• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why stim, why not stop?

Gomendosi

V.I.P Member
Why are we still stimming?

If you have to hide your stims you obviously know they are not 'acceptable' in some capacity, so why not stop them altogether?
What is it about stimming that it needs to be repetitive, reoccur and not be phased out over time, I mean, if your stims escalate or evolve the longer you do them then wouldn't it be better to work out a way to not do them anymore, wouldn't that make you better eventually? Are our stims so tied into our emotions that if we don't stim we lose control... or is it that stims bring on emotion we are supposed to feel at that moment, like if I wring my hands at all that means I should be happy now, like the brains secret semaphore of body movements reminding us to respond.

Why do I ask? Well, when I had a partner my stimming was lessened over time because I didn't want to embarrass her (or indeed, myself), plus I didn't want to worry her unduly, so they gradually diminished and now I am so alone again they have come back in full force, so I stim again now, a lot.

That old, sweet in love feeling that was so intense in the beginning of my relationship with my husband was like a balm for my sizzling nerves. I felt alot more "normal" and even my grades in school shot up (which is not normal for intense teenage relationships I hear). So I'm not surprised that now that you are alone you feel the need to stim more. That ooie gooie soothing feeling is not there, so your nerves are more frazzled. It makes sense to me, anyway. You could try stopping like you did for her now, and see if it works still.

@ Gomendosi: You know, it never really occurred to me to stop stimming altogether. It almost sounds as dangerous as ceasing to breathe! In my case, when I repress a stim, it becomes like trying to ignore an itch. It worsens & then moves around. Since I've tried out stims other Aspies have listed in the forum, tomorrow, I'm going to try not stimming at all for the entire day & report whether or not I was capable & what consequences (if any!) there are. I always took for granted that this is just normal behaviour. When out in public places where some stims are impractical, I've developed a few 'compromise stims'. I can't stand loud crowded places where I get jostled about & since I'm so small, I tend to really get the worst of it so by the time I make it home, I'm ready to hide in a dark corner & rock until I wear a groove into the floor!

Since tomorrow is due to be an at home day, I should be able to use myself (once again!) as a stim guinea pig.

In my case, when I get tense or stressed out, my muscles get really tense, and that can make my back hurt pretty bad. A sort of rocking/wiggling/bouncing stim relaxes me enough that the muscles in my back stop hurting so bad. I think its some combination of the psychological factor and the fact that Im stretching my back out when I do it.

In aspergirls it talks about stimming as a way to release anxiety and excess energy, and that if we don't do it when we get the urge to, we can get migranes, neausea, and of course meltdowns. It also said that when these stims get shut down (because they are "weird" or "annoying") we sometimes turn to stims that can be dangerous or unhealthy. This is the case with me, where I started cutting, punching myself in the head, hitting my head against the wall. Others mentioned smoking. So I am trying to find other stims that might be healthier even if they are weird or annoying, probably ones that were natural when I was growing up, but got shut down. For me I thinking singing was one of those, my dad would always tell me i sounded like a dying cat.

I hear ya there Pella, my family turned me off to my stims repeatedly over the years, every time I did something they would ridicule me for whatever it was until in the end I just wouldn't do it and then a new one would naturally crop up.
It is my worse stims that have returned too, it can be embarrassing when somebody asks why I have a black eye [two] or massive bruise/ lump and you have to, well, I am sure you know what it's like.

I suppose I am more trying to find a way to stop or lessen mine again without the need to want to do it for someone else?s sake, I kinda guess having somebody in my life left me with less reason to stim but I don't really know.

I have often wondered if people feel they need to stim less when they have a partner or best friend or even colleagues to talk to/ associate with and that?s why some stims are way easier to hide in public, there is an autistic boy in my town of about 15 or so, he walks around the shopping centre behind his mum and headbands extremely, he throws his head forward to just about touch the ground and he does it so suddenly that it frightens most people. I however, know he will never harm anyone because I have noticed that he puts one foot right out, before he throws his head, this acts as a balance for the weight shift and gives him his radius, his head doesn?t go out further than his leg so he knows he wont hit anything (or am I giving him too much credit).

