• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

what is your stim?

Just wondering... Anyone know if smoking can be a stim? Would explain why it took me fifteen years to quit and even then I had to switch to vaping. Seems it's not so much the ingredients as it is the mouth/hand stimulation.
As a smoker, I would say absolutely, it can be one of many outlets of stimming. One of the reasons, I am sure, I have not yet succeeded in giving it up.

I do a lot of things like playing with my hair, playing with my earrings if I am wearing dangling ones, playing with my wedding ring. I am particularly trying to be careful with the third one. I have almost lost my wedding ring a number of times this way.

If i'm sitting in an upright fetal position watching t.v and get really into the show i'll start rocking in a circular motion, I also twist my wrists round so they click and rub my thumb over my nails, bite the sides of my fingers and insides of my cheeks constantly and always have to pull the skin on my neck in order to swallow a pill :p

Jogging my legs up and down, biting my lips and cheeks. Pretty tiring!

Aspergers Syndrome: Teacher. UK

Yes. I used to do it a lot, but right now I'm back to the old classic rocking back-and-forth (whether sitting or on my feet).

If I find myself standing in front of the tv that's exactly what I start doing....rocking back and forth from side to side.

As a teen and in my 20's I would bounce my legs up and down, like giving a pony ride to a kid, and tap my feet. I also strum or tap my fingers on my desk. Just in the past few years I've been biting and chewing on my tongue.

Oh...here's an interesting one. Back when I used to play a woodwind instrument, I'd start fingering scales and warmups while waiting for the conductor to finish talking during rehearsal. It drove everyone around me nuts. :cool:

I've taken up making noises like instruments with my mouth or something I guess is called beboping

I still make a sort of grunting noise with my throat that also sounds like I'm trying to clear my throat ... but that could also be because of my smoking as well

I've read through some of this thread and I feel kind of dumb for asking, but what exactly is a stim?

It's basically a repetitive habit you do obsessively because it's soothing (i.e. tapping on a desk, finger-flicking, rocking back and forth). It's a spectrum thing, but I think anyone can do it.

New Threads

Top Bottom