• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you think of Carl from Arthur?

Misty Avich

I prefer to be referred to as ADHD
V.I.P Member
If you've seen the children's TV series Arthur then you may know that they introduced a character with autism called Carl.

The character was supposed to have Asperger's, which is known as a mild form of autism, but to me he seemed more like a moderate functioning autistic child.

As a high-functioning Aspie/PDD-NOS, BAP (don't know which term to use for me any more) I was nothing like that as a child. If I'm honest I was much more like DW. In school I was more like George, even though I wasn't dyslexic I could still relate to his character (being too nice, wimpy and struggling in class). He was quite lonely too.

I'm not saying Carl isn't a good portrayal of autism but it would have been better if his diagnosis in the episode wasn't Asperger's. It should have just been autism. DW seems more Aspie or ADHD-like to me. Asperger's and ADHD are more complex, and if you're going to have a character with one or both of those it is best to just have them as a quirky sort of character rather than very obvious.

He doesn't look much like a rabbit, but Arthur & relatives
don't look like anteaters, either.

Is this a newer character? I don't remember Arthur touching on ASD back in the day (but then again, almost nobody did), and apparently Arthur ran for 25 years, which is a very long time for a show like that. Props to them for keeping it going for so long :D.

DW definitely had those ADHD vibes, that was basically me as a kid. It's funny that Arthur himself seemed very much NT, but also very sensitive to other's feelings. He was kind of a unique character in that way.

I hardly ever watched Arthur, but this Carl character is a bit too stereotypical for me. He's a boy, for one thing. And he likes trains. Also Buster looks more like a rabbit than Carl.

While I don't want this thread to turn into a debate about which animals they look like, I'll just quickly say that a lot of people wonder what animal Binky is, but to me it's always been obvious that he's a Hippo.

Anyway, back to the original subject, I'm not offended by Carl's character or anything, but I still feel he's a more appropriate fit of a child with more severe autism.
If there was an episode that revealed DW had Asperger's or ADHD then that would probably ring true for the character. She so reminds me of me as a child. I was an annoying little sister who always craved attention and bossed my older siblings about and caused drama. The episode "DW's bad mood" described me a lot with my behaviour, although I wasn't an angry child as such but could be quite neurotic when unable to handle my emotions.

I hardly ever watched Arthur, but this Carl character is a bit too stereotypical for me. He's a boy, for one thing. And he likes trains. Also Buster looks more like a rabbit than Carl.
And he has glasses. Why do they always put autistic characters in glasses, like we're all blind nerds or something?

It was ground breaking for the time it was realised and at that point Asperger’s was the term defo not the worst representation I’ve see :

It was ground breaking for the time it was realised and at that point Asperger’s was the term defo not the worst representation I’ve see :
It wasn't a bad representation but if I had been younger than and the kids at school watched the episode they would have probably been like "that's not Misty at all!"

Personally I find Arthur bizarre and somewhat creepy. Something about the way they talk feels disingenuous.

But onto the topic, the majority of ASD folk are male, there's a correlation between ASD and myopia and also strabismus, and trains or other forms of engineering are very popular with those with ASD. As ASD is a spectrum, any representation is going to only actually reflect a subset of the population. They've gone for attempting to represent as many people as they possibly can, which is logical and fair IMO.

PS. I use lenses, but my youngest has glasses. He's not a blind nerd. Think we need to be a bit careful with our language here.

New Threads

Top Bottom