• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Your Awkward, Embarrassing and Funny social moments

Calvert

'Bout Ye?
I thought I would create a thread for us to share are awkward, embarrassing and even funny social moments.

The idea behind it is that we try to spot where we (or they) went wrong and how to improve upon it for next time we are in a similar situation.

I will start:

Awkward moment:

I was at a youth event thingy by myself (no surprises there). This was before I was diagnosed with AS. My cousin was also there, who I rarely see. She spotted and approached me with some other guy (a boyfriend I presume). So anyway, she said something along the lines of "Hi, Good to see you out here" (she knew I was quiet and didn't go out much). I didn't know what to say at that point in time and was lost for words. So I said "Yeah..." in a casual manner. I assume she didn't hear me as she just awkwardly sat there looking at me for a while before moving off.

What went wrong:

I think that she didn't hear me. I didn't know what to say.

How I could improve:

I should try to speak more clearly. Say something simple like "Yeah, it's a nice place here [the youth event thingy]. So, how are you?" or "It's my first time being here. I didn't know you came here too?"

Add your moments to this thread. If you can give tips or suggestions to others, feel free to do so.

Think I'd react in pretty much the same way. I'm always being accused of mumbling/whispering/not speaking clearly.

Ive had far too many embarrassing and awkward moments, althoug not all directly linked to Aspergers. Possibly the worst one happened in 1999. I actually had a social life back then, and girlfriends!!! :eek: But i also had to rely on alcohol to cope. Anyway, I was a bit of a goth and my girlfriend at the time thought it would be cool if I went to Rock City (club) in one of her black dresses, which I did. Got very drunk, did a big circle dance with a bunch of others and when everyone let go we all shot backwards, I sprawled on my back, the dress ended up around my chest. Apart from the dress the only thing I was wearing were my combat boots. Eek!

Advice: quit the booze. Done! ;)

LOOOOL! AWESOME XD!
And, 'girlfriends'... :-O! Lawl, jk.
I'm still too embarrassed to state some of the most embarrassing things that have ever happened to me xD.
EMZ=]

LOOOOL! AWESOME XD!
And, 'girlfriends'... :-O! Lawl, jk.
I'm still too embarrassed to state some of the most embarrassing things that have ever happened to me xD.
EMZ=]

They don't have to be embarrassing, they could just be awkward or funny.

Any situation with a girl I find really hot. I do fine with girls who i'm not that bothered about. I think I really act stupid, and try to make them like me, rather than being myself. But yeah, I probably look like a twat.

I don't like meeting new people when I'm with someone that I know well. Because I tend to go a bit hyper when I meet new people, and try to get them to like me, but I end up acting stupid I guess and the person that knows me well always just looks at me strangly..

I'm always shy around new people but once I get comfortable, I open up and I say more things. That's when my social filter shuts off.

I don't like meeting new people when I'm with someone that I know well. Because I tend to go a bit hyper when I meet new people, and try to get them to like me, but I end up acting stupid I guess and the person that knows me well always just looks at me strangly..

I'm better, when there's someone I know. I'll usually stay quiet though. Its all about the pretty women, they cripple me.

I remember vaguely having experiences like these...especially when I come out with something slightly inappropriate. I don't THINK this counts but my step-dad was being really grumpy and my mum was wondering why, I came out with: "Maybe he's cheating on you".

:eek: Why did I just say that ? *Slaps hand to forehead*

That was very awkward.

Ouch... Awkward indeed...
I think sometimes I make people worse when they're upset. Like last week one of my friends was upset her ex-boyfriend had cheated on her(and the entire school knew) and I said, 'Well, it could have been worse, and it's not like what he did would be defined as cheating by the conventional defintion of cheating anyway.' She seemed pretty pissed off when I said that.
I was genuienly trying to help >_<.
Also, sometimes there's weird times when I have no idea what I've done.
My friend Catherine(not really friends, we just talk sometimes) came into school pretty early and I was on the table behind her and no one else was there so she said, 'Hey, are you alright?' and I said, 'Fine, you?'. She just laughed and said I was really funny some times.
I'm thinking it's not something verbal.
I don't know what was funny though.
I wasn't that bothered or w.e but yeah.
There's also been countless times where me correcting someone has been intepreted as some form of hostility.
Yeah.
I'm just ranting about how much my life sucks even though it's awesome.
EMZ=]

Ouch... Awkward indeed...
I think sometimes I make people worse when they're upset. Like last week one of my friends was upset her ex-boyfriend had cheated on her(and the entire school knew) and I said, 'Well, it could have been worse, and it's not like what he did would be defined as cheating by the conventional defintion of cheating anyway.' She seemed pretty pissed off when I said that.
I was genuienly trying to help >_<.
Also, sometimes there's weird times when I have no idea what I've done.
My friend Catherine(not really friends, we just talk sometimes) came into school pretty early and I was on the table behind her and no one else was there so she said, 'Hey, are you alright?' and I said, 'Fine, you?'. She just laughed and said I was really funny some times.
I'm thinking it's not something verbal.
I don't know what was funny though.
I wasn't that bothered or w.e but yeah.
There's also been countless times where me correcting someone has been intepreted as some form of hostility.
Yeah.
I'm just ranting about how much my life sucks even though it's awesome.
EMZ=]

I am always correcting people lol.

I don't see why she said you're funny. That confuses me ??? MUST HAVE been something visual.

I also get angry at myself if I make a spelling mistake and have to back and change it ASAP.

I actually try to not correct people so much, but when it's just plain out stupid I do.
For example, around two weeks ago the person behind me in Maths was preaching(that's what it seemed like, half the class could of heard her) that a positive plus a positive equals a negative.
I quietly said, 'That makes no sense'(I tend to do that before explaining because I've noticed most of the time people don't care whether they're right or wrong, more whether others think they're right or wrong, and if they're no bothered they have an oppurunity to accept my intelectual suprmacy or burn in hell[I got bored of telling the truth half way through that sentence]).
She didn't hear, so I turned around and said, 'So by that logic 2+3=-5?'
Then she sported a weird facial expression and said, 'Okay... no need to freak out... .'
Then I said, 'I'm not freaking out, I'm merely stating that your logic... is illogical.'
Then she and the guy infront(who her preaches were directed to) laughed :S.
I'm thinking it's probably something to do with my tone. People laugh when I read too. It's incredibly frustrating because I actually don't know what they're laughing at half the time.
EMZ=]
EDIT: I've gotten better at spelling. I still get sort of upset when I don't spell something right.
I get more upset when I don't add, 'EMZ' to my posts. I actually make people delete emails in their inboxes which don't have 'EMZ' at the end(it's only like 1 in every 1,500 emails that I send that that ever happens though).

I hate it when someone is talking right towards you but then you realise they're talking to the person behind you.

I actually ignore people who do that. They have to be pretty near me for me not to.
This is rather counter-productive seeing as most of the time they are actually talking to me.
I prefer people think I'm an arrogant so and so rather than an idiot though. :). LOL.
EMZ=]

I remember vaguely having experiences like these...especially when I come out with something slightly inappropriate. I don't THINK this counts but my step-dad was being really grumpy and my mum was wondering why, I came out with: "Maybe he's cheating on you".

:eek: Why did I just say that ? *Slaps hand to forehead*

That was very awkward.

LOL

I'm literally writing a book about all my humiliating moments because I had so many. I'm writing about how I was affected by them, which I was, to the poiunt of borderline PTSD. Finally I'll be able to get it all off my chest. Even tho I'm going to use a fake name to publish it, I'm going to still be able to show this to the people close to me so that they understand me, and I'll be teaching other people some things too, like how to or how not to treat a person, and the people like me will read it (hopefully) and then they will know they are not alone.

I wouldn't even write my embarrassing moments on a site about embarrassing moments before, because I was so... embarrassed. My dad told me, "Why don't you write a REAL embarrassing moment on that site? Because you're not alone."

...and if they're no bothered they have an oppurunity to accept my intelectual suprmacy or burn in hell
Lmao, quote of the day goes to Emor... XD

I hate it when someone is talking right towards you but then you realise they're talking to the person behind you.

Ugh, that's frustrating. One time at work (Morrisons) I was walking down the back of the shop towards my isle (the one I was working on), and I walked past the general manager, he started talking and looking at me as I went past, so i stopped and turned to face him listening. Then he was like 'what are you doing? ... I'm not talking to you?'... turns out he was talking to the assisstant manager behind[i/] him? Jackass. It felt like he was overly rude about it. I hope his car blows up tbh.

Then he was like 'what are you doing? ... I'm not talking to you?'... turns out he was talking to the assisstant manager behind[i/] him? Jackass. It felt like he was overly rude about it. I hope his car blows up tbh.

People say Aspies have poor communication skills, but surely the first rule of talking to someone is to face them lol

I remember years ago, when me and a group of friends were on the train to Lisburn for a day out. We were all moving from one carriage to the next to find a seat. One of them got distracted in the process and got his head stuck between the automatic doors. Everyone in that carriage burst out laughing. You really had to be there.   :D

New Threads

Top Bottom