• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Who else doesn't do selfies?

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
The one that I have for my avatar is not a selfie lol it was taken by my husband and I was not aware of it.

Ok, so now that is out of the way, I can tell you, that I HATE my photo being taken and will do anything, decently possible, to get out of being in a photo and so, when selfies came out, with horror I view them and, well no offense to any one who does selfies on here, but to be honest, I can't help thinking it is a bit egoistic!

What shocks and amuses me, is that it is not just the young lol

I know of one other person who doesn't do selfies and he is an nt. I was surprised actually when I just said: I hate selfies and he pipes up: oh don't go there, me too hate them!!!!

Reminds me of how I've never really liked my picture being taken. Selfies withstanding.

But then I don't even own a cellphone let alone one with a camera.

Nor do I exclusively "advertise" myself in any social media.

I don't take them either! Well.. except profile photos.. because I avoid having my picture taken like the plague so I never have any photos of me :)

I took a trip to Rome last winter and was endlessly amused with the tourists walking around all the monuments waving their iphones around on the end of selfie sticks.

Reminds me of how I've never really liked my picture being taken. Selfies withstanding.

But then I don't even own a cellphone let alone one with a camera.

Nor do I exclusively "advertise" myself in any social media.

It took me YEARS to own a mobile phone (cellphone) and now can't do without them lol but I tell you, when I went to the shop, I was shown so many that is was rather dazzling and in the end I said: I only want a simple phone and was pointed to a nokia and I said, but why does it have a camera? She said: well that is how it is. I had that little simple mobile for about 4 years, when I got fed up of taking photos that I could not even print up or put on a computer and thus, upgraded to the next one, where I could and had that for about 5 years and then, there I was texting someone and thinking I was clever, texting with my rubber kitchen gloves on and oops, down into the bowl of washing up and so, hello third one and that is the one I have now!

Also have a tablet, but can't use the selfie mode; makes me feel sick the thought of it. Have to cope looking at myself in the mirror, so really do not need that blasted selfie mode!!

Yeah, I don't do selfies either. To be honest, it makes me annoyed when you see these 'instagram-celebs' on TV who - at seemingly every opportunity they can - take a selfie.
I agree; it does seem more like people are just giving their egos a boost by constantly taking pictures of themselves, while selfie taking in general seems to be one in a long list of popular yet useless trends. Other such examples include the Harlem Shake, Planking and Twerking.

If I never did selfies... y'all didn't know what I looked like, lol.

I don't do the selfie stuff in the way it's a big hype, nor do I have the urge to take a picture of myself every other day. But every once in a while, like when I post a picture of myself here, I did take it myself, which in turn makes it a selfie.

What's funny is that I take selfies because I somewhat lack people around me to help me out, whereas most people who get into this selfie thing (as in, the hype and the overload of pictures of themselves), probably have enough "friends" to help them out, lol.

I will have to admit that I do take them but just not a picture of myself. I like to take pictures to document life.

I am one of those who hates having my picture taken, so I don't do selfies.

I don't do the selfie stuff in the way it's a big hype, nor do I have the urge to take a picture of myself every other day. But every once in a while, like when I post a picture of myself here, I did take it myself, which in turn makes it a selfie.

What's funny is that I take selfies because I somewhat lack people around me to help me out, whereas most people who get into this selfie thing (as in, the hype and the overload of pictures of themselves), probably have enough "friends" to help them out, lol.
This is the same as me haha. I do so much stuff alone that I never have anyone around to take pics. Which means I take a lot of photos of scenery. And a selfie when I absolutely need a photo of myself haha.

Wow! I get really nasty if anyone insists on taking my picture. I have one for Motor Vehicle and one for my passport and that is it! I thought not allowing anyone to take my picture was a personal quirk, but after reading that so many Aspies don't like to be photographed I think it may actually be an Aspie trait.

Selfies are not in my repertoire either, nor am I very big on taking photos of any sort.

Maybe it is because I am not self centered, maybe it is because the things I value do not coincide with those held by most people (that is a sort of definition of us, isn't it?).

I'm guilty of this but here a difference for me than most of the norm. I do mine for my nature trips as I do all my trips alone. If I don't take the picture of myself, then there will be zero pictures of me for all of my trips.

Besides that, I'm not one of those dam people need to take pictures of my self of every dam thing I'm doing for the whole day.

I'm guilty of this but here a difference for me than most of the norm. I do mine for my nature trips as I do all my trips alone. If I don't take the picture of myself, then there will be zero pictures of me for all of my trips.

Besides that, I'm not one of those dam people need to take pictures of my self of every dam thing I'm doing for the whole day.

That works, William. I get that. I've used a tripod once or twice before in such a manner. Just to show I was there- in the most literal sense. ;)

I only take naked selfies so I can send them to my wife while she's working. Not really. I was always absent for picture day at school. I'm not real sure why I hated it so much.

My recent history of being photographed:

Early 2014: "selfie" taken and posted somewhere on this board.
May 2007: pic taken of me in Chicago, still my pic on Facebook.
September 2002: picture taken of me for work badge.

So, no, I'm not exactly a camera...(fill in an appropriate word here)

True, true and point taken lol I should have made myself clearer. If of course, one is on their own and needs a photo taken, then naturally, selfie comes into play.

And is that you in your photo then?

I also hate having my picture taken because since my teens I've always looked horrible in them. Of course this means I don't do selfies either. I don't even have a phone, though I do have a Kodak point-and-shoot camera.
Though, I recently got a photo ID so I could get a job and the picture is actually not bad. I've been considering taking a picture or two of myself to post on a private board on Pinterest so some of my old friends can see what I look like now.

New Threads

Top Bottom