Last edited:
I stim less when I am not stressed. Most of my stims tend to be stress induced. I have a few like rocking or flapping my fingers sometimes that means I'm excited. But they don't really lessen with having friends in fact my friends have noticed them more because I don't feel the need to try to stop myself. I don't ever try to stop myself from doing them. I figure if they care about me then it doesn't matter if I am standing there bouncing on feet like a five year old wanting candy. Or flapping my fingers or whatever.

Well, guys, I'm counting the seconds until my No Stimming experiment is over. Funny how things worked out: on a day where I swore off stimming, all kinds of stim-provoking things happened! I've resisted rocking, tapping, picking at anything, 'cheating' by running frantically though the house using the excuse of cleaning non-existent dirt as a stim. I have been Soup of Steel & true to my word, I haven't stimmed.

The consequences: I feel like repeatedly banging my head against the wall. I feel like running through the streets screaming at the tops of my lungs. I want the day to be over. Whoever said that time flies, was NOT an Aspie trying not to stim! My hands are shaky & if I'm not very careful, I'll spill anything I even look at too intensely. I'm cold & then hot & then cold again.

I think that, in my case, stimming may be a form of emotional outlet: not just an extra energy valve. I think that since my emotional range & response is limited, my brain directs this kind of energy elsewhere & it comes out as a stim. Fortunately, my stims tend not to be the kind that might get me carted off in a basket (loud whoops & cursing in public/tearing off my clothing/ running in circles etc.) but more subtle stuff. Be that as it way, without them, I'm not managing as well as usual. I did get the basic house stuff done & I did cook 3 meals & all that; but I feel like a wreck!

as for how I'm feeling, I feel like banging my head. I don't feel anything emotionally: just head-banging energy if that makes sense.
I've never used this stim for obvious reasons (black eyes, purple bruises & red lumps...) so I definitely won't tonight, but I feel like it.

What the hell is the matter with people? Really. What the hell IS it. Do people not think at all about what they're about to do? Do they just charge into situations never thinking of consequences or do they delude themselves about what the outcome of their behaviours will likely be? Do they know damned well that they're about to behave terribly, do it any ways & figure that they want what they want & they'll deal with the consequences some other time? How does this work??? I'd love to have an explanation. How many times can a person do something they know is completely idiotic before it becomes not a matter of poor behaviour choices but of poor character? Are their impulses at odds with their better judgement & self control or what?

We all make mistakes & do things wrong. When we make a deliberate choice AND we have the correct information & reasonable mental faculties, it is no longer a mistake but deliberate terrible behaviour. Can we later cry & claim we 'made a mistake' like ticking the wrong box on a form?

The consequences: I feel like repeatedly banging my head against the wall. I feel like running through the streets screaming at the tops of my lungs. I want the day to be over. Whoever said that time flies, was NOT an Aspie trying not to stim! My hands are shaky & if I'm not very careful, I'll spill anything I even look at too intensely. I'm cold & then hot & then cold again.

I think that, in my case, stimming may be a form of emotional outlet: not just an extra energy valve. I think that since my emotional range & response is limited, my brain directs this kind of energy elsewhere & it comes out as a stim. Fortunately, my stims tend not to be the kind that might get me carted off in a basket (loud whoops & cursing in public/tearing off my clothing/ running in circles etc.) but more subtle stuff. Be that as it way, without them, I'm not managing as well as usual.

Based only on what your posts have been like, I would like to suggest that you should be extremely thankful that you appear, well to do and in a committed, long term relationship and have had children that I gather, were successfully raised all while having a rewarding career which I am sure you will agree is what nearly every Aspie aspires too, but that inordinately few Aspergical persons ever manage to accomplish or come close to.
You are indeed truly fortunate and really should consider yourself extremely lucky to be that high functioning so as to be able to pass for completely normal in every facet of your life thus far.

Anyway, I understand that people from different backgrounds see things in a different light; I mean I am a conscious, reasoning, rational adult after all so I see your confusion.

