• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When do we know fear is appropriate? When - and how - can/should it be overcome?

Spiller

Just.. WEIRD!
I had.. an episode, a really big one, two years ago, that forced me to abandon my own business and stop working.. since then I've subsisted on state benefit whilst suffering low executive function (could barely look after myself at all) for three months, gradually regained enough cognitive function to start researching my.. situation, eventually self-diagnosed Aspergers and comorbids and taught myself coping strategies.

Currently I'm attempting, again (in the new light of AS), to form friendships and a relationship and get back to work.

I've managed to make two friends and recently do two hours work per week - not much, but a start.. small, cautious steps as I still don't know what happened to me before and I really don't want it to happen again.

My friendships make me anxious but are, at the same time, satisfying - friends seem to have certain expectations of your time, even when I make it clear that my social time is limited, but I'm keeping up..

The relationship.. isn't as such, though I don't know why, time will tell I guess.. but I'm anxious, I fret, don't know what's happening or how to move forward and that's hard on me.

Work.. terrifies me - I've taken on one old client part time - one of my two friends - and can force myself through this fear and do the work. I mostly enjoy it then, but terror lurks just beneath the surface..

I'm not afraid of spiders or buttons or clowns - my only known (semi) irrational fear is of heights (odd really, as it's only the last bit of lows that can be nasty).. and, newly, work it seems.. or is it people?

Why?

Do you have experience of being unable to cope with overwhelming anxiety or fear and don't know why?

If you don't know why, how do you cope with it?

If you've found a solution, what is it, how did you arrive at it and how are you finding it?

I'd like to know what your experience is and what you think..

Last edited:
I've thought some of my anxiety issues I had here and there were irrational in the past. I've thought quite a bit about them and thought if I could justify the issues I had with them.

Then I ended up with a therapist, talked about it and she actually told me that, from everything I had going on and what happened to me, anxiety was actually the fairest response to these causes as some would've coped way, way more extreme. It's when irrational anxiety for things actually becomes confirmed rational anxiety, which in turn even by professionals gets projected upon the causes and isn't a figment of my imagination. In short; getting anxiety from a piling up of bad experiences is quite justified.

Thanks King..

The anxiety itself - like chronic pain, maybe, you can learn to accept as just greater-than-average background radiation.. it's when it affects your choices and, from there, your life - it's inhibiting.. disabling.
Imagining climbing a ladder and freezing 3" off the ground - you literally can't go higher.
Imagine picking up the tools of your 25 year trade, feeling gut wrenching terror..

I agree anxiety is a natural and therefore rational response, but what is it - and how is it overcome - when it becomes your disability?

I have had at least three anxiety breakdowns in my life. They were life altering events, so I have things to say about it, but will have to return later.

Peace to you.

I've recently had a flare up of really pesky anxiety. Part of it, anyway. I'm not jittery like with the anxiety I'm used to, but my stomach will be all up in knots like I'm worried about something. And all I'm doing is playing a Solitaire card game or something else simple like that! But I'm pretty certain I know what imbalance is causing this frustrating bit of irrational anxiety and I have an appointment next week to get it seen about. If all goes well, it and a few other nuisances will be going away soon.

Any other bit of anxiety I've had I usually argue with and try to push through. Or fidget ta heck and back with a keychain or something in my hand until it goes away. It'd be nice to be a Vulcan and just shut them out. I don't mind being a bit anxious around things with big teeth, anxiety and fear have a purpose in life and I respect it's input when it's being rational.

Spiller, here's a (((Hug))). :rose: Anxiety can get the best of me, too. May you find just what helps ease things for you, my friend.

Simply put: Meds. Worked for me at least. Irrational fear didn't respond well to rational thinking only. Needed something to stop the train of anxiety/fear at the source - something going on (malfunctioning) in the brain.

Do you have experience of being unable to cope with overwhelming anxiety or fear and don't know why?

Yes, I have felt fear ... but I also believe in the truth of something that Mark Twain once said. "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear." ~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar, 1894

I was bullied a lot as a kid. My father made me wear leg braces as a toddler because he said I was clumsy and that I was "pigeon footed" when I stood. The braces were used to straighten my feet. I do not understand how they were supposed to have helped with my clumsiness.

Since I wore the leg braces during the important transition period between learning how to walk and learning how to run, I missed a milestone in my physical development ... and when the leg braces finally came off, there was no physical therapy to show me how to run.

I did not learn how to run until I was ten ... so as you might expect, the other kids shunned me and only reluctantly chose me for their teams during P.E. because I was the last kid left.

I was a nerdy kid with awkward social skills ... an easy target for bullies who would take my lunch money, tear up my homework, shove my head into a urinal, and make fun of me in the hallways. Believe it or not, all of these experiences occurred in private schools abroad. My father was a doctor as well as an officer in the U.S. Public Health Service, so I grew up in Ghana, Thailand, and El Salvador.

I didn't attend a public high school until I was in the 11th grade. My father had just been transferred from El Salvador back to the U.S. and he had been posted to Atlanta, Georgia. It was 1977, just 14 years since that state had repealed the last of its Jim Crow laws. For those of you not familiar with the old South, the Jim Crow laws were a southern response to the emancipation of slaves during the U.S. Civil War. The laws provided for "separate but equal" facilities ... so that "colored" people had their own stores and neighborhoods and schools while the white folk had their stores and neighborhoods and schools.

