• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Are Your Clothing Quirks?

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone's clothing quirks were!

Here are mine:
-I hate socks. I will wear them in winter to keep my feet from freezing but I hate them!
-I hate bulky clothes on my arms and legs.
-I have to have a warm torso and love vests (which keep my arms from being bulky)
-I love cotton and lycra and hate anything silky or slippery
-I always go form and comfort over fashion (5" heels?! who can run in those if you are attacked by a bear?! :D)

I am sure I have more but can't think of them all.

What are yours?

I wear the same thing every day. At the end of the day I shower, put on clean clothes and wash and hang what I was wearing. I rotate everything in a stack but all the same things. My ex girlfriend kept buying and bringing me clothes. I have a closet full, so many pairs of pants. I only wear one. She would not listen to me.

I like wearing shorts, sandals, and tie-dyed tee-shirts. More formal wear for church. Tags are carefully removed with a razor knife unless they're printed into the fabric. Soft cottons preferred.

It's funny that there are people here who hate wearing socks but I wear socks all the time, even in summer. I always wear socks to bed. If I take them off the feel of the sheets and bed mattress on my bare feet feels really gross for some reason. I also only wear ankle-length socks.

For years I was throwing off my clothes the instant I got home and getting into PJs, much to the annoyance of my husband. When my therapist suggested ASD I realized I was doing it to be more comfortable. I'm just not very self-aware.

So I bought some soft cotton cardigan and sweats from a fashion brand and it's far better and looks not so frumpy.

I do not even thing about cloths or fashion, my wife buys my only requitement are a shirt with a pocket. or pants with pockets deep enough that my keys do not fall out, in other words form follows function.

Striped shirts or plain colors. Star patterns are a thing, too. Pants that fit but that also have good movement. Skechers. Beanies. Those ankle socks meant for folks with diabetes because the ankle part actually doesn't feel like a snake trying to constrict my blood flow. Tight socks are annoying.

Discovering I was autistic put in perspective why I've struggled with clothing all my life.

Today, I cleaned out my whole closet. Gave away over half my clothes. Got an everyday set of about 10 outfits, same brand, slightly different colors, and then made that front and center. The rest is for church, special occasions, office and social outings.

Perhaps a bit stereotypical of me, but I am super relieved and happy now.

8fei9v.jpg

Love wearing weird quirky kids socks cause my feet are tiny. But the material has to be just right. Some times i spend 10 to 15 minutes picking out socks. They are folded the same way each time I have a draw for each length and each side is for the different texture. If I am really nervous I will bring back up socks. I will also often bring a back up outfit. Sometimes my outfit will feel too loud and my whole body hurts I want to unzip my skin.

New Threads

Top Bottom