Some would say I had a woeful childhood where everything I did was either seen as acting out or hilarious, and between these two extremes I learned a version of coping that is obviously foreign to a lot of people... that of self harm. But unlike those people that go on Oprah or whatever, blaming everybody else for how they turned out, I got on with life by incorporating coping mechanisms that seemed to stave off most of the ill effects (that may be coming back to bite me in the arse, I don?t know).
But when you've been so utterly powerless as to have no control over anything at all in your life, if you feel all options have been taken away from you and you have even less understanding of it all, at that point you may resort to the one thing that you can potentially control, your body, and reward or punishment of it is the one thing that is entirely up to you, then, what if that body had been used against you, well possibly the punishment side of things may seem the better choice in the future.

So, as a child not being able to understand the world, I looked at the adults around me for guidance and they taught me what they knew, filter this through Aspergers and you can see the problem.
Fast forward to adult life after the intervening years have been spent in isolation and a loneliness most can't fathom (most of the ones that do understand take their life) and you have your answer.

An individual can only try to comprehend so much before they have to respond to the world and if that filter is clogged (Aspergers) then sometimes the response is somewhat skewed, if the person grew up in a dysfunctional family to boot, Aspergers just makes it that much harder to break the mould and not be what your home life has predisposed you to. Everybody is a product of their environment and only willpower can put you on a different path.

I don't actually like to self harm, I try to avert it at all costs. I don't actually enjoy pain, I don't actively seek it out, it is a culmination of a multitude of things but it is learned behaviour and becomes a stim, you don't ever choose your stims or plan for something to become a stim, it just happens, you stim to regain comfort in a given environment or setting and if you can't stim, well? Soup found that out ; ]

I mentioned above; "I suppose I am more trying to find a way to stop or lessen mine again without the need to want to do it for someone else?s sake", to me that is a positive approach to a problem and the best explanation I can offer is that it probably is a character flaw that a person can be made to feel so insignificant that even under the most constant positive conditions they still will feel that way, and I suppose you do it because it's what you do. I like to think of that dog that ate Pavlova whenever I feel that way though, it makes me think their is hope ; ]

Mmmm, took me a while, had to deal with something, so did I make any sense? It isn?t exactly simple to quantify a mindset.
For some things a choice is present and seems logical but rational behaviour isn?t even in the building at that point, much like the mice that die of starvation surrounded by cheese in those horrible conditioning tests they conducted.

"Based only on what your posts have been like, I would like to suggest that you should be extremely thankful that you appear, well to do and in a committed, long term relationship and have had children that I gather, were successfully raised all while having a rewarding career which I am sure you will agree is what nearly every Aspie aspires too, but that inordinately few Aspergical persons ever manage to accomplish or come close to.
You are indeed truly fortunate and really should consider yourself extremely lucky to be that high functioning so as to be able to pass for completely normal in every facet of your life thus far." -Gomendosi

You are 100% right about that! We've been insanely absurdly fortunate for & it's something I've said many times before. Take away many of the surrounding ideal circumstances in my life & I'd be in the same boat many people here are in. So many things that could've gone wrong didn't. So many awful life-related things that could've happened didn't. The things that did happen were those we could manage.

It wasn't always easy (we began in a modest apartment), cash was very tight & Dollarama & the thrift shop were our regular haunts. We worked long hours & our shared obsession with minimizing really helped. The fact that we're both hyper-organized neat freaks helped too since we never mislaid a document or a receipt no matter how small & keeping track of all the paperwork that comes with kids & school was not too hard.

There are, though, many more successful Aspies than meets the eye. Thousands of engineers, computer scientists, mathematicians, physicists & film producers & directors are diagnosed Aspies. They're librarians, many many surgeons & other medical professionals are Aspies. We're lab technicians & researchers & archivists & curators. Few of them actually (when they're working full time) have the time to come contribute to these forums.Others like me DO have a diagnosis but won't have it officially documented because it could be a career-wrecker.

I've always believed that it is easier for Aspie woman to appear 'non-Aspergical' than it is for guys. I'm very small, slight & slim. The same outfit that may look really odd on someone taller & heavy who looks the age I am just looks 'college student' like on me. My black hoodie, Doc martens & tights just make me look youthful & playful. If I were the size of King_Oni 7 dressed this way or if I were a medium sized black guy in the same get-up, people would react very differently! Look at the photos of the women here: Holly looks like hundreds of attractive normal pleasant young women. Poey looks like so many normal-looking 30-40ish women. Dizzy is dizzylingly pretty, Kelly is a lovely looking young mom type & Laura is yet another unusually pretty woman (as are Kasmanaft & another woman whose name I've forgotten).

