• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Would you take a magic pill to permanently transform into an NT?

Would you take a pill to permanently transform into an NT?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • No.

Votes: 47 69.1%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 14 20.6%

• Total voters
Being NT isn't as awesome as it seems. Honestly, I've been to a lot of forums, and some of you guys are the nicest people I've ever met.

I wouldn't want any of you guys to change.

This is a great question for many reasons... I voted no... I would not want to be, but what I am.. It is not the ND traits that I find as the cause of my problems.. it is that I have not KNOW I'm ND and therefore have not been able to address the problems at their roots. I've enjoyed aspects of my ND-ness... The child like wonder of some of the most simple things... the ability to experience things so deeply... To focus on passions so intensely. There have been negatives too, but I believe these could have been and can be better addressed if I had known WHY they were happening.. I guess if I could step into their world and see what it would be like I'd be very curious and learn a lot from that experience... An NT friend was talking with me yesterday.. she said she is able to just look out the window and watch her birds... and have NOTHING going on in her head.. just pure being in the moment.. I can't imagine that.. She was also saying when she would be doing something, she is still 100% aware of what is going on around her... Where I would tune everything out but want I am focusing on... It would be an interesting experience to walk a mile in their shoes...

Interesting. So far, not a single "yes" vote.
Screenshot_20180219-071204.jpg

I have to say that I'm not surprised by the answers so far, so if most aspies/auties don't wish to become NT, why are there NTs that are obsessed with finding a "cure" that barely anyone would want? Of course they could use it on very young children before they're at an age to understand, then there comes another question, if you had a very young son or daughter that was diagnosed as being higher functioning autistic, would you give the treatment to them? I suspect many NT parents would.
Hi Pjcnet,

There are, unfortunately, many ppl who would like to hide their own creepiness" behind the autism cause. But a legit reason that an NT might want to "cure" autism is because they recognize just how much their world is not built for you. To an NT (and many autistics) our world as it currently operates is the end-all-be-all, like God without inherent good. So, when a well intentioned NT sees that you will always have a hard time, not just link-up and assimilate to pretend and get through like they do, to them, you have an issue that needs help. Like if you had "depression" or even an illness.

They never have considered that their world has an illness that needs to be looked at an inevitability cured, because they are taught it's like death to see. Autistics will often do the same, instead touting their own, superior intelligence. I'm not a fan of either neurology doing this. I used to want to be a better, more normal NT. It WOULD make life easier.

But, the world's illness is getting worse. And I've come to realize that I'd rather die than be put back to sleep. We see a lot of hardship, don't we? But at present, we are also the only ones who can also experience small joys.

No, I wouldn't take such a pill. For anxiety and depression yes, but not for autism.

I don't have some of the severe sensory, communication difficulties or comorbids that others have, if I did, perhaps I would think differently, idk.

Hell no, when I get super focused on word games I can beat circles around my groups. It makes my RPing better and I can't imagine giving that away just to be like everyone else. Having my difficulties makes me more compassionate to others problems while most NTs I know ignore them since they don't effect them at all or choose not to let it effect them when faced with them.

If you would have asked me this when I was 12-16, then I would have jumped on the chance because I so desperately wanted to fit it and be like everyone else. Now there is no way I would ever do it. I'm ashamed of those years actually. It took me a long time to accept who I am and, even though I might have bouts of jealously over a particular person's NT lifestyle, I know that if I were in the same situation, I couldn't manage it in the same way at all and it would end up a total mess. I'm not built to be an NT and no pill could fix it. I would loose who I am and it would just make me miserable.

It is my anxiety that I want a cure from. I think it is possible to be on the spectrum w/out having to suffer from anxiety, depression, etc... But being on the spectrum does make it much more likely than the average population to suffer my mental health problems like anxiety. But I think this is primarily the result of being misunderstood by others and having difficulty connecting to others. I don't want a pill to be NT, but would like education being given to NT's on what it is like to be on the spectrum and maybe vice versa. As long as the education is accurate.

I might have done when I was younger, but it's not really worth it now. I'm aware of my difficulties and why I have them, and have managed to overcome the worst of my social faux pas. I don't make a big issue of my condition, but it's no big secret either, so I can always explain when necessary; and some things, such as obsessions, can actually be positives so long as they are handled appropriately.

If I had my time again and could choose, I would not choose to be autistic unless the alternative was something worse. I am self-diagnosed, high functioning, so things could be a lot worse for me than they are.

But that is one of the things people like about me!

In all seriousness, I am fortunate in that my sensory issues are manageable and I can do social well. I can understand someone dealing with worse wanting relief.

On the other hand (oh I am such an Aspie!) I am currently very sick and struggling to keep up with job and home obligations. Having to self treat severe fatigue and anxiety. I would love to get rid of that.

That's so like me.

"basically I'm really doing fine.

"but on the hand I can't work a full 8 hours unless I only do X tasks and no one interrupts me."

I voted don't know.

I love a lot of autism, and I really love autistic people.

But I get really sick of constant semi shutdown, as I get a bit of it every day.

How much more enjoyment would I get out of life without sensory crap and anxiety causing my brain to cave in?

I'm good at a lot of stuff, but struggle to make use of my skills.

If it was a choice between a red pill and becoming NT forever, and a blue pill and a new motorcycle I'd get the bike every time.

Not sure what that says....

Last edited:
But that is one of the things people like about me!

In all seriousness, I am fortunate in that my sensory issues are manageable and I can do social well. I can understand someone dealing with worse wanting relief.

On the other hand (oh I am such an Aspie!) I am currently very sick and struggling to keep up with job and home obligations. Having to self treat severe fatigue and anxiety. I would love to get rid of that.

I think some of my fatigue is due to ammonia build up.

Ive been taking cutruline which is an amino acid used in the urea cycle. Seems to give me energy, and it helps detox ammonia.

I get extreme fatigue from swimming pools and chlorine which turns into chloramine which contains ammonia.

Just a thought.

I'm weird though.

New Threads

Top Bottom