• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Do You Do For Work?

I have worked a hardware store for three years now. It was the only job I ever applied for and I got it magically. My favorite and least favorite thing about the job is the people, I get a mixed bag of good and bad. I enjoy the work for the most part and my boss likes me. I could probably become manger if I wanted, my boss has hinted about it, but I do not know if I am going to stay there when I graduate college.

I believe education is essential to getting a decent job. I am very competitive intellectually and worked my but off every time I decided to go to college. l I have an AAS, 2 BSs and 2 MSs. It has made it possible for me to first be a teacher and then become an RN and work for a hospital and nursing home. I always struggled with the social issues of working with people but was good enough at my jobs to stay employed. I am now retired, live like a hermit because I am exhausted from all those years of working to get along with NTs, and have a fairly decent retirement due to my own good sense in staying employed and saving and investing. I am grateful that I somehow kept slogging through all the social crap requirements, kept my head down, and kept working and not spending every penny I made. I don't smoke or drink and was never tempted to abuse drugs. Guess it was good that I had very few friends and didn't get hooked on their foolish habits. It might have been to my advantage that I didn't learn I have AS until I was in my 60s. I just accepted that I was awful, nasty, unlikable and weird and did what I had to do to survive. Oh, I never allowed myself to charge, and then pay interest, on things I could make myself wait for until I could afford them. The idea of paying interest on a credit card makes me ill. I have paid interest only on cars and a mortgage. I even survived 11 years of a sick, abusive marriage and still have a relationship with my two kids.
Go to school!!!!! It doesn't have to be college. Get some training that enables you to get a job and then hang on to that job.

I'm unemployed. I did work at a shop, but it closed. I'm currently trying to find employment, as well as taking courses online.

These days, I am a graphic designer, self-employed from home.
This is a pretentious way of saying that I am a skint artist, trying to start a business.
I worked in factories, using a fake jokey / aggressive persona.
I did OK - made it to a good QC job but I had an accident in work.
Reading your posts makes me feel really sad Robby - I've worked in (& know of) plenty working environments where there has been just one gay man & no issues at all.
I always found getting and keeping a job really difficult. I was obstinate, inclined to be angry and had to work hard not to fall out with people. Not one day did I ever look forward to it, or enjoy it.
Robby, you say that you're creative and organised, is there something you could do self employed?
If you want to chat, then do x

New Threads

Top Bottom