• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last movie you watched?

I watched The Lion King. It's the best movie EVER. Actually, I used to really hate it (a few months ago), but my school concert band is playing it so I figured I should watch it... I love that movie... Why did I ever say it was awful?

I understand. I used to hate Pete's Dragon as a kid but after watching it again recently for the first time in, like, 20 years, it's nowhere near as bad as I remembered it being.

Wasn't "Thief" the one with James Caan and they used magnesium rods to cut into a safe? If so, that was a cool movie. I saw it on the big screen in the early 80's.

Yeah, that's the one.

Thief (1981) - The Criterion Collection

691_box_348x490_DF_original.jpg

"The Lives of Others"

Dedicated officer of East Germany's state security discovers his meticulous surveillance and investigation of a politically suspect playwright serves only a corrupt government minister who wants the playwright's actress-girlfriend. The officer's ideological purpose in life shattered, he changes the course of the investigation. Worth seeing.

The Lego Movie

The trailers simply do not do this movie justice. It's the best animated film since ParaNorman, hands down. More than that, it's one of the best animated films of all time. It's not just a goofy kids' movie (although it is that on the surface), it's actually about something. Brilliantly using Legos as the medium, the filmmakers genuinely had something to say about the dangers of conformity, the power of imagination, and every person's unique potential to to change the world if only we allow ourselves the freedom to dream. It's a powerful message powerfully delivered within a deceptively simple shell. I cannot possibly recommend this film highly enough.

MV5BMjIwNDE5NjE2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjY2ODc3OA@@._V1_SY886_SX600_AL_.jpg

A fascinating, darkly humorous, and fairly depressing documentary about the infamously temperamental drummer for Cream and Blind Faith, Ginger Baker.

Gojira (1954)

Since the new Godzilla film is a more or less direct sequel to the 1954 original, I decided to watch it again to get ready since I hadn't seen it in several years. Unlike the goofier sequels that came later, the original film was intended to be a dark, dramatic, scary scifi/horror story and 60 years later, it's amazing how effective it still is. Watching it with the knowledge that Godzilla himself is a metaphor for the bombing of Hiroshima, the scenes of massive destruction and the attempts at recovery afterward are chilling and the ambiguous nature of the ending leaves one with a genuine sense of unease. While often overlooked, primarily due to the aforementioned goofy sequels, I would argue that the original film is a genuine classic and stands among the greatest horror films of all time. If you've never seen it, climb out from under your rock and do so.

Gojira (1954)

Since the new Godzilla film is a more or less direct sequel to the 1954 original, I decided to watch it again to get ready since I hadn't seen it in several years. Unlike the goofier sequels that came later, the original film was intended to be a dark, dramatic, scary scifi/horror story and 60 years later, it's amazing how effective it still is. Watching it with the knowledge that Godzilla himself is a metaphor for the bombing of Hiroshima, the scenes of massive destruction and the attempts at recovery afterward are chilling and the ambiguous nature of the ending leaves one with a genuine sense of unease. While often overlooked, primarily due to the aforementioned goofy sequels, I would argue that the original film is a genuine classic and stands among the greatest horror films of all time. If you've never seen it, climb out from under your rock and do so.
Great idea, Dudeman, think I'll watch some of the early Godzilla flicks on Netflix.

Aside from the original, I'd recommend King Kong VS Godzilla, Godzilla VS Mothra and Destroy All Monsters. The 1998 American remake doesn't really resemble the original films all that much, but it's still worth seeing IMO and the animated series that followed it was even better.

Godzilla (2014)

This film was not at all what I was expecting. I figured it would be an epic disaster film with Big G as the one causing the disaster. Not so. Without giving too much away, it turns out that it's pretty much just like the more recent entries in the Japanese series. This means that it won't necessarily be for everyone, but for fans of the series or of giant monster movies in general, it's exactly the kind of film you'll want to see. Given that it's very different from what you'd expect from the trailers, it'll be interesting to see how well it does (or doesn't do, as the case may be).

This:

A70-15496

It's one of the Die Hard movies that was actually good, like the first one :D The second one wasn't really that bad but I though the forth one was at least passable ... lol

Godzilla (2014)

This film was not at all what I was expecting. I figured it would be an epic disaster film with Big G as the one causing the disaster. Not so. Without giving too much away, it turns out that it's pretty much just like the more recent entries in the Japanese series. This means that it won't necessarily be for everyone, but for fans of the series or of giant monster movies in general, it's exactly the kind of film you'll want to see. Given that it's very different from what you'd expect from the trailers, it'll be interesting to see how well it does (or doesn't do, as the case may be).
Thanks for the review, Dudeman. I spent the day watching the classic Godzilla movies on Netflix, King of the Monsters, Raids Again and Vs Mothra, in preparation for the new movie. I wanted to refamiliarize myself with the classics since its been decades since I have seen them.

"The Haunting" (1963)

One of my all-time favorite horror films. A haunted house story based on a Shirley Jackson book.

So do I. That's why I'm so annoyed Frozen made a gazillion dollars. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near their best film and I fear the executives will begin interfering with whatever films are being worked on to try and make them "more like Frozen", never mind how the writers, directors, animators, etc. feel. I hope I'm wrong about that, but I just don't know. They're working on a live action remake/reimagining of Cinderella for next year, so I guess we'll find out when that film is released since the execs still have time to mess it up if they're going to.

New Threads

Top Bottom