• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

World War I anyone else's interesr

I came on AS recently, so let me to bring this thread alive again.
Especialy because I live in Belgrade, a capitol of Serbia, yesterday I was in Kalemegdan, it is wonderful park with a fortress and many historical monuments and sights
http://www.bascoagency.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/tvrdjava-960x420.jpg
This was a place where first campain in the WWI started after midnight on July 29th,2914.
It was a first line of Serbian defence and hundreeds of gun shells here fell down fired from Austro-Hungarian cannons.
This was a strict punishment toward Serbia, which is accused by Austro-Hungary for Sarajevo Assassination on June 28th, 1914.
If you ask me which words describe the best my people, my choise would be from a speech of August von Mackensen, a German feldmarshal to his soldiers:

Unfortunately, such love for freedom had a heavy and tragic price: over a million people of Serbia are WWI victims or over 30% of Serbian population.
WW1 has impact on my family too, looking my father and mother side, 10 of my grandparents gone. I got my name by my greatgrandfather, he survived WW1, but he was war prisoner more than 3 years.
There is different scopes on WW1, from viewpoint of big forces as it is UK, Germany, France,Russia, this war was for their prestige and for benefit of their ellite, while from viewpoint of small nations, this war was a chance for liberty.
Except Serbia, which defended its independence recognised on Berlin Congress 1878, first time in history many nations got their own states as it is Czechoslovakia, Poland, Romania, Ireland, Finland and many.
Since WW1, it was started a huge wave of anticolonialism and social movements.
No matter of that, 17 million of deaths is tragic for a humanity.

I just watched a 26 episode documentary on WW1. Its old, from the 1960's, but very well done. Anyway I learned a lot about the origins of the war and Serbia's involvement. Indeed, Austria's invasion of Serbia was the first event in a chain reaction of treaties that saw all of Europe at war in 48 hrs. But I believe Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany was behind a lot of it and he encouraged Austria to fight. He wanted war.

New Threads

Top Bottom