Although desegregation had become the law of the land, the south was still segregated in '77. The Jim Crow laws had created neighborhoods for "colored" people and neighborhoods for white people - so when desegregation was finally adopted, school zones reflected the division of neighborhoods by ethnic lines. Inner city Atlanta was where most of the minorities lived while affluent whites lived in the suburbs.

My father bought a home from a "block buster," a realtor who sold a home in a white neighborhood to my parents at an inflated price.

The death threats came soon after. People with a distinctive southern drawl would call and tell us to go back to China. Unkind things were painted on our garage door. It was a stressful time made worse by the fact that I had to attend what had been an almost all white school.

I was one of two minorities at this school.

The kids in my junior class told me that I was okay for a chink because I talked white. The only other minority was an African American. The kids said he was okay for a n---- because he was on the football team.

Public high school was a miserable experience. As bad as the bullying was in the private schools, it was worse in the public schools. One bully in particular was a football player who amused himself by tormenting me. During P.E. he threw my clothes in the shower, forcing me to return to class wearing gym clothes to the amusement of the girls who promptly wolf whistled at me. I was so embarrassed that I asked my teacher if I could change and I wore soggy wet clothing for the rest of the day.

The bully was a large guy who was quite strong. He enjoyed grabbing me, lifting me off my feet, and slamming me into a wall. While his cronies laughed, he'd slap me - demanding that I "ching-chong-chow" for him and speak Chinese. Since I am a 3rd generation U.S. citizen who was not raised in a Chinese community (not even Chinese American), I didn't speak Chinese at all ... but this didn't stop the bully from beating me up for not speaking "ching chong" to him like a trained parrot.

My life became a nightmare. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't eat. The mere thought of having to go to school next day caused me to wet myself on more than one occasion.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to tell my parents because I had learned early on that my parents were rather intolerant of me. When I was young they used to slap me for spinning or flapping or violently shaking my head - so the lesson I learned at an early age was to not make a scene and not to attract attention to myself at home.

One day while I was moping around the house, I found myself in the basement and in an unmarked cardboard box hidden behind a pile of junk that my mother couldn't bring herself to throw away, I found a 22 caliber pistol made by Savage Firearms.

Without really thinking about what I was doing, I took the pistol to school the next day. When the bully spotted me, I ran for the bathroom knowing that he would follow me. I was waiting for him when he barged into the boys' room. I had the pistol in my hand pointed at him and he skidded to a stop when he saw it.

I could have pulled the trigger. Part of me WANTED to pull the trigger. A dark part of me whispered that I could kill the bully and then go after everyone at the school who had ever laughed at me or called me a goddamned chink or who had condescendingly assured me that someday, the South would RISE AGAIN!

Twenty two years before the slaughter at Columbine, I could have killed this bully ... but I chose not to. The bully gaped at me. His mouth opened and closed like a fish gasping for air. I reveled in the power of having a weapon ... of having this bully's life in my hand. I walked up to him and viciously kicked him in the family jewels and after he was on the floor, I kicked him a couple of times more because I really wanted to kill him and I was pretty certain that I was going to get in trouble for this anyway.

And sure enough, a crony had called for a teacher and my favorite teacher at the school, a sociology instructor stepped into the boys' bathroom, put out her hand, and demanded that I give her the weapon. I gave her the weapon and meekly followed her to the principal's office.

There was a crowd of students in the hallway and they quietly parted to let us past. For the first time that school year, no one called me a chink or a chinaman. No one told me to go back to China. The students seemed to know that something vicious and ugly had happened in that bathroom.

Surprisingly enough, I was not arrested. I was not even expelled. It turned out that the school administration had known about some of the problems I had faced but they hadn't known the extent of the bullying. I should at least have received a suspension but nothing happened. They even returned the weapon to me after removing the bullets because I told them that my father would be really upset if he found his weapon missing.

To this day, I do not understand why the building administration didn't really do anything about what had happened other than to sweep the events under the rug.

The bully and his cronies left me alone after that. EVERYONE left me alone. I finished my junior year and since I had so many credits from the private schools I had attended, I took senior English over the summer and graduated before the 1977-1978 school year had even begun. I did not attend graduation and after leaving Georgia to attend college, I never returned to that state.

The fear I had faced and overcome (despite the dangerous and unconventional means) was the first step I took towards learning how to deal with fear in general. Mark Twain was right. Courage is not the absence of fear ... it's the ability to act DESPITE your fear.

I was an elementary teacher in Saudi Arabia during the First Gulf War. I was there during Operation Desert Shield while allied forces were assembled on the Saudi border with Kuwait. I was also there during Operation Desert Storm when these very same forces were unleashed against the Iraqis who had occupied Kuwait.

In retaliation for these attacks, the Iraqis launched scud missiles at Dhahran. Dhahran was the corporate headquarters of the Saudi Aramco Oil Company. A huge allied airbase had been built just outside Dhahran and an even larger supply depot had also been built. Given the inefficiency of the Iraqi scud missiles, choosing Dhahran as a target was probably a no-brainer for the the Iraqi military. After all, if they fired enough missiles at us, they were bound to hit something, right?

And so at intermittent periods throughout the early days of Desert Storm, the civil defense sirens would wail and we'd grab our company issued poison gas masks and run for shelter. As a third grade teacher, I hated the scud missile alerts because my kids were terrified. Corporate policy said we had to duck and cover under our desks but in the silence that followed the wail of the missile alerts, some of the kids would always cry ... so I'd pull out a dog eared copy of John Erickson's Hank the Cowdog book and I'd wander up and down the rows between desks reading this book while we waited for the all clear siren.

Unwilling to give into my fear of Iraqi scud missiles, I stopped ducking into my "shelter" in the closet under the stairs leading to my bedroom Instead of cowering in a shelter, I opened the bedroom window, climbed onto the window and looked to see if I could spot the in-coming missiles.

In retrospect I wished I had thought to take a camera. Dhahran was ringed by Patriot missile batteries and on one occasion I saw the fiery trail of a Patriot rising into the air where it hit a distant scud missile.

After the war ended and things began to settle down in Saudi Arabia, I made another conscious effort to face my fears by buying a car. The Saudis allowed expats to drive in their country provided they had a driver's license (from their birth country) and were not women. It was (and remains) illegal for women to drive in Saudi Arabia.

Driving was challenging because the Saudis consider traffic regulations to be optional.

Case in point ... you're coming to a 4 way stop. What do you do? In most countries you'd stop and when it was your turn to go, you'd go. The Saudis have a different spin on this that works like this. Whoever has the larger vehicle and more momentum has the right of way.

The first time I ever came to a 4 way stop, I stopped and because I had no momentum I was there for nearly 30 minutes before the traffic eased up enough for me to go. After that, I learned to gauge the traffic. Since I drove a Jeep Cherokee, I'd only brake for buses, trucks, and Suburbans. It was really quite amusing to host new hires who were fresh from the states. Many of them gulped in terror when I ran a 4 way stop blaring my horn while casually talking as though nothing unusual was happening ... because the reality was that nothing unusual WAS happening. We were after all in Saudi Arabia and U.S. cultural norms (and traffic laws) did not apply.

A few years after returning stateside, I decided to join a volunteer fire department so that I could face my fear of fire. I learned how to don bunker gear and how to wear an oxygen mask and airpack. The fire department taught me how to be an assistant nozzleman (the guy bracing the guy with the nozzle to the hose). I learned how to participate in smoke filled search and clear operations and how to fight a fire. While civilians evacuated burning buildings in rightful terror, I learned how to advance into a burning building with my team to hit that fire before flashover occurred ... a dangerous period in which the interior heat was so intense that walls and furnishings could simply ignite.

Since I had a fear of heights, I once volunteered to climb onto the roof of a burning building to ventilate the roof with an ax. In retrospect this was not a very bright move because it was winter and the roof was slippery with ice. To further combat my fear of heights, I once went bungee jumping off a bridge at the foot of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. That was not a pleasant experience and having made the mistake of jumping just after lunch, I gifted the rocks below with a partially digested meal of ostrich stroganoff. The good news was that since I was hanging upside down, there wasn't any back splatter on my clothing. The bad news is that I probably reeked when they pulled me up.

I still have other fears. I don't like clowns because their painted facial expressions are a grotesque distortion of real life. I'm not sure of what I could do to get over this unreasoning fear. I'm sane enough to realize that shooting a clown would not be a legal option ... not that I own a firearm because I don't.

I also hate tarantulas. When I was six years old, I once woke up in Thailand to find a tarantula slowly crawling up the bed sheets towards my face. I screamed for help and when my father came rushing in, he rather callously stood there laughing at me and telling me to "man up" and stop acting like a girl. He waited until the creepy crawler was within INCHES of my face before plucking it off.

I doubt if I will ever conquer all of my fears ... but it's enough for me that I've looked most of them in the face and have metaphorically spit in fear's eye.

The key thing in overcoming fear is to do something. Anything. To submit to fear is to surrender your autonomy and to give up what is allegedly God's greatest gift to us ... free will.

Sorry for the long post. The hour draws late in Nevada and I must be off to bed.

Be well!

David

P.S. Pictured below is a picture of yours truly from 1991. It was "Middle Eastern Day" and 3rd grade teachers and students dressed in Arabic clothing to celebrate our study of Saudi culture. It was pretty interesting. The company put up a Bedouin tent for each class and catered a variety of Arabic food ... chicken schwarmas, falafel, hummus with pita bread, and baklava.

It's hard to believe that I was ever so young or skinny. (sigh)

Attachments

• David.Arab.jpg
    David.Arab.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
I've dealt with high levels of anxiety since I was 12 or 13, maybe earlier, but that is when I knew that it was something and that most people didn't feel that way as much.

Most of the time, I was just able to get through hours, days, weeks. I exercised obsessively, physically wearing myself out so that the physical weariness would overcome the mental overload. When I would eventually lose my grip, I would shut down. I was always somehow able to do the basics, get to work, pay my bills, but my off time found me sitting in a quiet dark room.

An event like this happened in my second year of college, a small somewhat selective private school. I was too scared to ask for help, couldn't talk to my professors, I couldn't show that side of me to the few people that I knew. What would I say? I was eventually "asked to leave". This was the first time my anxiety caused a big unwanted thing to happen. Most of the time, it simply kept me from doing things; keeping me out of trouble, at least.

Looking back, I see that I learned next to nothing about myself that would cause positive change through this or other similar events. Things that caused me extreme anxiety could be waited out, eventually they would go away and I would return to my normal levels of anxiety which I could deal with.

Until I couldn't.

A few years ago, things got so bad that I had a boneheaded accident at work, caused from my general sense of panic at that time and the lack of concentration it caused. I was disabled for a couple of months. It started a long and meandering road towards accurate diagnosis, helpful therapy and eventually an effective medication. I can almost say that at times I JUST DON"T CARE, and mean it. If it isn't directly effecting me, and likely won't in the near future, I might be concerned, but I'm not worrying and tense about it. It is a wonderful, strange feeling. I'm sleeping well, something that has eluded me for decades.

I resisted long and hard against medications, I had controlled my anxiety for a period of time with devoted meditation practice, but I no longer had the time to devote. Eventually my practice withered and my anxiety came back with a fervor, along with a clear understanding that something really was wrong and I needed help. I have two medications I take, which have had no side effects, apart from occasional slow pace, sluggishness. Fine by me, but a bit aggravating to my SO.

I tried attacking my fears and anxieties head on, confronting them with half assed attempts and weak resolve that would fold up when things got a little difficult. Now I can maintain a more sustained effort with far less emotional interference.

I hope you are able to find relief and success.

I've felt that level anxiety for a few weeks now. One of the reasons I haven't been online much lately. I shut down hard. Just sweating things out until the middle of next week. Where upon things may well end in either hope and prosperity or financial disaster. I feel like my whole life is hanging in the balance...over powers beyond well my control.

I've always taken responsibility for the risks I take...but at times it can be overwhelming.

I'd like to add that for me at least, my ability to act in spite of my fears, while a long way from what I'd consider courage, did allow me to act. Clumsily, inappropriately, ineffectively maybe, but it was action. There was no confronting anything, though, and when I would try seemed to only make things worse.

There are some areas in which my abilities, experience, and desire completely erases anxiety and I have been able to do things that few people would be comfortable doing. These experiences, and the reduction in overall anxiety they brought about would not transfer over to other more necessary endeavors.

I have an appointment next week to get it seen about. If all goes well, it and a few other nuisances will be going away soon.

Interested in how those nuisances will be going away Ashe..

Sometimes I've found Spiller that my body/mind throws out defensive ideas/thoughts/perceptions in order to destroy or eradicate something I've continually disliked doing since I was a child.

Situations like being pushed into playing a team sport, or talking to particularly aggressive salesperson or pretending to enjoy the company of someone I dislike. Usually I simply fade out and or become angry/hostile or ill. Have had actual psychosomatic illnesses where I break out in rashes, and have difficulty breathing, or I curl into a ball and become semi-comatose when I know I might have to do certain things, or see people that I don't like.

Understand that you would like to move back into your working life, but ask yourself if this is the cause of the episodes. Is it the job itself? People do fall into things, and don't really like doing them but feel they have to because its what they know. One of the things I've always wanted was to find that place, thing, understanding, that moved me so that nothing else really matters and one of those things for me is art and painting, something that's been put aside until recently, for several years.

I think Spiller only you can answer that question that you ask of yourself, no one else can, we can only proffer ideas without really knowing, ultimately the answer rests with you.

I don't believe I've suffered psychosomatic illnesses (as far as I know) but I've realised I tell myself convincing stories to justify avoiding anxiety inducing situations, including times when I just consider that I might feel anxious.
For so many years these insidious stories seemed justified - I thought I was acting in my own best interests but I was only making matters worse.

I quite enjoy my job, many of my clients are pleasant and the money's good.
I realise now that I worked in a self-imposed isolation from my colleagues which made me very anxious as that interaction is important in my trade, I just didn't understand it before.

I also worked long hours for twenty years, trying to accrue savings and have some funds for hobbies, holidays, the fun things in life that make work worth turning up for - I was, unfortunately, the victim of an emotionally abusive BPD partner with a spending addiction and so never got to enjoy the good side of life till she kicked me out of my house in favour of her latest bf.
I felt like I'd been released from a 20 year prison sentence!

I think that last, alone, is a huge thing - I'm still trying to work through the personal ramifications of anxiety, negative reinforcement (I mentioned my ideas on this in your thread here) and the basic fact of long-term abuse.

So I'm hoping that, if I'm working through enough of my issues (self-councelling isn't easy) and I can change my thinking processes/strategies.. and find a way to enjoy the money I earn (I've never spent money on something I wanted before, not sure yet what I'd do with it), going back to work won't be the problem my anxiety tells me it will.

There's only one way to find out!

Last edited:
Yes, I have felt fear ... but I also believe in the truth of something that Mark Twain once said. "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear." ~Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar, 1894

I was bullied a lot as a kid. My father made me wear leg braces as a toddler because he said I was clumsy and that I was "pigeon footed" when I stood. The braces were used to straighten my feet. I do not understand how they were supposed to have helped with my clumsiness.

Since I wore the leg braces during the important transition period between learning how to walk and learning how to run, I missed a milestone in my physical development ... and when the leg braces finally came off, there was no physical therapy to show me how to run.

I did not learn how to run until I was ten ... so as you might expect, the other kids shunned me and only reluctantly chose me for their teams during P.E. because I was the last kid left.

I was a nerdy kid with awkward social skills ... an easy target for bullies who would take my lunch money, tear up my homework, shove my head into a urinal, and make fun of me in the hallways. Believe it or not, all of these experiences occurred in private schools abroad. My father was a doctor as well as an officer in the U.S. Public Health Service, so I grew up in Ghana, Thailand, and El Salvador.

I didn't attend a public high school until I was in the 11th grade. My father had just been transferred from El Salvador back to the U.S. and he had been posted to Atlanta, Georgia. It was 1977, just 14 years since that state had repealed the last of its Jim Crow laws. For those of you not familiar with the old South, the Jim Crow laws were a southern response to the emancipation of slaves during the U.S. Civil War. The laws provided for "separate but equal" facilities ... so that "colored" people had their own stores and neighborhoods and schools while the white folk had their stores and neighborhoods and schools.

Although desegregation had become the law of the land, the south was still segregated in '77. The Jim Crow laws had created neighborhoods for "colored" people and neighborhoods for white people - so when desegregation was finally adopted, school zones reflected the division of neighborhoods by ethnic lines. Inner city Atlanta was where most of the minorities lived while affluent whites lived in the suburbs.

My father bought a home from a "block buster," a realtor who sold a home in a white neighborhood to my parents at an inflated price.

The death threats came soon after. People with a distinctive southern drawl would call and tell us to go back to China. Unkind things were painted on our garage door. It was a stressful time made worse by the fact that I had to attend what had been an almost all white school.

I was one of two minorities at this school.

The kids in my junior class told me that I was okay for a chink because I talked white. The only other minority was an African American. The kids said he was okay for a n---- because he was on the football team.

Public high school was a miserable experience. As bad as the bullying was in the private schools, it was worse in the public schools. One bully in particular was a football player who amused himself by tormenting me. During P.E. he threw my clothes in the shower, forcing me to return to class wearing gym clothes to the amusement of the girls who promptly wolf whistled at me. I was so embarrassed that I asked my teacher if I could change and I wore soggy wet clothing for the rest of the day.

The bully was a large guy who was quite strong. He enjoyed grabbing me, lifting me off my feet, and slamming me into a wall. While his cronies laughed, he'd slap me - demanding that I "ching-chong-chow" for him and speak Chinese. Since I am a 3rd generation U.S. citizen who was not raised in a Chinese community (not even Chinese American), I didn't speak Chinese at all ... but this didn't stop the bully from beating me up for not speaking "ching chong" to him like a trained parrot.

My life became a nightmare. I couldn't sleep. I couldn't eat. The mere thought of having to go to school next day caused me to wet myself on more than one occasion.

I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to tell my parents because I had learned early on that my parents were rather intolerant of me. When I was young they used to slap me for spinning or flapping or violently shaking my head - so the lesson I learned at an early age was to not make a scene and not to attract attention to myself at home.

One day while I was moping around the house, I found myself in the basement and in an unmarked cardboard box hidden behind a pile of junk that my mother couldn't bring herself to throw away, I found a 22 caliber pistol made by Savage Firearms.

Without really thinking about what I was doing, I took the pistol to school the next day. When the bully spotted me, I ran for the bathroom knowing that he would follow me. I was waiting for him when he barged into the boys' room. I had the pistol in my hand pointed at him and he skidded to a stop when he saw it.

I could have pulled the trigger. Part of me WANTED to pull the trigger. A dark part of me whispered that I could kill the bully and then go after everyone at the school who had ever laughed at me or called me a goddamned chink or who had condescendingly assured me that someday, the South would RISE AGAIN!

Twenty two years before the slaughter at Columbine, I could have killed this bully ... but I chose not to. The bully gaped at me. His mouth opened and closed like a fish gasping for air. I reveled in the power of having a weapon ... of having this bully's life in my hand. I walked up to him and viciously kicked him in the family jewels and after he was on the floor, I kicked him a couple of times more because I really wanted to kill him and I was pretty certain that I was going to get in trouble for this anyway.

And sure enough, a crony had called for a teacher and my favorite teacher at the school, a sociology instructor stepped into the boys' bathroom, put out her hand, and demanded that I give her the weapon. I gave her the weapon and meekly followed her to the principal's office.

There was a crowd of students in the hallway and they quietly parted to let us past. For the first time that school year, no one called me a chink or a chinaman. No one told me to go back to China. The students seemed to know that something vicious and ugly had happened in that bathroom.

Surprisingly enough, I was not arrested. I was not even expelled. It turned out that the school administration had known about some of the problems I had faced but they hadn't known the extent of the bullying. I should at least have received a suspension but nothing happened. They even returned the weapon to me after removing the bullets because I told them that my father would be really upset if he found his weapon missing.

To this day, I do not understand why the building administration didn't really do anything about what had happened other than to sweep the events under the rug.

The bully and his cronies left me alone after that. EVERYONE left me alone. I finished my junior year and since I had so many credits from the private schools I had attended, I took senior English over the summer and graduated before the 1977-1978 school year had even begun. I did not attend graduation and after leaving Georgia to attend college, I never returned to that state.

The fear I had faced and overcome (despite the dangerous and unconventional means) was the first step I took towards learning how to deal with fear in general. Mark Twain was right. Courage is not the absence of fear ... it's the ability to act DESPITE your fear.

I was an elementary teacher in Saudi Arabia during the First Gulf War. I was there during Operation Desert Shield while allied forces were assembled on the Saudi border with Kuwait. I was also there during Operation Desert Storm when these very same forces were unleashed against the Iraqis who had occupied Kuwait.

In retaliation for these attacks, the Iraqis launched scud missiles at Dhahran. Dhahran was the corporate headquarters of the Saudi Aramco Oil Company. A huge allied airbase had been built just outside Dhahran and an even larger supply depot had also been built. Given the inefficiency of the Iraqi scud missiles, choosing Dhahran as a target was probably a no-brainer for the the Iraqi military. After all, if they fired enough missiles at us, they were bound to hit something, right?

And so at intermittent periods throughout the early days of Desert Storm, the civil defense sirens would wail and we'd grab our company issued poison gas masks and run for shelter. As a third grade teacher, I hated the scud missile alerts because my kids were terrified. Corporate policy said we had to duck and cover under our desks but in the silence that followed the wail of the missile alerts, some of the kids would always cry ... so I'd pull out a dog eared copy of John Erickson's Hank the Cowdog book and I'd wander up and down the rows between desks reading this book while we waited for the all clear siren.

Unwilling to give into my fear of Iraqi scud missiles, I stopped ducking into my "shelter" in the closet under the stairs leading to my bedroom Instead of cowering in a shelter, I opened the bedroom window, climbed onto the window and looked to see if I could spot the in-coming missiles.

In retrospect I wished I had thought to take a camera. Dhahran was ringed by Patriot missile batteries and on one occasion I saw the fiery trail of a Patriot rising into the air where it hit a distant scud missile.

After the war ended and things began to settle down in Saudi Arabia, I made another conscious effort to face my fears by buying a car. The Saudis allowed expats to drive in their country provided they had a driver's license (from their birth country) and were not women. It was (and remains) illegal for women to drive in Saudi Arabia.

Driving was challenging because the Saudis consider traffic regulations to be optional.

Case in point ... you're coming to a 4 way stop. What do you do? In most countries you'd stop and when it was your turn to go, you'd go. The Saudis have a different spin on this that works like this. Whoever has the larger vehicle and more momentum has the right of way.

The first time I ever came to a 4 way stop, I stopped and because I had no momentum I was there for nearly 30 minutes before the traffic eased up enough for me to go. After that, I learned to gauge the traffic. Since I drove a Jeep Cherokee, I'd only brake for buses, trucks, and Suburbans. It was really quite amusing to host new hires who were fresh from the states. Many of them gulped in terror when I ran a 4 way stop blaring my horn while casually talking as though nothing unusual was happening ... because the reality was that nothing unusual WAS happening. We were after all in Saudi Arabia and U.S. cultural norms (and traffic laws) did not apply.

A few years after returning stateside, I decided to join a volunteer fire department so that I could face my fear of fire. I learned how to don bunker gear and how to wear an oxygen mask and airpack. The fire department taught me how to be an assistant nozzleman (the guy bracing the guy with the nozzle to the hose). I learned how to participate in smoke filled search and clear operations and how to fight a fire. While civilians evacuated burning buildings in rightful terror, I learned how to advance into a burning building with my team to hit that fire before flashover occurred ... a dangerous period in which the interior heat was so intense that walls and furnishings could simply ignite.

Since I had a fear of heights, I once volunteered to climb onto the roof of a burning building to ventilate the roof with an ax. In retrospect this was not a very bright move because it was winter and the roof was slippery with ice. To further combat my fear of heights, I once went bungee jumping off a bridge at the foot of Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. That was not a pleasant experience and having made the mistake of jumping just after lunch, I gifted the rocks below with a partially digested meal of ostrich stroganoff. The good news was that since I was hanging upside down, there wasn't any back splatter on my clothing. The bad news is that I probably reeked when they pulled me up.

I still have other fears. I don't like clowns because their painted facial expressions are a grotesque distortion of real life. I'm not sure of what I could do to get over this unreasoning fear. I'm sane enough to realize that shooting a clown would not be a legal option ... not that I own a firearm because I don't.

I also hate tarantulas. When I was six years old, I once woke up in Thailand to find a tarantula slowly crawling up the bed sheets towards my face. I screamed for help and when my father came rushing in, he rather callously stood there laughing at me and telling me to "man up" and stop acting like a girl. He waited until the creepy crawler was within INCHES of my face before plucking it off.

I doubt if I will ever conquer all of my fears ... but it's enough for me that I've looked most of them in the face and have metaphorically spit in fear's eye.

The key thing in overcoming fear is to do something. Anything. To submit to fear is to surrender your autonomy and to give up what is allegedly God's greatest gift to us ... free will.

Sorry for the long post. The hour draws late in Nevada and I must be off to bed.

Be well!

David

P.S. Pictured below is a picture of yours truly from 1991. It was "Middle Eastern Day" and 3rd grade teachers and students dressed in Arabic clothing to celebrate our study of Saudi culture. It was pretty interesting. The company put up a Bedouin tent for each class and catered a variety of Arabic food ... chicken schwarmas, falafel, hummus with pita bread, and baklava.

It's hard to believe that I was ever so young or skinny. (sigh)

DC1346, thank you for your story, I found your experiences both profoundly sad and inspiring - I too was bullied throughout school, though mostly just ostracised.. college wasn't so bad, but my first years of work were a repeat of school - some people just never leave that crap behind them.
Similarly, you seem not to have gotten a break even at home - I was emotionally abused under the guise of parental and marital love.. didn't recognise that until recently though and I'm still sorting through the impact it had on me.

Interesting that your experiences seem to have led you to exel in your chosen field, that you learned to face your fears early on and succeeded.

"Courage is not the absence of fear ... it's the ability to act DESPITE your fear."

This I completely agree with, also that it's easy to be bold when you're not afraid of a thing.

Similarly, you seem not to have gotten a break even at home - I was emotionally abused under the guise of parental and marital love.. didn't recognise that until recently though and I'm still sorting through the impact it had on me.

Interesting that your experiences seem to have led you to exel in your chosen field, that you learned to face your fears early on and succeeded.

I must admit that I sometimes wonder how my personality might have developed if my parents had been less cold and hostile. What would I have been like if they been loving and supportive?

I suspect but will never know for certain, that my reclusive tendencies were aggravated by my parents. Given the way I was raised, I learned as a child to keep a low profile because calling attention to myself could have resulted in slaps from my mother or a belting from my father. I also wonder if my distrust of women, though rationalized as a concern for the loss of privacy that might have occurred as a result of developing a close relationship, actually evolved as a result of being terrified of my mother.

I cannot speak for others, but my way of dealing with NTs has been to develop personas that I adopt when I'm out and about in the world. I have for example developed the facade of a gruff but caring chef instructor for use when I'm on the job ... but this is the face I have chosen to present to the world. It is not who I am or who I think I am.

I actually don't know who I am because outside of work related activities, I don't have a very well developed sense of self.

I can be a consummate chef instructor... I can be a first responder ... I can run a disaster relief shelter ... but I don't know how to be myself.

Years ago whilst attending graduate school, a friend who was a doctoral candidate in psychology asked me to go to a cocktail that was being hosted by his supervising professor. He said that I could be his plus one. Since I was under the impression that a plus one was a date, I immediately sought clarification of his intentions since I was not gay. My friend gave me an odd look and told me that he wasn't gay either. He said the reason he had asked me to go to this cocktail was because he didn't really know anyone.

I thought about his request. Since the nature of friendship seems to rely upon a quid pro quo arrangement, I reluctantly agreed to go. As it turned out, Alan was wrong. He knew several people who were attending the party and subsequently abandoned me. Since I didn't know anyone (other than Alan), I pretended to be fascinated by the meager display of appetizers .... deviled eggs from H.E.B. (a local supermarket), celery sticks topped with a rather uninspired tuna fish salad, meatballs congealing in a greasy marinara sauce etc.

In time, Alan popped over to ask why I wasn't socializing. When I told him that I didn't know anyone and had no common interests because everyone at this function was from the psychology department while I was in education (Curriculum and Instruction), Alan advised me to just "be myself."

I stared at him. "Really?"

He slapped me on the shoulder in what I imagine was a brotherly fashion. "Really!"

I subsequently left the party and got a call sometime later from Alan who seemed annoyed that I had left because now he didn't have a ride home.

"Why did you leave?" he asked.

I reminded him that he had told me to be myself ... and literal person that I was had left because the person I am is the sort of person who doesn't enjoy attending cocktail parties that are attended by people he doesn't know.

Sadly, although I have been able to develop various personas, I do not have a persona for yours truly.

On the brighter side, adopting personas to wear as a face to the world seems to work provided I have time to quietly decompress from the stress of having had to be out and about.

I also wonder if my distrust of women, though rationalized as a concern for the loss of privacy that might have occurred as a result of developing a close relationship, actually evolved as a result of being terrified of my mother.

Hmm, I wonder if my feelings of inadequacy stem from my mother.. then my wife.. constantly making me feel worthless.
My mother often said she wished she'd never had kids - I realised recently that I took that personally as that I had no worth, I wasn't wanted.
I've carried that through all the years and it's undoubtedly had an impact on my choice of partner and how I allow them to treat me.

I actually don't know who I am because outside of work related activities, I don't have a very well developed sense of self.

I'm ok when I'm by myself, but I can't imagine who I am in a group without the mask I've developed for that situation.

If I imagine someone here with me now.. what would we talk about, what would we do?
I always hoped it was just a matter of practice as I've never had the opportunity to try being me around someone I can trust to fully relax with.

Oddly, recently I started a course of acupuncture and something about the openness of the practitioner makes him unusually approachable and I find myself blurting out all sorts of stuff while I'm lying on that bed.. never had that experience before - even when I've talked to therapists it's an effort, I talk because I have to..

Maybe that means there's hope..

Hi spiller. This is exactly what happened to me. I gave up working for autoglass in much the same situation as your own. Petrified, confused, deep sinking feeling of dred, anxiety and deeply unexplainable. So I understand your position and much like yourself, wonder how on earth I'm ever going to have confidence to return to work.

seanyboi1983 that deep dread is an awful feeling.. I'd liken it to my fear of heights, though it seems to inhibit me from doing much more than just going to work - Have you been able to work out what led you to your state of dread?

I think mine is rooted in my anxiety in social situations which has spread like a weed throughout all my social experiences - not so long ago I struggled even to go to the supermarket and couldn't leave or return home if anyone was in sight, I'd literally have to sit in the home/car until no-one was about
I conquered that with small steps - I make a point of breaking up my shopping so I have to go out every day for a few bits which exposes me to my fears constantly and allows me to desensitise to them.
Also I talk to myself - tell myself I'm just doing what everyone does.. I identified anxious thoughts that kept telling me I looked/acted weird, when I really don't.
The thoughts are still there, in the background, telling me the same stuff, but I know I'm OK and as long as I remember that, I can cope.

I hope my ideas are some help to you - I wonder if you've developed any coping strategies yourself?

Hi spiller. I must say that the contrast between your initial post and the above was huge! Well done mate!
I think I'm quite clear on how it all started.
My base was an hours drive from home. I'm 32 and I'd never much left my home city/area but wanted the new challenge since I loved having just myself and my transit van in the past and hated wood cutting and laying loft insukation for local companys. so I thought this was the job for me. Ideal!
After my first day with my new 2 hour daily commute I immedietly felt very controlled. I never realised how technical a job it actualy is changing windscreens on hundreds of differant types of vehicle.
In the months that followed I realised quickly that I although I always new I didn't like unfamiliar scenery, I became aware of how intense that actualy was now that I spent so much time away from home. It was like I'd suddenly been woken up from a 32 year sleep and had entered the big bad world with a shock. It was a mobile job with high levels of communication and organisation and you never realy seen any place you recognised. About 7 monthly targets to meet from quality of work, customer service, time keeping, driving etc.

I worked very hard at it for 12 months but was on a continual downhill slope as I seemed unable to learn how to do the bloody job... I didn't get it cos I was trying my hardest, had a great work ethic and wanted to work and succeed.
But so many things were bothering me... I'd imagined that I would be on my own all day and didn't realise I'd regularly be meeting other techs to double up on jobs and doing work in the branch. Spending time with other people was always hard for me but it was expected on a whole new level and I hated it. And on top of it all my obsession with writting lyrics and songs had been problematic for many years and was still invading me. They don't leave me alone and are usually very intrusive to my day... great when I'm free to tend to it but not so great when your trying to do a high pressure mobile job.
As time went on t he nightmarish feeling continued to grow. Working away from home, 50/60 hour weeks, high levels of communication, monthly targets and kpi scores with monthly one to one with manager, socialising, plus so much more to mention. I was quickly finding out that those things that had niggled me my whole life while being in a relative comfort zone were actualy deeply engrained differances in me that were more apparent than I first realised. I'd always kept myself well protected and would leave the communicating to others while dodging any real resonsibilty through fear of inadequacy, but I was on my own this time and it was all going so wrong. I found my old habit were in full force due to a growing anxiety... I was sleeping with the sound of rain playing under my pillow, holding my stone collections, locking myself in the bathroom for ages with the water running ( iv had a long standing attachment to running water) flicking my fingers, doing an odd rhythmic thing with my mouth, all things I'd done my whole life just intensified big time! I was put on citalopram to help with a growing anxiety and panic attacks and my neck pain was unbareable. (Might I add that by this point I'd had chronic neck pain for 8 straight years almost every single day)

Then the company were about to drop a bombshell that would break me. We were changing our (my) hours of work from Mon Fri 9-5, to an horrendous working pattern of any time between Monday to Sunday 7am to 10pm. A randomised working pattern to add to my already failing performance scores. I had a breakdown and was signed of work for months as I could not shake off the anxiety and couldn't stop thinking of that cold feeling I get when away from home or being in the company of other for more than 5 mins. Even in that 5 mins it was painful. Just like at school I found it painful to look people in the eye and found everything so over whelming... If the giant heating fan in the branch wasn't on to give me the calming white noise then I was a wreck in branch. All these things eventually resulted in my breakdown and being refered to psychologist for councelling.

I attempted to return to work and made the problem worse and was a constant anxious bubbling mess. I'd always told myself I believe I feel the world in a much more harsh way compared to others... I couldnt socialise, needed constant comfort, was deeply obsessional, needed routine and familiarity, had ticks I'd hidden all my life, plus hundreds of other things that were just very differant.
During my councelling sessions she mentioned that I share so many traits with aspergers. I had no idea what it was so went to research it and after a few days of debating the symptoms I started to realise she may be right.
Iv now had 2 appts with a consultant doctor in mental health and asd in which she has diagned ASD and should get notification of my formal diagnostic test very soon.

I'm still wading my through everything and things are picking up. My wife has taken on the role of bread winner and I'm trying to set up a production and sound design environment at home as my own business. So fingers crossed things work out. I don't doubt it will at some stage.

I couldnt believe that things I'd dine my entire life were related to ASD and at age 32 I found myself unable to keep it up any longer. Once I'd written a 20 page self report I dont think their was any denying I was on the spectrum. Been a mad journey that isn't over quite yet but I'm hoping now I understand myself better I can move on with life knowing that support is close by and that my oddities are just me and shouldn't hide my true self anymore.

Hope your well mate!

If you don't know why, how do you cope with it?
I relate this feeling to demand to go ahead blindfolded. I can't make sense out of reality - I don't even understand what's wrong - with me, with other people in the conflict.
I think it's just a self-preservation pause when my mind stops to ingest new incoming information and folds into itself trying to cure the damage already received.
Pushing myself to act 'like normal' results in acute panic and terror of leaving my comfort zone.
At first I feel so much anguish I'm almost vegetable-like, barely can take basic care of myself.
My stress-indicator - if I feel my breathing with my body and how do I sense my body at all (tensed, petrified and so on).
If I'm curled physically into the ball - then no more pressing. Silence, peace and staying in my comfort zone are 'prescribed'.
If I get emotionally to feel something other then anxiety, terror or numbness - then I start to watch myself: what do I want and feel interested in?
I have my psychologist to talk to when I'm ready and want to work with my feelings and my confusion about the situation.
So a little step after little step - I have to wait and rely on my own wish to go in the world again.

I have an idea what is it - why the psyche reacts this way.
When a reasonable person meets a chaos of incoming painful signals and stimulations and faces the impossibility to prevent hurting - the psyche gets broken with 'learned helplessness'.
I think that panic yelling to retreat in the comfort zone and to block all the stimulations from outer world - is a self-preservation instinct.
No sense to beat oneself for desire to keep their own will and mind - even if there is no immidiate risk of physical danger.
I'm learning to respect my self-preservation instinct and to admit the world is really very chaotic and unpredictable (so I can take a vacation whenever I feel like - I don't have to proudly resist all troubles to the point of breakdown).

New Threads

Top Bottom