• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who else doesn't do selfies?

I guess I don't see it as a "social problem," but then again I've never really cared about such phenomena. Seeing it in the context of today's culture, certainly vanity and narcissism are rampant, and selfies are a natural medium into which to funnel that. The point I was trying to make by linking to the op-ed was not that ALL selfies are inherently valuable, simply that they CAN be if done in the right way. I sure as hell am not comparing that overly-made-up, horribly-dressed young woman's mirror pic to Frida Kahlo! Heh.

I guess I don't see it as a "social problem," but then again I've never really cared about such phenomena. Seeing it in the context of today's culture, certainly vanity and narcissism are rampant, and selfies are a natural medium into which to funnel that. The point I was trying to make by linking to the op-ed was not that ALL selfies are inherently valuable, simply that they CAN be if done in the right way. I sure as hell am not comparing that overly-made-up, horribly-dressed young woman's mirror pic to Frida Kahlo! Heh.

Point taken, considering the potential of much of anything which can to be taken to excess. At some levels it's just a benign social phenomena. At others, a public nuisance.

Ehm...no, I don’t really do selfies. I have done one, for a charity that explicitly requested it, I assume to make their campaign look current as they are an older organisation. So, somewhere out there is a rather awkward selfie of me with a toy panda. It’s not at all flattering, but I wasn’t keen to have more than one go at it.

This would be the place to interject that the worst selfies of all, to my mind, are those taken by film and television figures. Some us must feel we aren’t photographed enough already.

I read about the incident with Federer. I rarely have any sort of security around me, but if I did and needed it, a breach like the one he experienced would be chilling. I am often asked to stand for selfies with fans of my show, but I generally refuse, with very few exceptions, suggesting that we find someone to take a proper photo instead. A selfie requires people to lean in much too close for my liking.

I thought the article wyverary posted was total rubbish, start to finish. It read like the justifications of a terribly self-important person...and that's me being kind. Some trends just can’t be elevated.

I hate selfies. I don't take them and really dislike seeing them. As many have already said it strikes me as terribly unnecessary and narcissistic. I guess It's almost forgivable if you are in your teens, but when it's people in their 20s, 30s and 40s that can't go anywhere, (including a romantic dinner for 2 ) without taking selfies - that's pretty sad.

One context in which I don't mind selfies is when people are trying out new makeup techniques. I find that well done makup can be very interesting to look at and inspirational. It isn't so much about the person saying "look at me" as it is the person saying "look at these pigments on my face." It is also a great way to evaluate your own work and hone your craft the same way a musician or athlete might record themselves for playback.

One context in which I don't mind selfies is when people are trying out new makeup techniques. I find that well done makup can be very interesting to look at and inspirational. It isn't so much about the person saying "look at me" as it is the person saying "look at these pigments on my face." It is also a great way to evaluate your own work and hone your craft the same way a musician or athlete might record themselves for playback.

Point taken. I see that more as a practical use of the technology than as a "selfie".

I hate getting my picture taken,when I smile it's always a sideways one and I just hate how I look in them,so the selfie craze doesn't appeal to me at all.

Agreed, selfies drive me crazy. I just don't get it. Even eye contact with myself in the mirror makes me uncomfortable, let alone having a permanent record of it.

Last edited:
I don't take selfies because my "photograph smile" makes me look like a potential axe murderer, and I don't like having my photo taken in general. As for other people taking selfies... I really don't care *shrug* people can be as narcissistic as they want and clutter up my facebook feed with as many awkward close-ups of their face as they please, it doesn't bother me :emojiconfused:

New Threads

Top Bottom