• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why do people want to give you "their" number?

Questella

Peace, Love and all that good stuff
Their is in quotes because idk if it's ever someone's real number... but I always end up with people insisting I get their number so we can keep up chat or whatever they think I think people do...

The thing is I'll go ahead and do it and send them a message like, "hey, this is Blaze, what's up? They never ever ever respond, I try once or twice more in the next week or two before just going and deleting the number....

What is this? Is it a joke on me or are they just really stupid? I really don't get it, what's the point of needing someone to take your number (or rather a number) if they're never going to respond to you anyways? Seems kind of asinine... //confused

At first I just read the title and thought maybe they were just giving you the next move.

Sometimes, after giving someone my number, my anxiety kicks in when they call, and I don't answer.
Maybe, because rejecting can sometimes be just as hard as getting rejected. They can leave and imagine whatever they want your outcome was. Instead of them having to reject you to your face and having to deal.

When outcomes involving acquaintances disappoint me, I need to remember that I don't know whats going on in their life. What they have to deal with.

Or they could just have their head up their buttocks. The view is never good.:D

I solved that trouble by severe and unremitting isolation. :)

I don't know, but maybe they want the ego boost of knowing that somebody wants their number but without the commitment of actually having to then talk to that person. Flirting without the intent of actually doing anything about it. I agree it's asinine, but I've seen stranger behaviour that is apparently the result of a person getting an ego boost at the expense of others.

Most people I exchange numbers with, we usually end up texting. I generally don't agree to exchange phone numbers if I'm not vibing with the person well, or if they don't respond, then I do end up deleting between 2 weeks - 2 months normally. There is only one person who kept annoying me so much, and I keep his number, but only to keep his number and ask him things at my convenience. He doesn't always respond, and is too intrusive. He just has one of those personalities- there's always at least one you have to deal with. ugh. Could be worse, don't want it to be.

It really depends on the context of your meeting(s).

If you are awkwardly hanging around or otherwise making them uncomfortable, or they are trying to cut a conversation short, they may "push" their number on you as a way of "politely" leaving the conversation, without just rudely walking away.

If you are female, and those pushing their numbers on you are male, it's actually an attempt at making you feel safe (albeit a stupid way). Many girls/women don't like to give out their phone numbers, because there are ways of finding out where people live, what they do, etc. .... so, to stop any of that, they don't give out their numbers.

So, guys will often say (in words or actions), "Here, you call me. That way, I don't have your 'contact information' until you want me to." Also, if they are handing you a business card to "give you their number," and you are not in a business setting, what they *may* be doing is what is called "business networking."

In one sense, it's just passing cards out. In another sense, it provides you with their information such as phone number, business, title, what they do or what they are interested in. They are often hoping that if you require their services, you'll think to call them.

Oh, and by the way. Many people pass out cards because they claim them on their taxes as a write-off. If they are in any type of "personal contact" position, they are probably writing the whole evening off their taxes, if they gave you a card and/or spoke to you (or anyone else) with them.

If someone hands you a card, say "Thank you, I'll keep this on hand in case I ever need it," (which is as vacant as "pushing their number on you").

If someone REALLY likes you and wants your number (or wants to give you theirs) and you really like them back, you'll know it.

It's pretty much always girls doing this, out at a bar, concert, party, or club... I've even had them take my phone right from me to put their name and number in but when I try to text them later, the next day, the following week they just don't ever answer me... :( beh idk it's confusing, annoying, and kind of depressing...

I'll be all thinking, "yay maybe I can have a friend!" ...Nope nope nope nope nope

Lol okrad... so funny. Works great too!

Op, I still try to figure out people..... but never get any answers. People are strange. Shrugs.

I don't know why they would do that, it sounds really frustrating.

I could guess that they are not being realistic about the effort they can put into keeping in touch afterwards.

Like, with my friends they'll text me something like "let's meet up for drinks soon", I'll reply "sure let me know when your free". And then...nothing. This used to really confuse me until I talked it over with my support worker and he said that in general people are not realistic about what they'll manage to do. People often get caught up in the moment and genuinely believe they will meet up or whatever, but when it comes to that future day they have other things that get in the way. Apparently they likely don't even think much of letting go of the idea of meeting up. That's people in general for you -- not very realistic LOL

Wwhenever someone asks me that I think "God no", and sometimes I say it; and even though we both know it's just their ******** way of saying "bye, don't feel bad but I never want to see you again", they have the nerve to look hurt.

New Threads

Top Bottom