• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your thoughts on religion?

ryan1205

Mr. I Don't Know
V.I.P Member
I am not a religious person. I don't follow any religion at all infact I self-declare myself as an agnostic. I was born in raised in the 2nd most religious state in the United States and I sometimes get tired of being asked by a random person "what church do you go to" or by someone new to my city "Do you know what is the best church in this area".

I was raised by two lesbian mothers, one Lutheran and the other is Jewish from NYC. They never pressured religion on me as a child but I get sick and tired of people my age trying to convert me and many non-profit organizations are almost always faith based.

I don't hate religion but I do believe in all honesty it is one of the main reasons why there is suffering this world. Like in the middle east. In Sudan in the 80s. Yugoslavia between Orthodox, Catholics and Muslims in the early 90s and many more.

I am also a strong believer in separation of the church and the state, and I believe in the freedom of religion but not ONE religion.

I believe in some sort of god, whether it be spiritual or physical. And there could be multiple gods. I believe someone taught humans how to become civilized and advance through life. But I believe that religion was created by man and not by this god that I believe in. I don't believe in the power of prayer and I don't believe that god can intervene in our life and that he or she or it makes our decisions for us.

Sorry if anyone gets offended by my post but this is how I always felt and I just want to rant about what I believe in religion

I am a believer in the one true God. I believe in His Word, and His only begotten Son, who died and rose again for all mankind. God, in His grace gave us the path to peace by faith in Him through the sacrifice of Christ. He made us free moral agents, with the right to believe or disbelieve. We will hold us accountable for our faith, or lack thereof. His love is everlasting and all encompassing. He is holy righteous, but foremost, He is love.

That sounds similar to my views. I grew up Catholic, but I can't really say that it ever meant anything to me, or that I ever felt like I had any kind of connection to god or any kind of higher being. When I meet religious people, I try to start in the most positive way. My attitude is, "You have faith in your life. I will likely never understand that, but I respect and admire that." But it's all too easy for someone to take their religious beliefs to the next level, with the attitude of "My holy book gives me all the answers to the ultimate meaning of life and the universe. My life has meaning. My life has purpose. And Yours. Does. Not. Not unless you think what I think and believe what I believe." Because from there, it's a small step to thinking of those humans as Them, as Other, that their lives have less value, or no value. Which leads as you said to the violence that has plagued human civilization for millennia, and is still going strong today.
I think that in my case at least, a lot of it is a social issue. I've never been a sports fan, and I've had conversations with people who are to try to understand the concept. So you've been a fan of that sportsball team since you were a kid. But all the players you grew up watching are long since retired, the coaches and managers are gone, and the new coach doesn't even play the same style of game as they did when you were a kid. The old building they used to play in was demolished years ago to build this newer, bigger one, the logo is different, even the announcer finally retired. Nothing is the same, so why still be a fan? The answer is that there's one thing that does still endure, and that's the community of fans, and for many people, it comes down to tradition and the sense of belonging.
I think that FOR SOME PEOPLE, whatever they tell themselves, the thing they get out of their religion is that sense of belonging, and the comfort of being part of a community. And that may be why neither sports fans nor organized religions make sense to me. Of course I'm just making this up as I go, but if you Google 'aspergers religion', you'll see lots of articles like, "Why Are High-Functioning Autistics More Likely to Be Atheists or Agnostics?", so I suppose I could be on to something.

I'm an atheist, raised as such, my family are all atheist. Where I live (UK) religion is simply not a big deal, and people who are openly religious are a minority. I can only think of 3 people whom I know are christian, though there are a few more muslims and hindus amongst my acquaintance.

I think that religion gives many people comfort, and a sense of community and purpose in their lives, which is great (although I don't understand how intelligent and educated people can believe many of the things they do), but also am aware that organised religion is responsible for a great deal of suffering and violence both currently and historically, and is also used as an excuse for hatred and oppression, which is why I don't really like organised religion in general.

I'm an atheist. I don't have anything against people who gain some comfort from their faith but its just not for me. :)

I don't know I'm kinda agnostic. No one has ever come back to life to relate his story in the other world. I really like history and I have a good knowledge of history of religions. Often more that any declared Christian I know. Much because I like to know why we have all these holidays :)
Lots of believers should do this work, i think it would bring more peace in this world if Muslims and Christians knew they were celebrating a lot of Jewish holidays, for example.

I am probably going to regret posting on controversial thread such as this one, but here goes. As we all know, science and religion often disagree. When I contemplate these things, I find myself agreeing with the science, because of the way my mind works. I did not make a conscious decision to think the way that I do, it is just the way that I am. Everything that I believe to be true, all of my priorities and all most everything that I do, are based on logical thought. In short, I believe what makes the most sense to me.

That being said, I think that nobody should ever condemn any religion for any reason. Everybody needs a belief system. This is very important for everybody. Without a belief system, a person is just lost and everybody has the right to believe what makes the most sense to them.

I was born from atheists and I DO believe in God and His Son, Jesus Christ. There was not a Bible in the houses in grew up in, yet I have always felt God's presence in my life. I admit that in my teen years and young adults years, I behaved like I was the devil's daughter. But, when I turned 40, I walked into a Christian Church feeling so ashamed of myself and walked out feeling loved. First time in my whole life that I felt loved! I received Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and INSTANTLY delivered from drugs and condemnation. I'm made NEW! He is restoring me! One thing that most people don't understand is that religion is man's attempt to get closer to God by "works", but Jesus gives us grace and mercy so that we can have a relationship with our Heavenly Father. Religion is trying to follow a bunch of do's and dont's. A relationship with Him doesn't require following rules and regulations. It’s all about living by faith knowing that He will never leave nor forsake you. God is indeed a good,good father and He loves us unconditionally. I cry for Him because He wants what's best for us, yet we are too busy doing our own things and going our separate ways. Men hating one another, killing one another...this saddens God. And, He is also a gentleman. He doesn't force Himself into anyone's life...He patiently waits to be invited. I love God with all of my heart and soul and I feel I don't represent Him as good as I should. This is something that I will never back down from and is probably why I endure such hatred from others. I'm even listening to worship music as I write this.

I have my own belief system which requires no fellowship, rituals or dogma. That the sanctity of my own eternal soul is not dependent on the words or actions of fellow mortals. In essence I have God, and have no need for religion and fellowship.

However I also accept that other fellow eternal souls follow "different forks in the road", where in their present mortal incarnation on this plane of existence may or may not involve God, and or religion.

I have my own belief system which requires no fellowship, rituals or dogma. That the sanctity of my own eternal soul is not dependent on the words or actions of fellow mortals. In essence I have God, and have no need for religion and fellowship.

However I also accept that other fellow eternal souls follow "different forks in the road", where in their present mortal incarnation on this plane of existence may or may not involve God, and or religion.
My motto in life is Live and let live. I don't push anything on anyone.

I grew up in a Christian cult, so I'm a little jaded. Having been raised for the full-time ministry since I was born, I know religion. I also remember the near-constant cognitive dissonance between what I'm supposed to believe, and what my logic says is actually true. Being ethnically Jewish I find I have a strong pull towards tradition, community, and ritual, but due to my upbringing I cannot stop believing in Jesus as the Jewish Messiah. The Scriptural evidence is too overwhelming. This makes me an outcast in both religions. At this point, my feelings concerning all organized religions is that they are used as a way to control the people, and make money. With that said, a person's beliefs or relationship with God is their own business, and none of mine. Do I believe in God, yes. Am I willing to admit I might be wrong, yes. Has organized religion made me a better person, or just completely screwed me up? That question has yet to be answered.

I identify myself as a freethinker, more inclined to Agnosticism.
I agree there're people need a belief system to support their inner world, especially someone who is fighting with challenges, therefore I respect everyone with different religion.

However, here is a problem.
My parents are Christian, some people here are also Christian.
They claimed they would not force me to share the same religion with them, but they always bring up their god in almost every conversation.
To me, this is annoying and kind of offending atheist and freethinker in a indirectly way.
I mean, if we're talking about religion, like this thread, it is all welcome to give their own comment about god. But if it's about other topic, I can't see there is necessary to name/mention their god.

Religion is personal, why can't keep it to yourselves?

I respect my parents by letting them attend every activity in church(although insanely too much in my opinion), but what did they do to respect me as somebody who don't share the same religion with them?

Last edited:
I grew up in a Christian cult, so I'm a little jaded. Having been raised for the full-time ministry since I was born, I know religion. I also remember the near-constant cognitive dissonance between what I'm supposed to believe, and what my logic says is actually true. Being ethnically Jewish I find I have a strong pull towards tradition, community, and ritual, but due to my upbringing I cannot stop believing in Jesus as the Jewish Messiah. The Scriptural evidence is too overwhelming. This makes me an outcast in both religions. At this point, my feelings concerning all organized religions is that they are used as a way to control the people, and make money. With that said, a person's beliefs or relationship with God is their own business, and none of mine. Do I believe in God, yes. Am I willing to admit I might be wrong, yes. Has organized religion made me a better person, or just completely screwed me up? That question has yet to be answered.
You're not screwed up Ronin82 .Jesus is the Messiah! There are indeed plenty of false leaders who are just in it for the money....STAY AWAY FROM THOSE! God's Not Dead!

The only church that matters in the end is the Church of (your name here.). No religion is worth a fig unless we as individuals honor it without cherry-picking the tenants we want to adhere to when they seem convenient. This is especially true when those tenants come into conflict with what is popular. I might find myself standing alone against my neighbors should something like a half-way house be proposed in my community, but change in the world must start with us as individuals. I know not of any mainstream religion that does not place high value on respecting others, even if they disagree theologically.

"Religions are simply different roads to the same place. As long as we are all going to the same place, what does it matter what road we take?"

I am inclined to view religion more as a guide to life in this world and less as a gateway to the next.

Last edited:
My thoughts on Religion:
It is very important to understand the difference between 'religion' (especially 'organised religion') and 'faith'. It is quite possible (as has been demonstrated many times) for someone without faith to not only be a member of a religious group, but be a leader in it! In theology, they talk of the 'visible church' (what the world sees) and the 'invisible church' (the true believers).
On a similar vein, it is important to understand the difference between 'science', 'scientific fact', and 'scientific theory'. There is much that is presented as 'fact' which is still only theoretical, and sometimes even contradicts observation.
In times of doubt, 'Pascal's wager' influences my life — though when I was younger, I didn't know it by this name.
I don't like the word 'Religion', nor 'Christian' due to the baggage that always seems to come with the words.
I was raised in what some might term a conservative evangelical fundamentalist church (which are all loaded terms I don't like either).
I follow Jesus, and the teachings of the Bible to the best of my ability and understanding.
They say Buddhism is fundamentally a philosophy, not a religion. In the same way true Christianity is not religion, but a relationship.
I believe there is only one 'true way', and I follow it not to earn salvation, but because of salvation. And this is the fundamental difference from 'Religion'.

Last edited:
I'm an atheist.

In 40 years, apart from Weddings and Funerals I've been to Church about 4 times if that.

They say Buddhism is fundamentally a philosophy, not a religion. In the same way true Christianity is not religion, but a relationship.
This recall me that I once have an argument with my parents about themselves for being a christian.
They yelled at me and asked me to stop talking about philosophy because they didn't have much educated as mine.
Then I was pointing out to them, religion is a kind of philosophy!
You cannot just put 100% belief on it without thinking about it, especially in multiple perspective.
It's too dangerous to eat up everything what "leaders" have told you, because leaders are human too, and they could be wrong.
Most of the time, I really think my parents are radical Christians.

I was raised in a Christian household,but I'm a (very curious) agnostic :),my parents and family members are all Christian,and the majority of them don't know my views.

I was raised in a Christian household,but I'm a (very curious) agnostic :),my parents and family members are all Christian,and the majority of them don't know my views.

I do have a god of my own, but currently I have no idea what my god's various attributes are. I think I am a "spiritualist" and that I think is about as far as I can go right now.

New Threads

Top Bottom