• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Yet another shooting, yet another "Aspergers Syndrome" diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said the following (even if it's slightly paraphrased) on a similar topic where Asperger's came into play when it was mentioned as a condition with such an incident (might've been a response to Sandy hook).

"The fact that there's a 1 in (by now) 50 chance, someone is on the spectrum as a human being, doesn't really leave open a lot when it comes to statistics. By that reasoning, 1 in every 50 shooters could be on the spectrum as well." And considering Asperger's tends to be perceived as "high functioning".. afterall, for plenty of sprees there needs to be considerate of planning. It doesn't mean that I justify every 50th being on the spectrum and doing such a thing though. But I mean... eventually something will happen and it will be someone on the spectrum. Similarly, if say (and I don't have numbers) 1 in 20 suffers from antisocial personality disorder, 1 in 20 of these incidents will have this listed as well.

The thing however is, imo, aspies are a misunderstood bunch for a big part. And that makes it easier to pin it down. Because certain individuals act a bit odd, don't act overly social, have more of their own world they engage in, that makes them a hazard in the eyes of some people. If you add in that there are some people who are delusional on top of their autism (which this guy clearly was) it's no wonder something like this eventually happens.

I sometimes wonder if a guy like him could've gotten some more positive thoughts by visiting a forum and talking to people in a similar situation. Guess that also makes me wonder if, perhaps he was on this (or any other) forum. That might be a slightly disturbing thought for some, but hey.. you never know...

I sometimes wonder if a guy like him could've gotten some more positive thoughts by visiting a forum and talking to people in a similar situation. Guess that also makes me wonder if, perhaps he was on this (or any other) forum. That might be a slightly disturbing thought for some, but hey.. you never know...
He may have been helped, yes. But ultimately I think his delusions would have needed to be addressed first.

You have to wonder. This place gets a lot of lurkers who may or may not actively participate. But yeah, some of his issues appear to be beyond us professionally speaking. I'm just not sure where that threshold would be. Only that it's there.

I wish someone here could have made a difference...

After a while I started skimming ahead to subsequent chapters because it was just the same thing again and again--someone else starts getting involved with girls and he has another person to hate. He broke the thing down by his age; each year he became more enraged that others were reaching some plateau he would never see.

It was sad to see his thinking become more detached and delusional--obsessing about fascism, craving the power to implement an asexual totalitarian regime, thinking he was going to win the lottery and get the wealth that would bring him the sex he craved, and then being devastated when once again, he didn't win.

I am also taking away from this a resolve to live a life according to my own values, and not those of the NTs around me. This kid got it so horribly wrong.

That's a big problem for me, is when I break down my progress by age and compare it to my peers. That's when I feel the most inferior, and unfortunately, that is where he got stuck. Whenever I start to think like this, I always try to remind myself that life is NOT a race, it is different for everyone and I will reach plateaus when I am good and ready. I guess I'm fortunate for this.

I work two jobs so i haven't heard any of this first hand from the news, but i hate this trend too. The media latches onto whatever will make a story, whatever will make headlines, and highlighting the fact a shooter (be it the new one in Cali or otherwise)....i hate it! It makes us look bad! And all of the handful of shooters i've ever heard of that supposedly had aspergers probably had a comorbid mental illness driving the violence. Just based on the post i've seen on here, it sounds like the Cali guy had narcissistic personality disorder or something like that. Blaming it purely on aspergers makes us look bad and quite frankly when i saw the Colorado shooter, whatever his name was, on the news all that time back it made me question myself sort of. Was i really in the same grouping as someone like that? I couldn't be. How bad must NT's who have no idea what aspergers is think of us, then, when they hear things about shootings committed by people diagnosed with aspergers?

I don't watch the news because they just sensationalize (and repeat) everything, but i hate when all it does in regards to aspergers is make aspies look bad and - even worse - represent autism as only being low functioning people. Everytime i see something about autism on the news (my mom watches it all the time) its about those on the low functioning end. And dont get me wrong, those kids need support, but awareness needs to be raised about us too. That people - kids, teens, and adults alike - can have AS/HFA and be neurologically different and genuinely find certain things more difficult or next to impossible, but still present as just odd or awkward.

