• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What kind of metal awakens your inner warrior?

What kind of metal is best?

• Black Metal

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Death Metal

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Doom Metal

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Folk Metal

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Heavy Metal/Trad Metal

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Power Metal

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Speed Metal

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Thrash Metal or Crossover

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Some "clever" response from the periodic table (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!)

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

ancusmitis

I was looking at the "what kind of music do you identify with" thread, and metal wasn't even on there. So I decided to make a poll and a thread just for us metalheads. What kind of metal strains your neck muscles the hardest? What is it specifically that dislocates your skull? Is it the distortion, the tempo, the lyrics, the rage, the darkness, or just rocking the **** out? I regret that I can't add more than ten possible responses. If you choose "other," do feel free to mention which substyle it is.

If you mean to say "none" then GTFO we will arise and hunt you down (nah, just kidding).

Also, Dio is god.

Metal period but, my style is Power or Death, depending on the era and, my audience, and what is trending. Sometimes the agony is good, sometimes the world just wants to rock out and, being a performer, I'll give them what they want.

As for what gets me to pop a vein, it's seeing and hearing a stadium full of metal heads screaming my lyrics right back at me because they love it, it's feeling the whole stadium shaking so hard I'm scared the stage will collapse because everyone is stomping and jumping in time to the music. It's when you perform it and, your audience takes your music and slams it back at you so hard it blows your mind, and ears - now that's how it's done.

Really though, I have sensory issues with metal, any kind of metal with screaming people. I actually really like Drone when it's done with no vocals. The very rare SunO track that occasionally happens is a true blessing.

Does anyone else know what I mean about metal though? How it just seems to upset my senses that these lead singers are screaming so much or singing in an opera register when they have a goddamn electric guitar backing it up? It offends my senses to hear a person scream overall.

When I was younger I even resorted to a sorts of "laughing about it" response where I just started wondering what they are so angry/serious about anyway. For example.

I like Black, Death, Doom/Drone metal the best. Also grindcore and powerviolence, I like a lot of Hardcore too, but I prefer the more punk side of hardcore. Some metalcore is good, but most of it is really boring to me- I can't stand Hatebreed, it's just macho tantrum shout music lol

I like Black, Death, Doom/Drone metal the best. Also grindcore and powerviolence, I like a lot of Hardcore too, but I prefer the more punk side of hardcore. Some metalcore is good, but most of it is really boring to me- I can't stand Hatebreed, it's just macho tantrum shout music lol

I won't tell Hatebreed you spoke the truth if you don't tell them I did. LOL I have to agree, biggest macho tantrum I've ever heard or seen and, that's saying something in this biz.

Progressive metal, bands like Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth, Negura Bunget, Riverside, Ayreon, Queensryche, Fates Warning. Right now listening to Redemption - This Mortal Coil.

Also, I like folk metal, especially Skyclad. Skyclad are one of my favourite bands... ever! :D

I have not listened to a whole lot of folk metal, but I've been listening to Ensiferum's From Afar album and I love it so much. Most of what I've got is trad metal or thrash, but I've recently expanded into doom and power metal and I'm glad I did so!

I listen to a lot of metal, and for the past several years my favorite area has been very, very black. At its best, I find it wonderfully meditative.

I also love prog, folk, viking, and industrial.

I suppose from the generic descriptors there's a fair amount of death metal, black metal and prog metal going on. Often mixed with some electronics... but I suppose having a thing for the absurdly technical metal stuff comes in as well. Oh... and being a newer genre by name (but not neccesarily as a "sound") djent does a lot for me as well (but I suppose part of the charm for is being into extended range guitars, and, it being a more rhythm based thing, and me being more into rhythm stuff on guitars... you probably understand the jest of what I'm getting at)

But as it seems plenty falls more into "core" categories rather than metal, which, to purists is a big no-no when talking metal, lol. But heck if I care... I'll lump deathcore, metalcore, grindcore and all that with any metal genres.

I suppose overall, I like music (not neccesarily just metal) to be more intense and "full" and to some extent "odd" with dissonant melodies and oddball time signatures. But I find myself listening to more accessible things as well.

