• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your relationship status?

What's your relationship status?

• Dating and content with my relationship

Votes: 21 8.1%
  • Dating and quite content with my relationship

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • Dating and not very content with my relationship

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Engaged and content with my relationship

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Engaged and quite content with my relationship

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Engaged and not very content with my relationship

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Married and content with my marriage

Votes: 17 6.5%
  • Married and quite content with my marriage

Votes: 20 7.7%
  • Married and not very content with my marriage

Votes: 8 3.1%
  • Recently divorced and looking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Recently divorced and not looking

• Recently separated and looking

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Recently separated and not looking

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Recently widowed and looking

• Recently widowed and not looking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Single and looking

Votes: 82 31.5%
  • Single and not looking

Votes: 70 26.9%

• Total voters
Single and too scared to look. My ex cheated on me and apparently a lot of people could tell something was up, but I was completely oblivious. That really scares me going forward.

In love with lesbian girl.
See her every day.
Planning to tell her that we can't see each other anymore.
*Sigh*

Life is complicated, I am wondering how to reply to this thread. Even when I am in a relationship, I wonder if I am, as I am always on my own in my own head.

Life is complicated, I am wondering how to reply to this thread. Even when I am in a relationship, I wonder if I am, as I am always on my own in my own head.
That's the beauty of this condition. Alone even when surrounded by others.
If it is worth anything, I mean my experience had enough meaning for you to quote it, I am feeling a bit better about it now.

I'm single and not looking, especially after the last relationship I was in. It wasn't that great of an experience; I can't see myself jumping back into the dating scene any time soon.

Been single for 10 years. Last relationship was terrible. I tried to be like and act like an NT and failed miserably. I've stop trying and I am now not looking. I am content with my own company. Relationships take up too much energy and are completely draining especially if you can't read what the other person wants and expects. Animals are honest and sincere, they make better companions. NT's have this stupid idea that I secretly must want a relationship and that I'm lonely. The fact is that I'm not lonely and that being with people for long periods of time frustrates and stresses me out. I find balance in solitude. I hate it when NT's try to project what they think is right and don't realize that some people are happy/content with who and what they have. Hello to all I'm new and this is my first post :)

I know what you mean. It also makes it harder if you want kids, and are a woman.

Hear, hear...

I'm not sure whether or not I want children, but that decision would require a responsible second parent in the first place. If I can't rely on someone to be attentive to me and communicate in our relationship, how could I possibly rely on them to be attentive to our kids and communicate with me about what we need to do for them?

Hear, hear...

I'm not sure whether or not I want children, but that decision would require a responsible second parent in the first place. If I can't rely on someone to be attentive to me and communicate in our relationship, how could I possibly rely on them to be attentive to our kids and communicate with me about what we need to do for them?
You read my mind :)

Single and waiting until I'm in my 30's when the crowd's a little more mature.
I just read something by a woman who had married very young. She said her husband used to be very selfish and uncaring towards her. Then as he got older, he changed radically, and turned into a sweet guy who really loved her.

I just read something by a woman who had married very young. She said her husband used to be very selfish and uncaring towards her. Then as he got older, he changed radically, and turned into a sweet guy who really loved her.

I'm happy for her, but unwilling to gamble my mental and emotional health, the health of my children, and possibly even my finances on someone improving. That was my childhood (always coming second to a grown man), and I swore I'd either have a good home for my own before considering the option or opt out entirely. It's not fair to children who don't get to choose who they're born to to have their mother gambling on the other parent being a good spouse and father someday.

It's not fair to me, either, since I can provide care and loyalty now.

Last edited:
I'm happy for her, but unwilling to gamble my mental and emotional health, the health of my children, and possibly even my finances on someone improving. That was my childhood (always coming second to a grown man), and I swore I'd either have a good home for my own before considering the option or opt out entirely. It's not fair to children who don't get to choose who they're born to to have their mother gambling on the other parent being a good spouse and father someday.

It's not fair to me, either, since I can provide care and loyalty now.
I didn't mean that it was a good idea to marry a jerk. Didn't mean that at all.

Just thought that story was a god example of the immaturity of some people in their twenties.

Just started dating someone about a month ago. I'm very happy, also this is the first person I have been able to talk to openly about my as. That way it has a better chance of not failing miserably. He is actually open to learning what I can and listening to things that I say about it. He actually picked up on things today. Like he made faces at me, and then said I'm just making faces I'm not really mad, immediately after so I didn't freak out.

Just started dating someone about a month ago. I'm very happy, also this is the first person I have been able to talk to openly about my as. That way it has a better chance of not failing miserably. He is actually open to learning what I can and listening to things that I say about it. He actually picked up on things today. Like he made faces at me, and then said I'm just making faces I'm not really mad, immediately after so I didn't freak out.

Good for you. Keep everything out in the open; works for my relationship.
With the other half, He even forgets about the Aspie stuff about me, until the hand holding thing gets in the way.
Humor is usually the saving grace for all relationships.

Oh yes, humor is amazing. Well the humor that I can actually grasp. Sometimes I won't get jokes and will hurt my feelings. Luckily I have a reaction that no one notices it hurt. I'm going to be as open as possible. This is the first relationship I've been in that I've known about myself, and was vocal about it. And it's no problem so far. Only problem I see is I react bad to plans changing, and he can tend to forget to let me know, so I flip out. I've told him a few times, it may take a few times more until he grasps completely how much it affects me.

New Threads

Top Bottom