I read a good chunk of the kid's manifesto, basically a 140-page suicide note. I can't help but feel--there but for the grace of God go I. I know what's it's like to feel like puberty shattered the innocence of my world. (It's nice to have let go of stuff like that!) I remember being lost in my own head.

Yes, me too. I could write a whole book about it.

I'm in not too good of a mood today, so sorry about that, it's just sad that those **** *** ***** at the media are always blaming people who don't have something to do with it at all!

I think all the aspies together should build a city and live together with people (NT's too) who can accept how we are and that we are not some kind of dangerous lunatics who are out of their minds

**** this entire ****** world

PS: Sorry about that. I just had to get it off of my chest.

That's a big problem for me, is when I break down my progress by age and compare it to my peers. That's when I feel the most inferior, and unfortunately, that is where he got stuck. Whenever I start to think like this, I always try to remind myself that life is NOT a race, it is different for everyone and I will reach plateaus when I am good and ready. I guess I'm fortunate for this.

Yes... The guy's note suggested that he was not able to accept the fact that he was different. I came on AspiesCentral and realized that it's okay to be different--there are lots of great people out there if you can just find them, and I found them here! :)

If the media is going to mention Asperger's at all with this, I'd like it if the attention was directed to the way the kid was ruthlessly bullied because he was at the bottom of the social ladder. He didn't go out of his way seeking it, but that's what he got.

I've said the following (even if it's slightly paraphrased) on a similar topic where Asperger's came into play when it was mentioned as a condition with such an incident (might've been a response to Sandy hook).

"The fact that there's a 1 in (by now) 50 chance, someone is on the spectrum as a human being, doesn't really leave open a lot when it comes to statistics. By that reasoning, 1 in every 50 shooters could be on the spectrum as well." And considering Asperger's tends to be perceived as "high functioning".. afterall, for plenty of sprees there needs to be considerate of planning. It doesn't mean that I justify every 50th being on the spectrum and doing such a thing though. But I mean... eventually something will happen and it will be someone on the spectrum. Similarly, if say (and I don't have numbers) 1 in 20 suffers from antisocial personality disorder, 1 in 20 of these incidents will have this listed as well.

The thing however is, imo, aspies are a misunderstood bunch for a big part. And that makes it easier to pin it down. Because certain individuals act a bit odd, don't act overly social, have more of their own world they engage in, that makes them a hazard in the eyes of some people. If you add in that there are some people who are delusional on top of their autism (which this guy clearly was) it's no wonder something like this eventually happens.

That's a good point about maybe it could have helped him to have support. I think that its bad enough that some Aspies are going to be born with those disorders, but on top of that, they're going to receive so much rejection and hurt as a result, I could push them over the edge

Yes... The guy's note suggested that he was not able to accept the fact that he was different. I came on AspiesCentral and realized that it's okay to be different--there are lots of great people out there if you can just find them, and I found them here! :)

If the media is going to mention Asperger's at all with this, I'd like it if the attention was directed to the way the kid was ruthlessly bullied because he was at the bottom of the social ladder. He didn't go out of his way seeking it, but that's what he got.

I hate to say this but there's a reason why the media over-sensitive things like shootings and killings, it sells newspapers...

The media is dirty business and they don't give a damn who they step on as long as they get their story or emotional response from the public. Recently they've found a new minority group to step on, all of us with Autism !

I'd hate to be a surviving victim in some shooting or other terrorist attack because as soon as I leave the hospital I would be flooded with **** loads of reporters all fighting among each other to get a statement out of me.

I think of the media as pestilent little flies searching for a turd to consume, If I took a **** on a side walk you can be sure that they'll be all over it.

I guess I'm not as informed as everyone else, so I'd like to solicit some articles that specifically pin his autism as a likely contributing factor in the shooting. The ones I've seen so far have been mostly focused on his other glaring emotional troubles and highly-delusional worldview. Something for which I don't think any forum anywhere could have helped.