Yet, the one "band" I can't seem to let go and keep getting back to as my way to zone out is The algorithm... and while most will claim it's some kind of dance music with a guitar mixed in; they're doing more metal festivals than dance festivals, which I guess makes it a slight bit more metal, lol.

A few other go-to bands for me currently; Cattle decapitation, Animals as Leaders, Within the ruins, Meshuggah

None. Before the new metal technology developed we had to find it in the rocks of the stone age. Or was that stones of the rock age ?

;)

Hatebreed, chimaira, lamb of god, fear factory... Maybe not so much a kind as I just enjoy my metal fast and loud

I won't tell Hatebreed you spoke the truth if you don't tell them I did. LOL I have to agree, biggest macho tantrum I've ever heard or seen and, that's saying something in this biz.
A lot of hatebreed's newer music is about addiction and getting clean or remaining clean (at least that's how I hear it) so I can relate to the music. To me it sounds more anthem than tantrum

Some metalcore is good, but most of it is really boring to me- I can't stand Hatebreed, it's just macho tantrum shout music lol

Metalcore... granted, a fair few bands I listen fall into that category, but none are that much of an archetype like Hatebreed, lol.

Brings back some memories as well; roughly 15 years ago when I was a lot more active in the local music scene here, we had nothing but metal- and hardcore bands.. oh, and a few punk bands. Obviously, the big bad was my band, which didn't follow suit with the rest. Many fights (verbal ones, no physical ones) we ended up having about that same macho attitude Hatebreed somewhat promotes/promoted... but hey, I've posted a song by them on this forum some time ago... I don't neccesarily hate their music, but I can totally see why it's being seen as a macho tantrum, as I've seen them and many bad imitations from up close here, hah.

lol I think Hatebreed are one of those "Marmite" bands that you either love or hate. Just to be clear, I don't think any less of anyone for being a fan- if it floats your boat then good for you :)

I've been listening to a lot of chiptune/Nintendocore bands lately like Horse The Band, Minibosses and Anamanaguchi (I know ANMG aren't technically metal but they play very fast, energetic music)

lol I think Hatebreed are one of those "Marmite" bands that you either love or hate. Just to be clear, I don't think any less of anyone for being a fan- if it floats your boat then good for you :)

I've been listening to a lot of chiptune/Nintendocore bands lately like Horse The Band, Minibosses and Anamanaguchi (I know ANMG aren't technically metal but they play very fast, energetic music)

Those chiptune acts you mention are great though :) If you need your fix of chiptune you might want to check out IAYD (I am your destruction, though I think he goes by IAYD now) and Sabrepulse. Not metal in any way, but both pretty much top of the genre.

But yeah, I agree with Hatebreed; if someone likes it, good on them. It's probably fans that breathe the attitude said band has going on which are a bit more annoying. But as I said earlier... I had my share of that, but eventually, they all grew up, lol. I guess, that kind of attitude is great when you're in your late teens, early 20's... maybe it's why Hatebreed themselves matured a bit in terms of themes they have going on now.

I guess my tastes are a little more limited. Most of what I like is from the seventies and eighties. I do like some more recent stuff, but mostly it's new entries in older substyles. Never got into death metal very much. Above a certain level, it starts blurring together. Metalcore I'm not even familiar with. Knew a guy who listened to Hatebreed, gave me one of their CD's, but I just wasn't interested. I don't remember much about them except I just wasn't inspired to listen to it very much.

When I was younger, I did listen to a lot of Powerman 5000 and Static-X and Rammstein, which I suppose you could call "industrial metal" (although Rammstein is technically Neue Deutsche Härte), but I've kind of lost interest. I don't dislike them, it's just I have other bands that are more interesting right now. I also used to listen to Disturbed and Drowning pool, but I never liked them past the first album and I don't like them as much as I did any more. There's not any other numetal that really gets me going either.

I also seem to be the only one who listens to older seventies-era heavy metal. No one listens to Budgie, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Motörhead?

You forgot to add Prog Metal.

But yeah, I love stuff like Dream Theater, Seventh Wonder, Rhapsody, Sound Horizon (and Linked Horizon), Dragonforce, and especially Ayreon...or really anything by Arjen Lucassen for that matter.

New Threads

Top Bottom