• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is your nationality or ethnicity?

Lakota Sioux (Native American), Cherokee (Native American) French Canadian, and Irish
I'm just a human mutt. No wonder I'm all mixed up : )

It should be obvious that it would be ridiculous for me to be a racist.
I have to check the "other" box when race is asked. In the description I just write, "Its complicated."

We are all from the same source of whatever got us here. So in reality we are just humans born into something that we can use to help define a million things we cant begin to explain.

Lakota Sioux (Native American), Cherokee (Native American) French Canadian, and Irish
I'm just a human mutt. No wonder I'm all mixed up : )

It should be obvious that it would be ridiculous for me to be a racist.
I have to check the "other" box when race is asked. In the description I just write, "Its complicated."

We are all from the same source of whatever got us here. So in reality we are just humans born into something that we can use to help define a million things we cant begin to explain.
I can certainly relate to the human mutt, ticking that "other" box and all. I say biracial because it's faster, especially in Europe, but if I'm asked, my reply will always be "How much time you got?".

Canadian

My long term heritage is somewhat a mystery as my dad was adopted - my guess is he is Greek or Italian mix. My mom was metis (French native mix dating back to settler times).

I am the palest white person I have ever met outside of albinos - I'm curious where that comes from. (My whole family has dark hair and olive complexion - I came out super fair)

Living in Canada

50% German
25% Ukrainian
25% French

As far as I know. A small amount of aboriginal could be possible especially considering how poorly known the French branch of the family is. I tan super dark in the summer but the parts of me that never see the sun remain very pale like an Irish person. I develop one of the most impressive farmer tans you'll ever see.

If I had any aboriginal it would be from eastern Canadian regions. It irritates me when people claim to be Cherokee with no confirmation. That is one tribe located in the south eastern USA and there are/were MANY other tribes but people always say Cherokee. Especially stupid when their family is far from that region and likely never had contact. I think in many cases a person wants to claim some non white lineage to be considered more hip then say "Cherokee" because it's the only aboriginal tribe/nation name that they know.

Not necessarily. I think some people may think it's hip, sure, but it was one of the largest nations, and the Trail of Tears means that the areas "hosting" Cherokees are potentially wider than the areas where other nations were established, it's definitely not limited to just North Carolina. I think there is actually a much larger number of Cherokees in Oklahoma now, but I'm too close to going to sleep to check. If anyone has a special interest in Cherokee history, now is their time to shine, bring on the monologue!

I am the palest white person I have ever met outside of albinos - I'm curious where that comes from. (My whole family has dark hair and olive complexion - I came out super fair)
I am also the palest person I have ever met outside of albinos :p
There is a lot of Scandinavian heritage in my family, I think even the German side had some Scandinavian blood as well. Quite a few platinum blondes on both sides of my family.

Well, my grandfather on my mother's side was from Oklahoma and my grandmother on my father's side was a Houston so indirectly from Texas. I don't know how many Cherokee there were in Texas at the time of Sam Houston but it's a historical fact that he married a Cherokee woman. So, Pariah Dog, I don't know if your irritation was due to me but I'm really not trying to be hip or cool. This is all based upon a lot of genealogy research that I did and I ran into many dead ends. Like I said, I was just trying to confirm what was told to me when I was a kid and didn't reach any concrete conclusions. I do know that my great-great grandfather was German. His son married a German woman. His son married a German woman. His son married a Texan. I have no Idea where Sam Houston came from. For all I know I have lineage from two different American tribes but it's difficult to get information when the only surviving aunt I have is married to a White Separatist.

Well, my grandfather on my mother's side was from Oklahoma and my grandmother on my father's side was a Houston so indirectly from Texas. I don't know how many Cherokee there were in Texas at the time of Sam Houston but it's a historical fact that he married a Cherokee woman. So, Pariah Dog, I don't know if your irritation was due to me but I'm really not trying to be hip or cool. This is all based upon a lot of genealogy research that I did and I ran into many dead ends. Like I said, I was just trying to confirm what was told to me when I was a kid and didn't reach any concrete conclusions. I do know that my great-great grandfather was German. His son married a German woman. His son married a German woman. His son married a Texan. I have no Idea where Sam Houston came from. For all I know I have lineage from two different American tribes but it's difficult to get information when the only surviving aunt I have is married to a White Separatist.

No worries. It's no irritation to me if it's true or probable. I was just reminded how often the claim is rediculous I've seen both in person and on internet. For example someone living in Canada claims Cherokee with no evidence who's maybe only 3rd generation Canadian and who's family had only ever lived in Canada. It's more rediculous the further west and North you go. Similarly in the USA. Cherokee is likely the only tribe they know because it's probably about the only one that gets an occasional mention in pop culture. I would say Navajo after this but much lesser.

England has loads peak district lake district new forest northumberland vast tracts of cornwall devon dorset sussex Norfolk!suffolk county Durham n.York moors wiltshire is stunning
true,streetwise-i love those places to but compare it to wales,its a whole land of beauty and in my experience the people are very friendly and accepting,theyre a proud bunch and i dont blame them,theyve had to seriously suffer since the coal mining collapses, more should have been done to invest in other stuff in wales-not just seasonal tourism or coal.

The Cherokee Nation was forced into relocation between 1836 and 1839, moving their population from the east and southeastern portions of the United States to Oklahoma. Better known as the "Cherokee Removal" or "The Trail of Tears".

After this time the Cherokee Nation was effectively spread halfway across the southern portion of the United States, from North Carolina to Oklahoma.

If your family like so many managed to migrate westward, (particularly to Oklahoma) it's not that remarkable to have Cherokee blood intermingled with others. I can't speak for others, but for me it's simply an aspect of my family's official genealogy traced back to 1791 when my first Irish ancestor fled to Virginia. Though I still have family roots to this day in Ulster.

I'm no more "fashionably Cherokee" than I am "fashionably autistic".

Last edited:
true,streetwise-i love those places to but compare it to wales,its a whole land of beauty and in my experience the people are very friendly and accepting,theyre a proud bunch and i dont blame them,theyve had to seriously suffer since the coal mining collapses, more should have been done to invest in other stuff in wales-not just seasonal tourism or coal.
IM not supporting people what IM supporting is nature i like animals have no understanding of human boundaries i just live with nature

No worries. It's no irritation to me if it's true or probable. I was just reminded how often the claim is rediculous I've seen both in person and on internet. For example someone living in Canada claims Cherokee with no evidence who's maybe only 3rd generation Canadian and who's family had only ever lived in Canada. It's more rediculous the further west and North you go. Similarly in the USA. Cherokee is likely the only tribe they know because it's probably about the only one that gets an occasional mention in pop culture. I would say Navajo after this but much lesser.

I did a little more research after posting in this thread and it turns out that Sam Houston's Cherokee wife didn't have any children with him so that would lead me to conclude that if I do have Cherokee ancestors they would be on my mother's side. But, like I said, I kept running into dead ends. And I was hoping to get my 32 acres from the government! My mother's father "looked" Indian but may have changed his name so I was unable to find him on the Cherokee Rolls. My father was not the type to claim that his children had blood in them from what he would consider to be an "inferior" race without due cause. Come to think of it he might have made a good Nazi.

German 25%/danish 25%/lithuanian 25%/irish 25%

I guess I identify with German the most because my grandfather was from germany, so I was exposed to the culture to an extent.

Ha, adding on to the Cherokee thing: so I checked with my parents, and my life is a lie. I always thought we were part Susquehanna (here's to a very non-famous tribe), and in true, blunt Aspie fashion, my father went "No, that's on my step-mother's side. My side is Cherokee, and it's proven".
Why am I only being told now? How did I get these confused? We're not even on speaking terms with the "step ones"... (At least, I learned something. But I'm still not fashionable)

Addendum to my previous message, where I said I was from a Caribbean country and had no ethnicity.
If you want to imagine me better, you have to know that my soul is green. I don't live in my home country anymore, but I carry the eternal, vast, amazing, intense green of its nature wherever I go.

New Threads

Top Bottom