• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What kind of phone do you use in conversation?

Keith

Sometimes I feel like all my conversations are done like I'm using a megaphone rather than a telephone, as if I have to announce everything on my mind to the world rather than wait for a response.

That's why I love social networking and creating wikia. I have about five different wikis that I can post my mindless trivia and ramblings on, and I can find who I want to contact using social media.

I have a smartphone which has all kinds of stimulation apps for people with ASDs installed on it, as well as a text-to-speech app for when I become non-verbal after a shutdown or a meltdown. I have access to the Internet on it and my phone also has Bluetooth. The Bluetooth can link to my hearing aids or I can connect my hearing aids directly into my phone using an input lead.

My personal phone is an iPhone but I only speak to one person on it as I don't like talking on the phone. My work phone is an old Nokia which is set up for company calls only.

Smartphone owner who uses it as a tool to organize my life and do many computer related events and to keep my world organized.
I only talk on it when I have to.

IPhone for texting and everything else.
Landline for conversations. (I don't like having a cell phone up to my head for long periods unless I use the speakerphone.)

Neanderthal Woman here has no cell/mobile phone. I have a landline in my aspie cave.

An old Samsung. I had to go get it and look at it to find out, even though I've had it since 2007 or so. It has survived numerous attempts on its life. lol I seriously don't like phone calls, but I will do them when necessary.
[:confused::eek::oops::disrelieved::rolleyes:]

I'm quite afraid of talking to people on phones, and the surprising sudden ringing raises my anxiety, so I rarely use them. When I absolutely have to, it takes me hours and sometimes days to work up to it. Therefore, I don't own a cellphone. However, a soon-coming change in my job position will mean that I will be required to purchase a cell phone. The thought of having to carry and use a phone is really bothering me at present. So, I'm grateful for this forum and the things you all are sharing here.

Just a typical cordless phone with digital answering. Optimized recently so I barely hear it ring and never hear it beep because a scammer or telemarketer left a message for me to delete without wanting to hear it.

Yet I enjoy hearing from y'all who do have and are addicted to mobile phones!

I have a cheap flip-phone. I do not like talking on the phone so it is really only for possible emergencies.

Just a typical cordless phone with digital answering. Optimized recently so I barely hear it ring and never hear it beep because a scammer or telemarketer left a message for me to delete without wanting to hear it.

Yet I enjoy hearing from y'all who do have and are addicted to mobile phones!
mine isn't an addiction,it's an integration to my electronic lifestyle :p

mine isn't an addiction,it's an integration to my electronic lifestyle :p

I get that, sir. ;)

Did some time ago when we finance geeks deduced that it became a legitimate form of inelastic demand, as opposed to a "luxury item". Or as my former corporate employers once hammered into us on a daily basis, "Perception IS Reality". :cool:

What I meant was "What form of phone would you compare your style of communication to?".

In terms of phones in general, my house has a set of cordless, plus one landline for emergencies. We also all have smartphones.

I have an iphone but I literally almost never use it to call anyone. The thought of talking on the phone gives me super anxiety. If someone calls me I will 'ignore' their call and text them instead. I have a much better feel for communication via texting. I also write a mean e-mail and wish my work utilized them more often. Their policy of 'you must literally call in sick, never e-mail',is part of the reason I've never missed a day.

When I'm not on the computer, I get my screentime on my iPhone. I use it for texting, apps and for talking with my family. I generally don't like to talk to anyone else on it.

I have a much better feel for communication via texting. I also write a mean e-mail and wish my work utilized them more often. Their policy of 'you must literally call in sick, never e-mail',is part of the reason I've never missed a day.

I feel the same way about email or texting versus talking on the phone. I'm fortunate in that my work let's us call in sick via email. I used to hate telling my boss that I couldn't make it in, not to mention it leaves the whole situation open for the employer to guilt you into coming in.

zackphone.gif

I have a Zack Morris phone as my smart phone :p

New Threads

Top Bottom