• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Yoga, Stimming & Soothing

Bad day for meltdowns as my financial, work and personal life continue to crash. Got home and eventually hid in my room (I am a mom, so got my young teen settled before I checked out...). I got on my bed and got into the happy baby pose and started rocking away...lately I have found that some yoga traditions include kind of a hummy/verbalized breathing and meditation technique. So I added that and oh, it helped!!

I am intrigued by the ways I use yoga and other ways I can make it work for me. It definitely can be an acceptable way to stim/soothe if it works for you (newbies - avoid fitness yoga and stick to more traditional forms for a slower, quieter session if you go to a class, which is recommended initially to learn form. It is perfectly ok to ask the teacher not to touch you, but to guide you into your form verbally or through demonstration, otherwise the teacher may put her/his hands all over you. You can also mention you aren't very social and feeling a bit nervous. Yogis, esp ones who arent working for a gym, are very open, understanding people in general.)

Even more, I am impressed that this ancient practice is so accommodating of a disorder that many see as "new." Makes me think some cultures can accommodate their ASD folks. I am interested in digging in to this.

Personally, the strength of logic and solid argumentation in our planet's older writing and the world's ability to accommodate ASD folks in the past indicates to me we may have been the dominant neurotype once (at least more respected and involved). NTs are in danger of destroying the world because so many refuse to accept cause/effect, science, and logic. For example, Adam Smith, the great capitalist, created an economic system based on logic and acting in one's best interest. However, it is easy to see that adding modern "marketing," which is the application of psychological principles to manipulate rather than heal, makes it nearly impossible to gather accurate information. Therefore, marketing impedes capitalism and we should refuse it if we believe in a free market economy.

My point, I suppose, is that I cannot concede that ASD is a true disability. Modern life makes it very difficult for us to behave as NTs, but despite our weirdness and outbursts, the world needs us. Has anyone seen the movie "A Day without Mexicans" (not sure of title) ?... a mockumentary about how California would fall apart if every illegal alien went home. I would love to see one where the spaceship comes to get us and we go home to our real planet and the people of Earth realize they needed the weird smarties...

Very cranky, bitter day. More happy baby moaning needed.

Ps I have found many, many ways to stim/soothe that appear normal. Mostly centered on typically feminine activities, I am happy to share if anyone needs a more discreet/"normal" soother.

I have also experienced the benefits of a regular yoga practice, but that was when I thought I was just weird, not Aspie. Since being diagnosed (after a long frustrating period of mishaps, relationship chaos, and anxiety) I've only practiced sporadically, but when I do, it is one of the best thing for getting me straight with my world.

Thanks for the reminder!

I just started attending yoga classes on the suggestion of my therapist. It has helped me in many ways--with emotional control, with stress, and even with helping my brain multitask the various body positions. It stretches me in more ways than physically--and yet in a calming way. I've added it to my routine as a result.

I like doing yoga just to help my joints not to creak and pop as much. The stretching just feels good. But I go mute when I exercise and stretch. No humming or sounds for me. And my breathing slows waaaay down. One breath can last me a couple of stretches unless I really work at it. One good thing about the slower yoga styles.

We all know that common challenges children with ASD face are difficulty with expressive and receptive communication, sensory integration deficits and social/emotional challenges (understanding and recognizing facial expressions, social cues, and their emotions as well as emotions of others).

Children with ASD can exhibit a broad range in these areas, some having more difficulty in one or more areas than another. Many children ASD may also experience heightened levels of anxiety.

Is Yoga really effective?

Many around the globe have advocated about practice of yoga for autism. The prime reason why one should believe yoga as an effective solution for autism symptom among children is because are quite proven in terms of regulating the human emotions. Naturally, the same can be absolutely effective towards addressing the autism issues.vilom-anulom and shavasan imbalance is one of such prominent issues. The asanas like Emotional it is proven. There are many issues with a child victim of autism that can be addressed by yoga.

We list 6 benefits of yoga for Children with Autism:
1. Increased Social-Communication Skills
The results of one study published in the International Journal of Yoga Therapy showed an improvement in imitation skills. The study indicated that yoga may offer benefits as an effective tool to increase imitation, cognitive skills and social-communicative behaviors in children with ASD.

2. Awareness and Expression of Emotions
Not only can the practice of yoga bring more awareness to social cues such as facial expressions, actions, and social behaviors but it can also bring more awareness to children’s emotions and how they are feeling.

3. Reduced Anxiety
Many children with ASD experience heightened levels of anxiety. This can significantly affect their sleep, mood, behavior and health. Due to difficulty with communication, sensory integration deficits and a variety of other challenges, children with ASD can be in a constant state of anxiousness.

4. Reduction in Challenging Behaviors
Because of the many difficulties children with ASD face in areas of language and communication, expression of emotions, sustaining attention and sensory integration, they may display challenging behaviors. A study of yoga and improving behavior was recently published in the American Journal of Occupational Therapy.

5. Increased Body Awareness
Many children with ASD may have limited body awareness. By teaching and identifying body parts through yoga and movement of the body, children can develop a greater sense of body awareness.

6. Positive Sense of Self
Along with the many benefits listed above, the practice of yoga can also support children with ASD in developing self-confidence and self-esteem. Balancing poses and standing poses, in particular,
are exciting and powerful poses for children with ASD to practice.

You can find more information here (Tips for Teaching Yoga to Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder) by reading this article: 6 Benefits of Yoga for Children with Autism - Autism Parenting Magazine

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom