in which people are believed and not believed, and in this case, I am sure it worked against me.) I told them they weren't listening, and then said what I had wanted to say fifteen minutes earlier because it still addressed their current discussion. (I stole the floor.) I was so upset! And at this point, it sort of was like an info dump. When the counselor said, "are you done?" I took his tone as demeaning. But I think I got his point. I had said too much. Then the counselor reprimanded me for waiting until the end of the session to bring this up (this was the first time he did this). Wasn't what I had to say in direct relation to the claims being made about me? How come I couldn't I have a say in things being said about me and why wasn't this being seen as contributing--but being reframed as redirecting?

So yes, I overtalk a lot when I am frustrated. The things that were being said around me were going to affect me, but am I not allowed to have a say in what's being said? In stealing the floor, I effectively ended the 'discussion'. Usually, I feel bad for doing this sort of thing. This case is the rare occasion where I don't.

I just want to encourage you, @Suzanne, that maybe the entire weight of feeling out of control and shameful at overtalking shouldn't rest entirely on your shoulders. Maybe you--like me--are looking for validation that you're being heard and aren't receiving any. Maybe with a person who accepts you, you wouldn't find the need to overtalk. Or maybe the reverse is true and maybe you are comfortable with this person and so you feel comfortable to keep on talking. Whatever it may be, just remember that it takes at least two people to have a conversation. You're only one of two.

To me, it sounds like you're not being listened to. I know what that feels like. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this and I what I've shared. Even if so, I do hope you will find for yourself the permission to be less hard on yourself.
First of all, it seems this therapist is NOT being impartial, which is hardly going to achieve the results that you need. All it will do, is give your husband validation for how he treats you, since he got the therapist on his side. Agh, makes me angry just thinking of what you are having to go through.

I questioned myself recently on how I am perceived. My conclusion is because I am mute when there are more than one other person around, I am seen as a kind of a shadow; not terribly important. And when I do get to speak, it is like the person is bored out of their wits and that confuses me, because I am trying to be as friendly as possible, so it is hard work for me.

I do hate being one of those people who is just there; who has a weak personality.

Sorry if I’ve offended you! I don’t celebrate Christmas but I still wish it to people. I suppose I could change the language to happy holidays and should be more mindful. It wasn’t the point of my message either way.

Hey, no offense taken :)

To me, it is just a normal day.

I used to celebrate, but when I discovered the truth; I could not celebrate anymore and so that has been around 23 years now.

Please don’t let it worry you. I think you’ll find people here can provide information and listen without giving or taking offense,

I will echo @WhitewaterWoman.

This is what connection is. Conversing with people who are different, taking in new perspectives. I am like you and worry about offending or saying the wrong thing. People here I’ve heard me say many times, sometimes I will lose my words altogether because I feel I can’t find the right ones.

But if I do say so myself, it is safe here. Of all the places in the world, I think it is worth taking a chance here.

New Threads

Top Bottom