Compare that to the photos of the guys here & you'll see what I mean. I work in a context where, in the classroom, my 'customers' are kids. They're preoccupied with being kids, each other & learning. I'd need to look really strange & act truly bizarre before I'd stand out to them. Many of the 6th graders are bigger & taller than I am. The inclusive classes also comprise kids who are Aspies, Auties & those with Down's Syndrome. Standing out would require an effort!

At times like parent/teacher night, I have to appear normal with 2 nervous adults for 10 minutes each. The focus is on the child's work etc. During staff meetings, we're all sitting around a table & someone is at the head of it usually blabbering. What to do? Sit, sip coffee from a spill-proof thermos, pretend to be listening to said blather. I can wiggle my legs & feet or wobble my pencil & nobody notices since they're all looking at the speaker & the projector screen.

"An individual can only try to comprehend so much before they have to respond to the world and if that filter is clogged (Aspergers) then sometimes the response is somewhat skewed, if the person grew up in a dysfunctional family to boot, Aspergers just makes it that much harder to break the mould and not be what your home life has predisposed you to. Everybody is a product of their environment and only willpower can put you on a different path." -Gomendosi

This is truism for sure! The world demands that a person respond & few have the luxury of shutting themselves away from it entirely & living in a bubble of their own creation. The responses that they give are likely to not be those that an NT would under the same circumstances. Willpower IS important but re-educating oneself also plays a role. Those who were raised in dysfunctional homes have been miseducated & may believe that certain attitudes, practices & beliefs are normative. They must walk the hard road of willpower + learning an entire new set of responses, behaviours & practices as they reinvent themselves.

There are some Aspies here who were successful too, but the down-turned global economy hit them hard & like tens of thousands of NTs & they suffered terrible losses. It will be harder for them to recover than for a NT since NTs usually get hired first & it's an employer's market.

I know I'm late to the conversation, but just wanted to share why I do/don/t stop.

I can definitely avoid stimming public. (Mine are: clenching my eyes, slapping/punching myself or furiously tapping fingers and feet.) I tend to replace them with less satisfying things. So, I might hide the fact that I'm biting my finger, or turn round so I can clench my eyes.

If I did not do it at all for the entire day, I think I'd feel exhausted and very stressed by the end of the day. As someone said, like trying to avoid an itch.

Without wanting to belittle alcoholism, I wonder if it's like someone trying to to touch a drop all day. By the end of the day, you'd eat a rabid dog if it was soaked in scotch.

It's funny I absolutely do stim but I guess I found ways to hide it by using so-called normal ways like aggresive activities, thrill seeking
although those who understand can see it. Take finger tapping or foot shaking I would just do it to the beat of a favorite song.

I have learned to shut the world out. I don't know much about my stims (except that they most likely involve grinding my teeth and tapping my feet, judging by how it feels when I "return" to the world), but whatever they are they allow me to be around people without exploding. If I were to stop I'd need quite the self-discipline and presence of mind. I'm working on it.

I occasionally say random amounts of money in my head like "50.000 euros, 50.000 euros".

Is that a stim? I do it once a day at least and sometimes I catch myself verbalizing it and when I do it i'm in another planet.

That counts as a stim. When I do repetitions in my head it usually feels like a leftover from school, where they tried their hardest to make me distrust my learning abilities.

That's good to know. I also used to click my fingers individually every five minutes when I went to primary school and I had to stop that for obvious reasons.

That was extemely hard to do but it had to stop and now I hardly ever click them.

I don't actually like stimming, but it is almost involuntary.

I tend to treat it like my OCD. An occasional annoyance at best. If I start pacing at some point I realize I Am stimming....and just say to myself, "So what?" It just means something is very much on my mind...which makes me want to pace like crazy at the moment. Yet I haven't. Hmmmmm.

New Threads

Top Bottom