• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are some things you like about yourself?

DogwoodTree

Still here...
Not stuff that other people have said they like about you, but stuff that YOU like about YOURSELF...

(Doesn't have to be AS related...just something about you.)

Oooh ooh I know this one!! Not to sound conceited, but I'm working on identifying things I like about myself XD

My intelligence, kindness, compassion, patience, love of animals, passion for helping those in need, sense of humor, independence, resilience, and MY HAIR. :cherryblossom:

this is kinda a hard thread for me, havent been doing awesome for past few days but when i am in this kinda mood i always try to push myself to post in threads like this.

i like that i can be there for my friends emotionally when they need me, to give advice and the like.

this is kinda a hard thread for me, havent been doing awesome for past few days but when i am in this kinda mood i always try to push myself to post in threads like this.

i like that i can be there for my friends emotionally when they need me, to give advice and the like.

That's such an important quality, and many people don't have it. I bet you're an awesome friend :)

I'm not a quitter. I was placed in the foster home and had many people wanting me to give up on goals I have set for life. They figure since I'm one of those people with a learning disability that I have to live on disability since there no future for a person like me. I managed to proved everyone wrong and I will continue to do so until the day I die.

I am dang good at managing money. Out of respect for my husband's desire of privacy I won't say what our AGI ended up being last year. But I am good at what I do. I can make a budget and get us by while leaving people scratching their heads as to how we pulled it off. May not have any leeway for emergencies, which can be dangerous when one of you has a potentially serious and fatal health problem, but we're working on dragging in more income so we can have emergency money on hand.

And despite all the complaints I get about it, I'm glad I'm as stubborn and bull-headed as I am. And I enjoy my sense of humor, a person has to be a real knot on a log or having a really bad day if I can't get them to laugh.

Oooh ooh I know this one!! Not to sound conceited, but I'm working on identifying things I like about myself XD
That's the awkward Catch 22 of talking about what you like about yourself, isn't it? If you mention nothing, then you have low self-esteem and need therapy. If you mention anything, you have a serious ego-problem and need therapy. Doggone'd if you do, doggone'd if you don't. Whenever it comes up in person I just start talking about the weather or something.

That's the awkward Catch 22 of talking about what you like about yourself, isn't it? If you mention nothing, then you have low self-esteem and need therapy. If you mention anything, you have a serious ego-problem and need therapy. Doggone'd if you do, doggone'd if you don't. Whenever it comes up in person I just start talking about the weather or something.

LOL, yeah well, that's why I had to ask the question. My therapist thinks I'm not being authentic enough with people, but I pointed out that I tried really hard to be more authentic over the past two years, and it just got crazier and crazier to where I had to pack it all away again or drive everyone off.

How can you be authentic when what comes out is seriously and inherently flawed (i.e., social ignorance, misjudgments of people, bizarre miscommunications, mood disorder, intense interests in things no one else cares much about, ingrained dysfunctional patterns that I'm working on but still seep out)?

And what happens when, even when the real you comes out, flaws and all, and if you happen to have found someone who can accept you as you are, and you STILL don't feel connected?

You're so right, sweetie. I'd never have the confidence to say any such in public, in face. Typing is my mask :)

Probably that I have never gotten too serious about life. Oh I can do a good act when I think folk are paying undue attention, but, mostly I've been kicking up leaves and chasing the wind.

I have a strong sense of justice and can make objective judgements about things. I'm not easily influenced by others, independent-minded and not afraid to do my own thing. I have a fierce determination and don't give up easily, even when things are hard.

I can say not being a quitter as well.
Had I quit after my traumatic brain injury,I would not be where I am today ;)

I got to experience being clinically dead twice...two times,I traveled to the next progression of where life leads a person. I returned to experience what life is really all about and became a kinder,gentler person compared to who I used to be. Fifty years is not a long time as I reflect on how fast it went by,but as rich as my life experiences were,I would not feel slighted it it ended tomorrow.
At times,I find it difficult to place total trust in medical professionals after seeing the botched methods they used on their crash test dummy from the real world. I was forced to learn life lessons in a few short years that most will never learn in an entire lifetime. That in itself makes me special and something I take pride in.

A person must consider that no matter how bad their life seems,there are many others who are worse off than they are.

I remember a morning after I was released from a five month live in brain injury rehabilitation facility.
There was a session of about one hour where I thought that life as I knew it had ended and cried like a baby...there were many obstacles to overcome,a broken brain,a Frankenstein like scar and indentation that covers half my forehead,crossed eyes from a poorly formed eye-socket,near total paralysis of my left arm,the inability to read and extreme difficulty in walking from both atrophy of my muscles and a lack of balance that looked like a set of challenges I was not up to...it was my first and only breakdown I had concerning my injuries. After drying up my tears of sorrow for myself,I sat upright and said out loud to myself, "get your sh*t together motherf*cker,you never quit on me before,you aren't allowed to quit now"

From that day forward,I have made many great strides and have overcome most of my obstacles. As a biker kind of guy,I wear my bandanna pulled down low to cover my nasty scar...I don't appear much different than before.
After about 1,000 word search puzzles were completed,reading got easier again and I broke out my computer to polish my act.
Shear determination was the driving force to fix my own arm...one armed guys cannot do it all,I needed it back...it is back and strong as ever
The walking part was a walk in the park so to speak,first with a dog that is special to me and then on my own as a determined individual who wanted to be whole again.
After walking became less of struggle,I climbed onto my bicycle and mastered it again...less than two years after my accident,I rode the same Harley-Davidson that tried to kill me...not bad for a man that the pros and family wrote off and had removed from life support...
I will soon turn 55 and realize that my world will become more difficult each passing day,but will never quit at anything again...I hope that twenty years from now,I can tell you about my 75th birthday party...
My renewed life should be an inspiration to those who have troubles to overcome,no matter how slight they appear to others or difficult they appear to yourself

The fact that I am quick to defend goodness. I am a good friend if one cares to give me the chance. I have a sense of humour and also know when to be serious.

When I cook, it is to please the eyes, as well as the palate.

I take note of what turns my husband's eyes.

Very discerning and can easily tap into how the other thinks.

I am proud of my nose and like my hair colour.

My conscious easily attacks me, when I know I have done something wrong or should be doing something else.

I do not allow being an aspie, as an excuse to live a stupid life.

I can only drink alcohol when happy; never smoked and hate drugs.

I have a look of innocence about me, which according to my husband, I could get away with murder, but since I prefer peace.......

Well, honesty, empathy, wanting to help people, determination not to quit.. they've all been mentioned already, so that leaves me.. positive thinking, even in literally mentally disabling circumstances.. the strength to move forward, to progress despite the loss of, well everything I worked for all my life.. Hope and Faith! :)

That I'm creative and sensitive to materials - wood, paper, ceramics, fabric etc. Even though I've taken some extended pauses of 'not trying', I've never completely quit when it come to the obstacle that I've faced in life.

I'm like a lot of the other people posting in a way.
I do not give up. I'd have to be deleted from existence to stop me when I get going, no matter how much people try to stop me.

LOL, yeah well, that's why I had to ask the question. My therapist thinks I'm not being authentic enough with people, but I pointed out that I tried really hard to be more authentic over the past two years, and it just got crazier and crazier to where I had to pack it all away again or drive everyone off.

How can you be authentic when what comes out is seriously and inherently flawed (i.e., social ignorance, misjudgments of people, bizarre miscommunications, mood disorder, intense interests in things no one else cares much about, ingrained dysfunctional patterns that I'm working on but still seep out)?

And what happens when, even when the real you comes out, flaws and all, and if you happen to have found someone who can accept you as you are, and you STILL don't feel connected?
I honestly wouldn't know what to do about the connection problem. I would definitely feel grateful for the acceptance. I guess I'd feel disappointed about not connecting. Followed by wondering if we actually did connect but previous expectations made me imagine it would feel different so I wouldn't notice the real deal. And then finally getting frustrated that I overthink everything, and just try to shut my brain off and roll with it. :confused:
But when somebody else starts showing their true colors, I get fascinated instead of overthinking. I feel I connect more with others when they're the ones illustrating and showing. And then the overthinking kicks in again and I wonder if I'm being selfish for making them do all the sharing while I don't offer much in return...

My mutism is less about not having anything to say and more of an info bottlenecking issue!

You're so right, sweetie. I'd never have the confidence to say any such in public, in face. Typing is my mask :)
The only people I can admit stuff to in person are those that know me really well like my mom or husband, and they wouldn't be ones to call my arrogant or anything. If anything, they tell me I downplay stuff too much. But modesty comes with a much lighter stigma, it's hard to be honest sometimes! :confused:
Typing is awesome. And comes with a wonderful backspace button so nobody knows how bad my fingers stutter. I wish my mouth had the same function, I trip up so bad in person.

I like how I have helped others in my class. And it didn't take me much effort to help them out. :p They just seemed like amazing people to try a friendship with, so I didn't have much keeping me from wanting to be their friend. And it all worked out really amazingly, and I didn't find out until later that they too had their own social issues and I became a person to talk to who understood completely what they had trouble with. It does feel good how much I helped them, and how much they helped me as well. :D

I like my creative bent (arts in general), my BS detector (doesn't work everywhere, but does work at work), my perception/intuition -- and my ability to solve complex social system problems. And my conscientiousness. I do wish my sense of justice wasn't so uncompromising, because it's been my undoing when others get away with their...integrity challenges. If you know the story of Samson, you know what I'm talking about.

New Threads

Top Bottom