• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Winter Holidays - What do you celebrate?

AGXStarseed

I was just wondering, how many of you celebrate a different holiday during winter other than Christmas?

I thought of this question as I've realized that while Christmas may be widespread across numerous countries, not everyone in those countries celebrates it. Furthermore, I'd been watching a TV blooper program - during which a reporter was asking people what kinds of Christmas cards they bought.
When she asked the question one man who was with a woman, he laughed before replying "You're asking the wrong people; I am a Muslim and she is a Hindu".
Whoops! :D

I formally celebrate Christmas, one of these years I'm going to get my husband to let me ring in the New Year with a kiss, and I enjoy having a few private moments on the Solstice to say thanks for whatever good happened in the previous season and well wishes for the coming season.

I celebrate Sinterklaas (a Dutch holiday), which is on the fifth of December here, with my close family. For Christmas there's a family dinner, and we have a Christmas tree: we never did the gift-giving part, because we already do that on Sinterklaas. New Year's is just fireworks and a glass of champagne.

Hmm...I am not a celebrator. I don't mind other people's decorations so much, but I don't like the fact that tax dollars from non-celebrators like myself & people who are not Christmas celebrators goes to cover the costs of decorating public spaces with costly gewgaws, I don't mind, so much that they are there, I just wish there was a way to opt out of paying for it.

Imagine being a Christian of some kind & having no choice but for your tax dollars to be squandered to pay for Hindu holiday displays?

Hmm...I am not a celebrator. I don't mind other people's decorations so much, but I don't like the fact that tax dollars from non-celebrators like myself & people who are not Christmas celebrators goes to cover the costs of decorating public spaces with costly gewgaws, I don't mind, so much that they are there, I just wish there was a way to opt out of paying for it.

Imagine being a Christian of some kind & having no choice but for your tax dollars to be squandered to pay for Hindu holiday displays?
Those eastern people tend to have a lot of very pretty and complex designs, so I'd be down for whatever gets put up! :)

I do wish we had a bit more open religious diversity. But, eh, I'm a culture junkie. I'm sure a good bit of the population wouldn't be as fascinated about it.

I celebrate Christmas because my family does, but the Winter Solstice holds a lot more significance for me. Not for religious reasons, but because of my severe Seasonal Affective Disorder. Sometimes I'll hold or attend a party, sometimes not, but I try to make it special in some way.

New Year's? It varies from year to year. I think it was last year that I spent it with a dear friend...just one person. Which suited me just fine. :)

Personally, I celebrate Christmas and New Year, although Christmas has lost a lot of its 'magic' for me nowadays - mainly because I end up getting stressed from the arguments in my family over money and plans and travel arrangements, etc.
Really ruins the holiday in my opinion as I end up trying - and failing - to be the peacekeeper in a family where I seem to have the least amount of influence.

As for New Year, one of my traditions was staying up all night until morning, although if I'm tired I only make it until about 3:00-4:00am.

I disagree about no decorations. It seems our city has decided to do no decorating this year and I can't tell you how depressing it is (and we are certainly not in a poor community so money has nothing to do with it). Who has a problem with snowflake decorations, or Santa, or snowman decorations? And candy canes or wreaths? Those aren't religious decorations. Honestly, I just want the holidays to be over because now they seem to be just like any other day of the year. I sure would hate to be a little kid at this point in time.

That's strange. I don't mind them being there & I know for many people they brighten up the drab, grey winter weather & add colour. I just want to opt out of paying for them. Let those whose holidays these are fund their decorations.

My New Year's Eve smooch this year is going to be coming from Waldo - and he doesn't even have lips. :rolleyes: Gotta take what you can get I suppose. :)
I see nothing wrong with ringing in the new year with a cat. One of my last ones before I met my husband was spent playing Runescape on my laptop with my cat curled up in my lap. :)
I think I might have kissed the top of his fuzzy head. He was a rather musky fellow and I new from past experience that he drooled a lot when he rubbed his cheeks on things, so it was far safer to stay away from the mouth.

New Threads

Top Bottom