The comments on these type of articles always amuse me because anyone online could be anything they want, like professional therapist or doctors.

Yeah I took a look at another article and couldn't resist reading the comments to see if I'm right that people would start arguing over the stupid **** like who knows the DSM better than the professionals who actually took a class or two on the subject or who out bluff the others while people who claim they have a life outside of the internet would get sucked into the stupid debate of who could play the better imaginary online doctor or sound more convincing ...

The page is missing :(

Oh, maybe you have to be logged in to FB to see the text, here it is:

My friend Lenny Shaw posted this on his page a few minutes ago. He knew Eliott Rodger:

I am now ready to speak about what my status of yesterday was referring to and the personal tragedy that involved two extremely close friends of mine.
Starting point: I personally knew Elliot Rodger, the gunman of the Isla Vista massacre.

I knew him because he was a close friend of my two friends. I will NOT identify my two friends for reasons that may be obvious already, but that i will address.( As references to my two friends are unwieldy I will instead refer them as "Wesley" and "Kevin" , not their real names) Wesley and Kevin are two former students of mine ( In the interest of full accuracy, Wesley was my student, and Kevin is his best friend) As they are now adults, I have enjoyed a rewarding friendship with them both. Elliot was exactly their age and was a friend to them both as far back as childhood.
I will not tell every detail here, because it could easily lead to the compromising of the privacy and interests of Wesley and Kevin, and their welfare and well being is my chief concern. Any comments which even indirectly could lead to their identification will be quickly deleted.

Why say anything at all? Because people who follow my Facebook site know that I am a big event junkie, that I would be all over the place on the Eliot Rodger story anyway even if I had NO personal connection to it.

And at the risk of coming across as self-indulgent, I AM a writer, and the personal connection that I have with this story has generated the most surreal 24 hrs of my lifetime to date, and I feel compelled to share. But nothing is more important than the well-being of my friends Wesley and Kevin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I met Eliot Rodger in 2009. I may have seen him seven or eight times....ten at the most. He was in my former home in Santa Monica and he was once in my car. Until just two months ago, he was also my Facebook friend, until I blocked him for making very disturbing comments which, while not hinting of violence, were nevertheless quite extreme.

From the beginning he came across to me as shy and awkward. But quite soon, I did find him a little more disturbing than I was comfortable with. There was much more here than "awkward'.

I will quickly dispatch with what I heard him say over the occasions in which I conversed with him:

As has been depicted in the media, Elliot was in fact obsessed with the feeling that young women paid him little attention. At times, his personal views enlarged into his warped vision of a "perfect" society that he would desire, or even rule, in which women would be totally subservient to men. The 10 or 15 minutes in which I was alone with him, at a First Friday street event in Abbot Kinney in Venice in 2009, he quite clearly went on about his belief in the inferiority of women, and his intolerance of anyone who disagreed with him.

As a former teacher of adolescents, I had heard it all, but I increasingly felt that this was not just a case of the wild musings of youth. This kid had REAL issues.
In another context, some of his references would almost be comical. He modeled himself, on Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars. Not even Darth Vader, but Emperor Palpatine.

When Wesley and Kevin half jokingly suggested that Elliot just pay for sex and get it over with, Elliot answered that a hooker would not be acceptable. That any woman, even a hooker, would have to love him as well as go through the motions of sex

We guard against thinking that any of us may know a potential mass killer, but years ago I did comment to both Wesley and Kevin that of all the people that I ever met in my life, he came closest to fitting the profile

Although I still did not realistically fear violence, I became convinced that Elliot was not sane, and I told Wesley and Kevin that I did not want to spend any more time with him. The reason was simple: You cannot have a decent conversation with a madman. But, he was their old friend so I respected and supported their interest in him.

I did see Elliot in passing with the two of them ( again I had decided not to *hang* out with them when Elliot was around). The last time that I saw Elliot was last summer at the Pavilions Starbucks in Point Dume in Malibu. He and I exchanged brief pleasantries for just a couple of minutes and that was all.

