• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

your aspergers mix

kchapman1988

when i was diagnosed i remember being told its never JUST aspergers, its always mixed with ocd and other issues, i am curious if anyone here knows which mental issues contribute to your particular blend and what they add.

would it be possible to identify what is going on?

I think it depends on who you see. Because when I was diagnosed it was made very clear that other things can follow but are not necessailry because you have AS. Like you might have depression but it might be related to AS only in that you're AS causing social issues and that's at the core of the depression or maybe not. It depends on the person I think too. Like i have OCD tendencies but not enough to be considered OCD that is attributed to the AS. But I think it is different for anyone.

thats what i ment, if anyone knew their issues that came with or because of as but were not as symptoms like ocd

I was diagnosed with ADHD as well as Aspergers. That's fairly common.

The depression thing... it was the main reason I went to a doctor and then a therapist. I got a tad depressed over the course my life was going because I was unable to "fit in" in regards to education and employment and was with my back against the wall since I had run out of options. That got me into depression a bit, then after sessions it figured that it's not depression which was my issue but the source of it all actually was the inability, the trying to fit in (to some extent), stressful personal situations, things like that. Because of my ADHD I have slight symptoms of a mood swings, so that's probably a slight mood disorder-ish thing going alongside that. OCD never got diagnosed with me, as anxiety never got diagnosed. I do show traits of those, but not enough to warrant it a full diagnosis itself, it's just minor traits that come with the obsessive interests and anxiety cause of a (currently) stressful personal situation (and a history of piled up failings in the past, presumably linked to my Aspergers)

i would love to have a head expert pick my brain to find out whats going on, all i was told was aspergers, which i doesnt really tell me a great deal, which parts of whats going on in my head is 'normal' what is aspergers and what is 'other' how many screws are loose in my head?

I also have pretty severe ADHD (I scored in the 97th percentile of the population). There is a great deal of information about ADHD on the web (including tests), if you are interested in learning whether you may have it.

Ha, mix? Well if that's the case then I have a "Chex Mix" of diagnoses! Yeah, really! :/

Seriously though, I have or had depression, autistic disorder, temporary "manic episode", PDD, Asperger's. It's stupid really, because I've been diagnosed with three different autism spectrum disorders and then some.

I also have motor dyspraxia, and I've heard that this is also comorbid with AS. It certainly made me a horrible PE student, with a lack of interest that led to a lack of skill which led to an even greater lack of interest and so on in a vicious cycle.

I got a comorbid diagnosis of Asperger's and OCD, because my OCD was said to be much more severe than than most people with Asperger's. I also have depression, and this would be a good place to ask: Does anybody else have Epilepsy? I have it, and Ive read that there's a link between Asperger's and Epilepsy.

Depression, Social Anxiety, and Inattentive ADD. I believe in my case, they all stem from Asperger's.
1) 'Social anxiety' stemming from difficulty with social situations, being one of the most dominant differences between NT and AS
2) Then 'Depression' from the inability to fit in DUE to the 'social anxiety'.
3) I, like many other Aspie's(all?), have high focus in certain areas and low focus in all other areas. This lead to 'inattentive ADD' diagnosis.

Depression
Anxiety
Insomnia

I'm not at all OCD, though if you touch my comics...

Officially I have Asperger's Syndrome, Anxiety and Depression. None of these things will go away because they all feed on each other in my head.

Unofficially, mostly because of this forum, I think I have motor dyspraxia, dyslexia, hyperlexia (figure that one out) and Auditory processing disorder (this one is actually quite bad for me as in even in one on one conversations in a quite space I have trouble). Maybe also ADD or something as I just about can't focus for very long on anything (you should see me study ... its a painful experience where a piece of string can become infinitely more interesting.)

No doubt I will probably stumble across more to answer what issues I have had all my life and never had an explanation for. Most of this stuff I can hide pretty well now so you wouldn't even know its there but I know its there.

I'm pretty sure I have Social Anxiety coupled with Aspergers, but I'll have to speak with my clinical psychiatrist because I've never been diagnosed with Social Anxiety. I suppose that diagnosis is separate than the full assessment that I had for Aspergers Syndrome.

For now I've just been officially diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome on the 13th Feb, but I'm pretty sure if I told them about SA, they'd probably diagnose me with that too as I am socially awkward all the time, along with having AS.

Last edited:
Me -- I have bouts of depression. The long and deep ones are usually the result of being reminded in some major way that I don't get to just go out there and be myself like the NTs around me.

I had my first kind-of social anxiety attack this past year. Before that, I thought it was just a matter of fake-it-'til-you-make-it, but after, I realized that I am right to think there's something fundamentally different about me.

Does anybody else have Epilepsy? I have it, and Ive read that there's a link between Asperger's and Epilepsy.

I do. Must be something about how our brains are wired differently. My Aspergers also came with some OCD tendencies but nothing major.

I've only been parent-diagnosed with Asperger's, but I suspect myself of having pure-O as well. I also have synesthesia, but I don't think that's really a mental issue.

Hello, I too like to know as much information as possible about anything going on with me and things I am really interested in. I don't think that there is anything wrong with asking yourself "why" about your own mind. I think that we are all naturally curious...some of us extremely curious, Lol. I am very recently diagnosed...I just research things, quite a bit actually, until I feel comfortable with all of it. That has helped me out a little. And then I attempt to accept it. The very best of luck to you on your journey of self-exploration! Thank you for your post...reading excerpts here and there from individuals on this great site is making me feel like less of an outsider, so thank you for sharing!

New Threads

Top Bottom