• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your own world

Sometimes I'll hear a new clip of music and then continue to hear the piece in my head. I remember when I was visiting a university, I went into the chapel and heard wonderful organ music. Only caught about 30 seconds before having to leave, but I continued "listening" to this spectacular music which I must have been composing in my mind. For what felt like five or ten minutes (no idea how long it really was) I was almost overcome with the beauty of it all...

Such trances are a rarity, most of the time I just stare blankly into space, thinking about nothing in particular.

Thinking about it, I remember being on my scooter when I was about 3 or 4, and scooting across a main road because I just wasn't "present in mind". I also remember the telling off I got afterwards!
I once wandered across a main road in a ''not present in mind'' kind of way, without my Mum. She was on the other side just posting a letter I think and she'd told me to stay put, but I didn't :( I also go told off.

I once wandered across a main road in a ''not present in mind'' kind of way, without my Mum. She was on the other side just posting a letter I think and she'd told me to stay put, but I didn't :( I also go told off.

Hmm I seem to do that as well. I'll be walking alongside someone, and I wouldn't be aware of what I was doing, I'd be in my own kinda 'world', then I'd get a telling off for banging into whoever I was walking next to.

I spend a lot of time zoned out, imagining certain scenarios. I might imagine that a particular video I made was really popular in my film studies class. I would find myself sitting in my film studies class as events unfold in front of me. When I zone out and I am thinking about something mathematical, it is like I don't actually see anything, but I can control my mind like a computer and perform mathematical functions. When something disturbs me, it is like I have been teleported back into the real world leaving my world behind. I think zoning out comes from our ability to focus on a particular subject so hard, that our brains completely take over the brain power that would normally be used for performing normal things, like seeing and hearing. This all ends of course, when we are disturbed by a real life stimulus.

In computer terms, we are able to kill nearly all processes apart from the one we are focused on, giving it 99% of the CPU's power. The remaining 1% keeps us alert enough to notice when we are being disturbed, at which time, all other processes are launched again.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense.

My friends give me weird looks when i'm zoned out. One time I was just walking and my mind was somewhere else. They asked me if I was OK. To which I respond like "???". Then I realise that I was zoned out.

I spend a lot of time zoned out, imagining certain scenarios. I might imagine that a particular video I made was really popular in my film studies class. I would find myself sitting in my film studies class as events unfold in front of me. When I zone out and I am thinking about something mathematical, it is like I don't actually see anything, but I can control my mind like a computer and perform mathematical functions. When something disturbs me, it is like I have been teleported back into the real world leaving my world behind. I think zoning out comes from our ability to focus on a particular subject so hard, that our brains completely take over the brain power that would normally be used for performing normal things, like seeing and hearing. This all ends of course, when we are disturbed by a real life stimulus.

In computer terms, we are able to kill nearly all processes apart from the one we are focused on, giving it 99% of the CPU's power. The remaining 1% keeps us alert enough to notice when we are being disturbed, at which time, all other processes are launched again.

Sorry if that didn't make any sense.
I'm the exact same when it comes to Math stuff. I was staring at a washing machine for around 20 minutes in Currys(apparently, didn't feel that long to me) when I was zoned out trying to figure something out xD.
EMZ=]

I used to daydream continuously all through out middle and high school. The topic of my day dreams depended on what I was into at the time, usually about me living inside of a TV show or movie that I was really interested in.

It was said that Walt Disney once said, "Your dreams are the vision of what you will one day be." While I don;t expect to live in a movie, I like that quote :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom