• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What to expect from psychiatrist?

flowers

My therapist is recommending I see a psychiatrist as well for anxiety. She said to tell him all my 'symptoms', and mentioned not sleeping well at night. Is that a symptom of anxiety?

Am I just supposed to tell the psychiatrist the same things as I tell my therapist? I will be writing things down and I plan on including all my physical symptoms (such as sensory issues, stomach hurting a lot, random nausea, etc). Am I supposed to tell him about my feelings too? Like feeling overwhelmed and also my daily functioning problems?

I can't say I'm having high expectations for this. My therapist keeps talking about 'anxiety' and how the medication will make it easier interacting with people but I have been on anxiety medication before and this was not the case for me.

I can't say I'm having high expectations for this. My therapist keeps talking about 'anxiety' and how the medication will make it easier interacting with people but I have been on anxiety medication before and this was not the case for me.

If there were medication that could make other people's behaviour make sense, I'd make them take it.
If it were for me it would be along the lines of a nootropic or IQ pill, except it would be an SQ pill (social… whatever) and it would improve my interaction skills but I have no idea how it would do that.

I sarcastically love the notion that one should treat the symptoms, and forget about the thing they are symptoms of.

I sarcastically love the notion that one should treat the symptoms, and forget about the thing they are symptoms of.

I feel like so far, all my therapy experiences have been like this. Treating the symptoms but never getting to the root of the problem. It is so frustrating!!

Me too. I get prescribed things for anxiety/depression/insomnia and they want me to do CBT with regards to eating disorders (weighing me weekly, are they KIDDING?!?) but bugger all actual support for ASD. So, what to expect? Very little unless you get really lucky- which I hope is the case for you. Good luck!

I feel like so far, all my therapy experiences have been like this. Treating the symptoms but never getting to the root of the problem. It is so frustrating!!

Treating the symptoms should make the experience easier to a point where you gain confidence and you're in full precession of your faculties when confronted with what makes you anxious. Tony Attwood mentioned in his book that when you let your emotions take control your ability to make accurate, sensible decisions decreases, your IQ actually decreases temporarily. I think what they're hoping for it that you're able to sort out part of the problem which make you anxious by yourself over time, retraining your brain with other neuro-pathways.

My personal experience with my psychiatrist is they'll have a rough idea of what you're in there for and they'll know the questions to ask. You'll be able to explain your symptoms and why you think they occur. Try not to over think it.

Treating the symptoms should make the experience easier to a point where you gain confidence and you're in full precession of your faculties when confronted with what makes you anxious. Tony Attwood mentioned in his book that when you let your emotions take control your ability to make accurate, sensible decisions decreases, your IQ actually decreases temporarily. I think what they're hoping for it that you're able to sort out part of the problem which make you anxious by yourself over time, retraining your brain with other neuro-pathways.

My personal experience with my psychiatrist is they'll have a rough idea of what you're in there for and they'll know the questions to ask. You'll be able to explain your symptoms and why you think they occur. Try not to over think it.

I agree in theory, but so far, whenever therapists have tried to 'treat my symptoms', nothing has gotten better. Either they are treating the wrong symptoms, or they are trying to treat them in a way that doesn't work with how I'm wired. I'm thinking it's the way I phrase things or something, because they all zero in on anxiety and seem to totally disregard anything else I bring up. They make leaps in their logic that would make sense for an NT but it doesn't match up with my experience.

I'll keep trying.

Possibly, I don't know how long you've been on doing it for but it might just require some patience on your part. It's essentially breaking out of a habit, it'll take time.

New Threads

Top Bottom