• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why am I so weird?

Datura

Hi there!

I'm currently questioning weather or not I might be on the autism spectrum. This wouldn't be the first time, but I am certainly taking it more seriously this go around. What triggered this current inquiry is that I actually work as a support for people with developmental disabilities. One of our new clients has aspergers, so it was incumbent upon me to do some research in preparation. As I read through the symptoms and experiences of people with asperger's I couldn't help but identify with the majority of what I was hearing. Perhaps the only trait I don't share with other aspies is a hypersensitivity to sensory stimuli.

As an adult I am a fairly well adjusted and sociable person, but as a child, on through my early 20s I was painfully awkward in social situations. I typically had one or two friends who I felt comfortable around, but would otherwise avoid social situations. At that, most of my friends were introduced to me through my parents friends anyway. The others were people who had pursued me as a friend, and who I hadn't turned away. Often they were also on the social margins. It took me until I was an adult to learn to make my own acquaintances, and during that period I mad practically every mistake I could muster.

I exhibited some odd behavior as a child. Perhaps my strangest habit was shaking string-like objects. I started doing this at three and continued to do so well into my 20s. I would feel compelled to walk in circles and shake these objects while rehearsing repetitive fantasies in my mind. In a sense the act of shaking was a kenesthetic link to these fantasies, and I found this act very relaxing. The first object I took to shaking was a stuffed monkey, but many other objects took it's place. I eventually took to shaking a specific dog collar because I founds its tactile qualities the most pleasing. If I was desperate I would fashion a suitable substitute out of an overgrown blade of grass. My parents were always dismayed with this habit, so I learned to hide it from them. Even then, I would spend hours a day shaking that collar, especially when I was stressed. I eventually made a concerted effort to quit, which took several attempts over a span of years.

I was also tested a lot in elementary because of learning difficulties. The results of these tests were quite varied, saying that I was anything from mildly gifted, to mentally deficient and likely to end up a ward of the state. None of these tests were conclusive, however, and the closest we ever recieved to a diagnosis was that I might have some rare form of dyslexia they were not equiped to test for. Apparently they also wanted to put me on Ritalin, so perhaps there was also an ADHD diagnosis I wasn't aware of.

As an adult I had myself tested again. I was having a difficult time retaining employment and I couldn't reconcile why I seemed perfectly capable in certain areas, but completely inept in others. The results were that I was average to above average intelligence in all areas of testing, but that I seemed to exhibit signs of ADD. A list of supports were recommended if I ever decided to resume education.

Speaking of education; that has been an other obstacle for me. I believe I am cognitively capable of doing the work, however the anxiety brought on by assignments is such that it brings on mental breakdowns. Once my parents even brought me into the ER because I was having strange spasms which they said resembled the movements of a bird with a broken neck. This is unfortunate, because I am quite cerebral and love to learn, but these experiences have kept me away from perusing my education further.

I could go on much further, but I'll stop there. I'm just at a juncture where I'm wondering if I should pursue a diagnosis, if for no other reason than to rule it out. Though I am much better at blending in with society than I once was I am still faced with challenges on a daily basis and perhaps by knowing myself better these challenges can be mitigated. Perhaps I will also find people with whom I can identify on some level, and that is always a boon.

Welcome Datura :)

Sounds like you've managed to adjust well in life. I hope you're able to find the answers you're looking for here. I've added a few links below, which may interest you.

Resources: Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Tony Attwood (I recommend a YouTube search too):

Home

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

AS for females:

Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Day 62: Females with Asperger’s Syndrome (Non-Official) Checklist | Everyday Asperger's

Unofficial AS tests:

Online Tests | Life on the Spectrum

It can be quite a long journey cobbling together understandings of the various pieces of ourselves--including waiting for the scientific/medical community to catch up in their understandings of human diversity. Would there be any downsides for you in pursuing a diagnosis, or just potential upsides?

I suppose the only downside in pursuing a diagnosis would be the time involved. I understand that the testing can be quite involved. If it turned out I was just being a hypochondriac I think I would also feel silly. This isn't really a rational reason not to go forward, but it is a factor.

The positives would be that I might be eligible for certain supports. I would not be looking for any social assistance, as I work full time and it seems like this will continue. This might come in handy though if I decide to go back to school, or find myself having difficulties in other areas. It might also just give me some peace of mind being able to put a label on what makes me the way I am.

I actually talked to my mom about these issues last night. She doesn't think I have Asperger's at all. She says that I am far too social and that even as a child I had no trouble talking to adults. And it is true that I am a generally empathetic person, which contradicts the literature. Then I brought up how I had trouble relating to my piers, how I would spend hours staring at one picture, or practicing parididdles on a drum pad as a child. How I would walk around, shaking stings and mumbling to myself. I brought up my hyperlexia early obsession with dinosaurs. She explained that the social awkwardness and anxiety was probably because I was transsexual and hiding my gender identity (admittedly, a huge source of stress and alienation) As for my obsessions and repetitive behaviors, she said that was a result of my OCD. Maybe she's right. I don't know.

Untangling and identifying all of the different interplaying factors that make us who we are is definitely messy and confusing. And it is likely a "both/and" situation rather than a "this-or-that" sort of thing. I can relate to much of what you are describing because I went through some of it, too. I'm a gay androgynous female who is also an aspie. So--did my social awkwardness and anxiety come from not fitting with my peers because I was non-conforming in my gender expression and sexual orientation, or because I am an aspie? The answer is: yes. Both/and. And there were others factors lying outside of myself in my home life that contributed even more factors that made it hard to make and keep friends, and to learn and practice social skills. We are all so incredibly complex--and explanations for why we are the way we are rarely come down to just one or two things. It's more like a spiderweb of many intersecting strands. Best wishes in the journey. :)

I suppose the only downside in pursuing a diagnosis would be the time involved. I understand that the testing can be quite involved. If it turned out I was just being a hypochondriac I think I would also feel silly. This isn't really a rational reason not to go forward, but it is a factor.

The positives would be that I might be eligible for certain supports. I would not be looking for any social assistance, as I work full time and it seems like this will continue. This might come in handy though if I decide to go back to school, or find myself having difficulties in other areas. It might also just give me some peace of mind being able to put a label on what makes me the way I am.

I actually talked to my mom about these issues last night. She doesn't think I have Asperger's at all. She says that I am far too social and that even as a child I had no trouble talking to adults. And it is true that I am a generally empathetic person, which contradicts the literature. Then I brought up how I had trouble relating to my piers, how I would spend hours staring at one picture, or practicing parididdles on a drum pad as a child. How I would walk around, shaking stings and mumbling to myself. I brought up my hyperlexia early obsession with dinosaurs. She explained that the social awkwardness and anxiety was probably because I was transsexual and hiding my gender identity (admittedly, a huge source of stress and alienation) As for my obsessions and repetitive behaviors, she said that was a result of my OCD. Maybe she's right. I don't know.

I can identify with these feelings. I think you might, for now, get some comfort from the unofficial tests others have referred to. I had to feel very sure before I sought diagnosis because I was afraid of finding out I was a hypochondriac as well.

With the diagnosis though, I do feel much better. I have always liked labels and having a place and a way to define myself, especially when things get too difficult and my diagnosis has helped me accept some parts of myself that I used to just feel guilty over.

My mother said the same thing to me even after my diagnosis. At first, she insisted I didn't have it because I seemed too normal (nothing like my outcast younger brother) and then suggested that we all have it "a little bit" which I found quite dismissive. I think this is a combination of how AS can manifest in females and of a mother wanting her daughter (or at least one of her two children) to be "normal".

As children, females are generally better at masking their social inadequecies. Personally, I always got along better with adults than I did with children my own age and am still drawn to older people. I find that they are more predictable and less petty. They're generally less cruel and less quick to poke fun at you for being different. They also don't "play games" in the same ways that children and young adults often do. I think you'd enjoy looking into the differences between male and female AS symptoms.

Good luck to you and welcome to the forum! I hope you get a lot out of it and learn a lot about yourself.

I am not sure from your description, other then to say something seems to be going on, as in a condition and it might be ASD. There are quite a few people with milder cases and who do not exibit all the standard symptoms. I will say I feel that 'weirdness' as perceived by NTs is pretty much normal for Aspies and others on the Spectrum. To us however most of these things we do for our own valid reasons and they are not truly weird.

As far as getting a diagnosis it depends on different factors. If its something you know you need to find out and you need the professional opinion, then it makes sense to do it. Or if having a diagnosis would likely lead to assistance or programs you would find helpful. For some just being self-diagnosed is enough, when they are sure and having a diagnosis would produce no tangible benefit.

Just to be clear, I do not see weirdness as intrinsically bad. I suppose I am just looking for a label that fits. Something that explains me.

Just to be clear, I do not see weirdness as intrinsically bad. I suppose I am just looking for a label that fits. Something that explains me.

Ah well, if that's all you need you've come to the right place. Here you go and it's on the house:

But I am not sure how useful it is. Except... maybe to zombies. :D

On a more serious note, once you do find out and if it is ASD, I would highly recommend you keep the info very very confidential. Only tell a few very select people (significant other, trusted friend, family members, etc) as necessary and with confidentiality. There might be situations where you would want to tell others (such as boss, co-workers, etc) but that should be very carefully considered before doing. Certain labels, more often then not seem to generate a negative perception/predjudice in people. Aspergers/Autism is I think one of those. And once it gets out, you can not put it back in.

I love the "nutritional facts" Tom. I will have to get that printed on a t-shirt. :tongueclosed:

I also hear you on being confidential. I used to over share in the past about my history and difficulties. I think this lead people to be leery of me. The fact I am transsexual is also something I generally keep to myself outside of the queer community. There are many facets of my life I keep secret from coworkers and colleagues because I am not sure how they will react. Sometimes they seem to sense I am withholding information though, and they get suspicious. I really don't like to lie to people, so I will usually just avoid sensitive issues.

They aren't mutually exclusive. I've speculated that Asperger's is probably the underlying root of a lot of psychological conditions, because the constant reality-testing and anxiety born of being neurodiverse--given that neurodiversity is a minority and not physically obvious--can create a lot of problems. Being transsexual might be a sign of neurodiversity?

They aren't mutually exclusive. I've speculated that Asperger's is probably the underlying root of a lot of psychological conditions, because the constant reality-testing and anxiety born of being neurodiverse--given that neurodiversity is a minority and not physically obvious--can create a lot of problems. Being transsexual might be a sign of neurodiversity?
How do you get aspie score?

Yeah; I took the "Aspie Quiz" a few days ago and received a score of 137/200 for Neurodiverse and 77/200 for Neurotypical. I realize these tests aren't definitive, but they do feel somewhat validating. Then again, to what degree are my answers biased by my own expectations?

Also; as Aspergirl4hire mentioned, perhaps there is a link between Asperger's and gender diversity. The number of people with Asperger's I have met through the Trans community (especially online) seems to be much higher than that of the general population. Still a minority, but significant. What is even more significant is when you look at asexuals, and other group with which I identify. It seems that many asexuals have a lot of trouble identifying with mainstream social norms and/or identify as being on the spectrum. Again, this is merely a significant minority, and an anecdotal observation. It would be interesting to see a formal study on these phenomena.

New Threads

Top Bottom