Elliot was my Facebook friend until just March of this year. I unfriended and blocked him when he made a statement on my wall that "Teenagers who fornicate should get the death penalty" At that point, I was not even comfortable continuing even the minor status of his being one my FB friends

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a few words onthe speculations that I have heard in the media about Elliot Rodger:

Well-intenioned commentators have have referenced and if may be blunt- projected, cultural and political analysis of what this tortured young soul was all about. He was "Self-Entitiled", a "Whiner" , obviously "Misogynist", somewhat "Racist", an "Aspie"...on and on...... It is the hatred of women ....It is his access to guns... It is Wealthy Privileged Kids.... It is Video Games.... He was too "Horny".... He was too "Prudish"

No. Elliot Rodger was mentally ill. Profoundly so. That is, BY FAR, the takeaway that the world should have about this tragic man.

Sure he expressed that mental illness with extreme misogyny. But don't try to look into what made Elliot Rodger do what he did in the history of sexism. Find it in the history of mental illness. Of course his "views" on women were depraved and repulsive in the extreme. But they were not "views".... they were *ravings*. Ever since that first detailed conversation that I had with him that night on Abbot Kinney, I knew that there was simply NO point in trying to act as his teacher or mentor. What he needed was a DOCTOR.

And yes.... he creeped me out.

Since yesterday morning, both of these gentlemen's lives have been turned upside down. They have been getting phone calls, texts, tweets, Facebook messages, e-mail, and even personal visits to their home and workplace from media, large and small, from all over the world. How did the media find them?? Let's just make this simple: Welcome to the 21st Century.....

The Circus Century

They have been getting some hate e-mail, and hate tweets ( "Your friend was a psycho killer..') ... ( People looked at Elliot's FB....saw his friend list...BINGO...I would be getting the same thing had I not blocked him)

What is more surprising and amazing was the fact that total strangers, not filled with hate, but with just curiosity, have made friend requests of Wesley and Kevin, wanting to talk to then about Elliot. WTF?!

To conclude, I do not plan to post any casual links on this news story, like I would on most other news stories, including this one had I not a personal connection. The personal dimension that I have with the Eliot Rodger story has forever blown away any possible other association that I could make with it.
Time permitting, I do plan to post pictures that I have of my Late Spring Altar .
And my regular Facebook scheduled programming, other than the Elliot Rodger story, will return no later than Tuesday

Please pray for the victims of this senseless tragedy. And for the recovery of the wounded. Body and soul

Peace...

He hated women and thought that they shouldn't be able to choose their mates. He thought that "rational men" were the only ones who should get to choose when they wanted to breed and that women shouldn't have any rights......and yet he was confused as to why girls didn't like him and didn't wanna have sex with him?!? He was completely hypocritical and delusional. I just had to get that off my chest.

So he was extremely sexist and misogynistic ? This guy not only hurts Aspies and their chance of being accepted but also other men and women despite their neurology :(

Last edited by a moderator:
So he was extremely sexist and misogynistic ? This guy not only hurts Aspies and their chance of being accepted but also other men and women despite their neurology :(

He hurts men by giving Fem Nazi another excuse to classify all men as sexist pigs but also plants ideals into the heads of men and hurts women :|

I am concerned that there are others that feel that same way as he did. I hope he has not opened the door to a whole new breed of insanity. I have read many comments (not on this forum, on articles related to the story) that depict this kid as a hero or a god. I hope they were just internet trolls and not actual people who actually felt like that.

I am concerned that there are others that feel that same way as he did. I hope he has not opened the door to a whole new breed of insanity. I have read many comments (not on this forum, on articles related to the story) that depict this kid as a hero or a god. I hope they were just internet trolls and not actual people who actually felt like that.

I hope there aren't others who'd follow this guys ideas and start treating women like **** or kill just because their single :(

I'd put a safe bet that these commentators are trolls but let's be honest here, troll is not a good word for these commentators. Their really little cowardly shits who say things they wouldn't dare in real life behind their keyboards :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom