• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why Am I Doing This?

The Pandector

V.I.P Member
Everything has to have a purpose; everything has to have a reason. I’m just that way, though I could wish I weren’t.

Waaaay back in the 70’s while dating my wife, she commented openly that it seemed I always had a reason for doing the things I did. I wondered how often this woman I loved did things without reason. Like 40 years later, we’re turning into the parking lot of the local grocery store and she asked me why I always had to take the empty parking space closest to the door. Well, to state the obvious, we purchase and maintain vehicles so as to minimize the amount of walking we do. What part did she not understand about the purpose of motor vehicles?

I wouldn’t be on this forum if I didn’t have a purpose in being here. At first, it was entirely about learning about autism from actual autistic people. As I progressed in a book I’ve written, it became mostly about understanding the common aspects of life as an autist. The book is in its fourth rewrite, but I have yet to feel I have captured what it’s like to be ND in an NT world. Meaning, not so as I think an NT would feel it. That’s my purpose, and it sustains me.

After a lifetime of playing around with guitar, I’m sorry I never took it seriously. I’m not under any delusion that I’ll live long enough to become proficient, but my purpose is to get there, so I keep on keeping on. In my 70’s memorizing the fretboard and hand positions; heh. But I have a purpose; I’ve written some music over the years that I’d like to record.

In my life, the book and the guitar/bass/drums are tiny little slits of motivation, like houseplants catching the occasional rays through slit curtains. My only serious interest in life is my faith. Maybe, as many would diagnose, my faith is my ‘special interest’, therefore a product of my autism; maybe if I wasn’t autistic then my faith would occupy a ‘more appropriate’ portion of my attention and passion. Or, maybe God got ahold of me (even in spite of my autism) and hasn’t let go.

Either way, it seems that the ‘decision’ to concentrate on a life of faith is only partly my own. Maybe, like the nearest parking space, I’m just naturally inclined. One thing I do know, that the level of purpose and fulfillment I experience in that regard has sustained me through a very difficult life. Maybe it’s just the autism.

Your autism is a part of you. So is your faith/value system. Even if your faith is your special interest, there's nothing wrong with that.

Faith is all I have too. I've been a big mess since quitting drinking. I have no idea what the future holds. All I can do is trust in God that he will finish what he started in me. You might take comfort in Philippians 1:6.

I hope you can learn to play the guitar the way you are practicing. If you look at who's running our country, being in your 70s is the new 50s it seems...

Your autism is a part of you. So is your faith/value system. Even if your faith is your special interest, there's nothing wrong with that.

Faith is all I have too. I've been a big mess since quitting drinking. I have no idea what the future holds. All I can do is trust in God that he will finish what he started in me. You might take comfort in Philippians 1:6.

I hope you can learn to play the guitar the way you are practicing. If you look at who's running our country, being in your 70s is the new 50s it seems...
Thank you, @jsilver256 . A great and appropriate verse.

Sorry to be abrupt maybe, but i am passionate about this i am about to say. Because i want all Christians or not to know., Christians can understand this things better.

Do you know about being filled with the Holy spirit?, i am seeking to be filled again, this is almost the only thing a human being needs for almost all of life. He protects you emotionally/spiritually and accompanies you, is like he enters your chest area and fills a space that is there, and you could never forget him.

The bible talks a lot i think of what this implies, like 'is better i go, so i can send to you the Holy spirit, he will accompany you forever' He said it was better that having God in the flesh before us.
John 16:7

The bible says some christians believed, and when asked "Did you receive the Holy spirit when you believed?" they said "No, we haven't even heard of the Holy spirit" well, i am pretty sure that even hearing about him, for some reasons a lot of christians don't have this. "then the disciples imposed their hands on them and they were filled with the Holy Spirit" but you don't need to be ministered you could ask, "if people who are bad gives good things to their children, how much more will the father of heaven give the Holy spirit to those who ask".
Acts 19.
Luke 11:13

Last edited:
The New Testament is a minor special interest of mine - not necessarily in the pious way but more in timelines, historical context, dating, early church writings, trying to understand the philosophy, etc. This is what I understand of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is physically within Christians - 1 Corinthians 6

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

The Holy Spirit manifests differently in each person - 1 Corinthians 12

Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.

Many people believe they experience the Holy Spirit solely as an intermittent feeling of peace/warmth. This is not what the New Testament teaches. It teaches that Holy Spirit is always working within. Romans 8

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

The New Testament is a minor special interest of mine - not necessarily in the pious way but more in timelines, historical context, dating, early church writings, trying to understand the philosophy, etc. This is what I understand of the Holy Spirit.

Many people believe they experience the Holy Spirit solely as an intermittent feeling of peace/warmth. This is not what the New Testament teaches. It teaches that Holy Spirit is always working within. Romans 8

Yes, the christians in the new testament were filled with the Holy spirit, but first they needed to ask, or were imposed hands or prayed for that by some other believer,

So, you are interested in the NT, but don't consider yourself a follower of Jesus?

So, you are interested in the NT, but don't consider yourself a follower of Jesus?
I do believe. I just meant, I don't study the NT for enlightenment as much as I probably should, I study it because I'm interested in the historical context and trying to put together timelines. I have little interest in theological debates like free well vs. predestination.

There are a lot of reasons. But the first one that came to mind is that I don't like hot climates.

;)

I do believe. I just meant, I don't study the NT for enlightenment as much as I probably should, I study it because I'm interested in the historical context and trying to put together timelines. I have little interest in theological debates like free well vs. predestination.

I don't like to debate theology either, its just that sometimes what people believe can make a important difference.

Everything has to have a purpose; everything has to have a reason. I’m just that way, though I could wish I weren’t.

Waaaay back in the 70’s while dating my wife, she commented openly that it seemed I always had a reason for doing the things I did.
Same with me. My wife used that as a sort of insult a few times, but when I kept agreeing about that, she stopped saying it. In my mind, everyone does what they do for a reason. Even if the reason is that they are lazy
To do something randomly just seems irresponsible.

Sorry to be abrupt maybe, but i am passionate about this i am about to say. Because i want all Christians or not to know., Christians can understand this things better.

Do you know about being filled with the Holy spirit?, i am seeking to be filled again, this is almost the only thing a human being needs for almost all of life. He protects you emotionally/spiritually and accompanies you, is like he enters your chest area and fills a space that is there, and you could never forget him.

The bible talks a lot i think of what this implies, like 'is better i go, so i can send to you the Holy spirit, he will accompany you forever' He said it was better that having God in the flesh before us.
John 16:7

The bible says some christians believed, and when asked "Did you receive the Holy spirit when you believed?" they said "No, we haven't even heard of the Holy spirit" well, i am pretty sure that even hearing about him, for some reasons a lot of christians don't have this. "then the disciples imposed their hands on them and they were filled with the Holy Spirit" but you don't need to be ministered you could ask, "if people who are bad gives good things to their children, how much more will the father of heaven give the Holy spirit to those who ask".
Acts 19.
Luke 11:13
The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is of great interest to me as well, as it is the very foundation of the body of Christ.

I may have posted this thread in the wrong place, as it is turning very much on the spiritual aspect. In fact, great conversation.

I originally thought to compare the sort of involvement I feel in my faith life with what others consider to be their special interest (as opposed to their other interests). Not to compare in judgmental terms, but to understand the ‘typical’ difference between an autist’s regular and special interests. As I implied, for me, the difference is night and day; the difference between slogging through the mud and skiing down hill. A lot of us seem pretty intense on some of our interests, so I wonder what it’s like for others.

I hear you about the history, too. The Bible wasn’t written in a haphazard manner, and there are endless details big and small to fill out the context of the material. Fascinating.

BTW, I agree with your point about the permanence of the presence, and wonder if confusion is caused by episodes where the Spirit comes upon Christians in an especially powerful way. But, I should move that conversation to another space.

I don't like to debate theology either, its just that sometimes what people believe can make a important difference.
As you point out, the Spirit uses different people in different capacities. Some are cut out/gifted for that task, others aren’t. Be ye not many teachers…

Sorry if i 'hijacked' you thread, i didn't occur to me.. but I don't know how to express it too well, but christians need this, being filled with the HS, in the bible they needed to ask or were prayed for it, is for every christian.

If you notice what happened in the bible, this happened in a instant, several times it says 'and they were filled with the HS' we can have this too. And he stays unless we don't take care of our spiritual life or sin too much.

Waaaay back in the 70’s while dating my wife, she commented openly that it seemed I always had a reason for doing the things I did. I wondered how often this woman I loved did things without reason. Like 40 years later, we’re turning into the parking lot of the local grocery store and she asked me why I always had to take the empty parking space closest to the door. Well, to state the obvious, we purchase and maintain vehicles so as to minimize the amount of walking we do. What part did she not understand about the purpose of motor vehicles?

I wouldn’t be on this forum if I didn’t have a purpose in being here. At first, it was entirely about learning about autism from actual autistic people. As I progressed in a book I’ve written, it became mostly about understanding the common aspects of life as an autist. The book is in its fourth rewrite, but I have yet to feel I have captured what it’s like to be ND in an NT world. Meaning, not so as I think an NT would feel it. That’s my purpose, and it sustains me.

After a lifetime of playing around with guitar, I’m sorry I never took it seriously. I’m not under any delusion that I’ll live long enough to become proficient, but my purpose is to get there, so I keep on keeping on. In my 70’s memorizing the fretboard and hand positions; heh. But I have a purpose; I’ve written some music over the years that I’d like to record.

In my life, the book and the guitar/bass/drums are tiny little slits of motivation, like houseplants catching the occasional rays through slit curtains. My only serious interest in life is my faith. Maybe, as many would diagnose, my faith is my ‘special interest’, therefore a product of my autism; maybe if I wasn’t autistic then my faith would occupy a ‘more appropriate’ portion of my attention and passion. Or, maybe God got ahold of me (even in spite of my autism) and hasn’t let go.

Either way, it seems that the ‘decision’ to concentrate on a life of faith is only partly my own. Maybe, like the nearest parking space, I’m just naturally inclined. One thing I do know, that the level of purpose and fulfillment I experience in that regard has sustained me through a very difficult life. Maybe it’s just the autism.
Same way. There's always a reason. I spend a lot of time thinking about things, risk analysis, if this, then that, and so on. On the flip side, a reason may be that I am just lazy and chose not to do something, but there's a reason. ;)

I think that every human being and animal acts for a "reason" or a goal. Humans, though, have consciousness and language, so we can explain why we act the way we do. It's probably an ADS trait to always think about the "why" in a rational way. Other people will probably answer: "I don't know why I did that, I felt like it." When pressed, though, they will come up with an explanation.

Having said that, though, our brain is also a meaning-making machine. There are some famous experiments with people with brain damage who don't have short term memory. An investigator gives them an item. Five minutes later the person forgets why they have the item, but they always come up with an (wrong) elaborate answer as to why they made a conscious choice. (I'm getting the details wrong, I don't remember the source.)

I may have posted this thread in the wrong place, as it is turning very much on the spiritual aspect. In fact, great conversation.
The moderators moved it to the Religion forum. Sorry if I hijacked it.

I originally thought to compare the sort of involvement I feel in my faith life with what others consider to be their special interest (as opposed to their other interests). Not to compare in judgmental terms, but to understand the ‘typical’ difference between an autist’s regular and special interests. As I implied, for me, the difference is night and day; the difference between slogging through the mud and skiing down hill. A lot of us seem pretty intense on some of our interests, so I wonder what it’s like for others.
To me, a special interest is something I can obsess for hours. I can talk about the NT, early church writings, random facts about Paul, etc. But it is not my number one special interest, which tends to be more tech related. It doesn't mean my faith is less important than tech, it just means I can talk more about tech than I can talk about religion.

My ASD father's special interest is strongly in evangelism and politics. His way of connecting with others is to strongly turn topics towards religion and politics. He will talk about it every meal and try to convert every single service worker that comes in his house. To him, there is no more important thing than faith and government and ergo it has to be on everyone's minds constantly just as it is on his. He genuinely does not have a sense that these topics are inappropriate. I don't want to disparage him, he has used this to convert people. But that would probably be one of the more extreme cases of where special interest intersects with faith.

I don't know if this helps you, just wanted to provide perspectives of how special interest and faith can overlap.

In the general sense there are many things i do, do not have a purpose except that I enjoy it. Many hobbies are like that. Though there may be a strong relaxation/stim motive at work.

Funny you should mention closest parking spot. I am opposite and want spot farthest from other cars, regardless of walk.

I think 'purpuse' is a very big element in Christianity but I think of God himself a bit different. As an analogy, as I am to my dogs, God is to me.

I think that every human being and animal acts for a "reason" or a goal. Humans, though, have consciousness and language, so we can explain why we act the way we do. It's probably an ADS trait to always think about the "why" in a rational way. Other people will probably answer: "I don't know why I did that, I felt like it." When pressed, though, they will come up with an explanation.

Having said that, though, our brain is also a meaning-making machine. There are some famous experiments with people with brain damage who don't have short term memory. An investigator gives them an item. Five minutes later the person forgets why they have the item, but they always come up with an (wrong) elaborate answer as to why they made a conscious choice. (I'm getting the details wrong, I don't remember the source.)
Interesting. This sounds very close to what I was wondering about. I think we may often delude ourselves as to an action being a conscious decision or choice, when in fact we’re operating as a state machine, unfolding a preprogrammed course of action.

Not that we aren’t Able to force a different course of actions, just that we don’t. And certainly not that this is an autistic phenomenon, because it seems to be everywhere.

Sorry if i 'hijacked' you thread, i didn't occur to me.. but I don't know how to express it too well, but christians need this, being filled with the HS, in the bible they needed to ask or were prayed for it, is for every christian.

If you notice what happened in the bible, this happened in an instant, several times it says 'and they were filled with the HS' we can have this too. And he stays unless we don't take care of our spiritual life or sin too much.
Not at all. It’s a great conversation. I had intended to frame the topic with my own examples, but should have seen the direction it would go, having used my own spiritual fervor as a possible example of autistic fervor.

You view the filling of the Spirit as a critical inflection point, and it is all of that. They say every teacher and preacher has a hobby horse, and this was mine to ride. Many people who consider themselves Christians (or testify that they used to be Christians) have no experience of the Spirit living within them, don’t really have a feel for what you’re talking about, like maybe it’s some sort of theoretical construct or an analogy. But Paul made the distinction by saying that, if you do not have the Holy Spirit, you do not belong to God.

I was always quick to go a step further. If you believe these things in the Bible, then you must understand the concept of spiritual gifts. I think it’s a basic responsibility to discover and develop your own spiritual gift/gifts.

I spent twenty years in front of people who wanted help unraveling these things, so I have a real adjustment to make. I suppose we’re safe talking about it here. It does my heart good to witness your intensity on the topic.

New Threads

Top Bottom