• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Yes or ?

Awaiting

Hi,
I’m an older female who got informally dx’d as adhd about 8 months ago. Psych nurse asked a lot of questions but didn’t dwell on harder ‘proof’. I struggled with a couple of different stim medications (some joyful and some teeth-gritting effects); but because my latest prescription became unavailable, I took it as a sign that I should just stop. A couple months later, I decided I wanted to give it another try- I got a different psych nurse and this one thinks I am more autism spectrum, so is recommending me to a full real psych evaluation. I am a small handful of years to retirement, so he says it won’t necessarily give me advantages that it would give a younger person, but it might be worth it to better understand myself. He was not crazy about me being on a stimulant medication but agreed to prescribe me a mild mg amount because I felt it did give me help. I know a lot of people have both asp and adhd, so I am actually eager to know what I really have. I spent my whole life only thinking I was “different” and often feeling misunderstood, so this is very interesting to me. I’m a little nervous about it.

HI @Awaiting
Welcome to the Forums

It is understandable that you are a bit nervous about getting the evaluation.
Even in later life it can be useful to have a diagnosis - there are quite a few of us in here who were diagnosed later.

You might want to root around the forum for a while, look at some older posts, read current posts and see what catches your interest. This might give you a better perspective on things

Hello and welcome.

I would echo what @Alexej said. Stick around with us for a bit and read and write as much as you want. Things can feel overwhelming at first, but if you take your time and build your understanding, you may find relieving answers and substantial support here.

welcome to af.png

Welcome. Not sure learning l fit the mold of autism helped me, however, it's help me be quicker to see and concentrate on my faults. It's helping me improve my relationships also. Perhaps you feel right at home here, and we look forward to your ideas on how you cope and handle things.

Hi and welcome, yes, I think understanding there's a cause of how we are is helpful, plus that it's a neurological difference, not an illness, and has pluses as well as difficulties. Understanding helps me find strategies to manage any downsides and be kinder to myself.

It has helped me learn so much about myself getting diagnosed. Also has helped with my relationships to some people around me not all but some .

ADHD can overlap within the spectrum .

There is no right answer . Everyone is different . But for me the benefits of knowing have been life changing.

Welcome! It's never too late to start a journey of self-exploration and to know how to better support yourself. As others have noted, there's lots of stories and mutual support here :)

Welcome!
I was diagnosed late in life. Mid-fifties.
It was a relief to me and an understanding of self.
Everything came together when I looked back over my life.
Now I knew why I was different and so alleviated thinking I was anything
from strange to crazy through my life. Glad I found out and finding the forum here really helped too when I saw so many others with the same issues.

It's a friendly place and we're willing to answer questions.
You can feel comfortable. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom