• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Work out Obsesses

DealingWithIt

2 to 4 hours a day is not unusual for me. It interferes with other things I have to do, but not going to the gym ruins my whole day. I plan everything I do around time to work out and my work out routines are unusually long and very strenuous. I try to stop obsessing over it, but I can't get over watching my stats improve and modifying the numbers by modifying my diet. It's all super compulsive and really fun, but still interferes with other responsibilities.

Not clear if you're training for strength or endurance. You might be interested in reading some of Arthur Jone's articles which illustrates link between intensity and duration of exercise. I work out the whole body maybe 90 minutes once a week and am gaining strength and increased muscle mass. Part of the reason is I don't have as much free time but I'm also influenced by Arthur Jones and his research into exercise science, and should point out before Jones, Roger Bannister was only running an hour or so a day and still broke the sub 4 minute mile. Much of Arthur's articles have been forgotten but he really knew his stuff.

2 to 4 hours a day is not unusual for me. It interferes with other things I have to do, but not going to the gym ruins my whole day. I plan everything I do around time to work out and my work out routines are unusually long and very strenuous. I try to stop obsessing over it, but I can't get over watching my stats improve and modifying the numbers by modifying my diet. It's all super compulsive and really fun, but still interferes with other responsibilities.

I work out mostly for strength, but I do have the stamina to train for endurance, just haven't really pursued it. I will definitely check out your recommends, but with me, it's not really about anything more than how at home I feel at the gym and my weight lifting buddies online and IRL seem much warmer and more accepting than my other social groups. It might be a lot of things working in combination, but if I could do this and only this for the rest of my life, (..and I mean working out, coaching and sharing work out info) I think I would be happy.

Mike Mentzer's Lecture Part 1 - YouTube

I work out mostly for strength, but I do have the stamina to train for endurance, just haven't really pursued it. I will definitely check out your recommends, but with me, it's not really about anything more than how at home I feel at the gym and my weight lifting buddies online and IRL seem much warmer and more accepting than my other social groups. It might be a lot of things working in combination, but if I could do this and only this for the rest of my life, (..and I mean working out, coaching and sharing work out info) I think I would be happy.

I understand what you mean. Both my brother & I wanted to be professional athletes [one coach believed my brother could make it into the Olympics.] Life got in the way [certain events.] I've been an athlete most of my life. I also understand what total-recoil was saying via assessing your needs etc. Many times I'd be training...didn't matter what sport it was. Sometimes I'd be alone [wondering why I had spent so much time that day working out...] Other times I'd be inside a gym with others. But I felt ALIVE!

My favorite gym-I was 16...they were my family. I was more accepted there than anywhere else. In college I started to lift weights more seriously and my father suggested I hit the books more. I couldn't explain it to him...the feeling I had. However as you noted, it can interfere with other activities. As it did with me.

Some advice given to me [about life's problems] was to "talk it out" talk out problems. So it's good posting here.
What might work would be to reward yourself working out for ____ hours IF you ______ [accomplish a goal/task.] But realize in the beginning it could be very difficult to break a habbit/pattern. Don't give up...be easy on yourself, take baby steps & keep talking it out!
There might be some older gym buddies [and or trainers] who can give you advice.

Also from what you wrote, you might want to make this activity a career path [while having a back up plan.] And or just incorporate a way to keep this hobby in your life. Plus via the internet, you can network and ask professionals this question. Good luck!

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom