• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dementia

Jonn

V.I.P Member

The 12 risk factors highlighted in the study​

In the research, scientists identified 12 risk factors which are associated with higher risk of young-onset dementia:

• Orthostatic hypotension
  • Depression
  • Alcoholic intoxication
  • Stroke
  • Genetic risk (the APOE gene)
  • High deprivation
  • Diabetes
  • Heart disease
  • Vitamin D deficiency
  • Hearing impairment
  • High C-reactive protein levels
  • Social isolation

Dementia doesn't frighten me as much as cancer (although dementia frightens me if it happens to loved ones of course). I'm halfway there already, as I feel like some ADHD behaviours are similar to dementia - BUT NOT THE SAME THING AT ALL (before I offend anyone). I have excellent long-term memory, remembering stuff from childhood, yet I can't remember how on earth I had made such a mess in the living-room or something like that, also one time at work I wrote a note for myself to remember to clear my tools away - but I forgot to look at the note and had left my tools out. Ugh!

The 12 risk factors highlighted in the study​

In the research, scientists identified 12 risk factors which are associated with higher risk of young-onset dementia:

• Orthostatic hypotension
  • Depression
  • Alcoholic intoxication
  • Stroke
  • Genetic risk (the APOE gene)
  • High deprivation
  • Diabetes
  • Heart disease
  • Vitamin D deficiency
  • Hearing impairment
  • High C-reactive protein levels
  • Social isolation
Funny. A key one is missing: age

Dementia doesn't frighten me as much as cancer
You are in your 30's. <chuckle>
I'm halfway there already, as I feel like some ADHD behaviours are similar to dementia
As I mentioned in another thread, the symptoms of executive dysfunction mirror some aspects of dementia.
I have excellent long-term memory, remembering stuff from childhood, yet I can't remember how on earth I had made such a mess in the living-room or something like that, also one time at work I wrote a note for myself to remember to clear my tools away - but I forgot to look at the note and had left my tools out. Ugh!
I am a very logical person and have a reasonable long-term memory, so I thought I was safe until I read that short-term memory performance is a key indicator.
The problem is, I have always had a very poor short-term memory, even in primary school.

I have noticed my attention span is getting worse together with my typing skills, but this might be related to COVID I had around 3 years ago.

You should have tied a string around your finger to remind yourself to look at the note that says nit to forget to put your tools away…. ha ha ha!
But then you need a poster note on the string to tell you why you/who put it there. :p

I use a timer/alarm with a poster note on the timer.

You are in your 30's. <chuckle>
Yeah but I keep thinking more about my life in 30 years time than I do the present. A lot of my thoughts are taken up with feeling both worried and angry about being unable to receive a state pension until I'm in my 70s or beyond.

As my habitually forthright mother would say, ‘Golden years, my @$$’. They had good health, a decent retirement, great medical coverage, lived in a nice place in the mountains where they were rarely bothered by offspring. Growing old isn’t easy.

As I’ve said in another thread, a few years back I suffered some sort of episode which I think would probably be diagnosed as ptsd. Coming out of that, I was aware I had lost a significant step during those months, never have recovered.

But some of my problem is downstream of self diagnosing as autistic. To find I had lived my entire life with a serious lack of information about people, sent me into a cycle of reevaluating every memory in light of my new understanding. Again, I haven’t recovered from that crippling lack of confidence.

What’s that have to do with senility? I don’t know. Oh, yeah, I remember. I want to be aware of my limitations as I grow older, should the Lord decide I need to grow old. It’s difficult for me to gauge which changes are senility, which are autistic and which are traumatic.

I can put a bill on my desk so I see it every day, yet let it go past due before paying it. I made a career of clear thought under pressure, but can now get befuddled by little distractions. I can rewind the DVR because I got distracted and missed a point, then get distracted by the same thing the second time, again missing the point. I have always been dreadful with my mental calendar, now that is worsening. I used to be able to recall a conversation verbatim, now I might have to think to remember a conversation.

I’d like to go on, but I’m getting sleepy.

New Threads

Top Bottom